Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 25,085 times

Advertisements

So my husband got the 2nd face-to-face interview and we're making our first trip up to Gillette from the 13 - 16 June!! I was wondering if you or anyone else had any suggestions on where to start looking for housing while we're there. There doesn't seem to be too many listings for homes to rent online. We will want to rent a small home while we save up for a down payment and make sure the job will work out, then we'll probably purchase a home in a year or so. We're not even certain we have the job yet, but we're confident enough to start planning ahead a little, before I'm too too pregnant and moving becomes even more complicated, haha. If you have ANY info, it would be very appreciated, homes you might be aware of, good sources to look at, maybe some info about some of the surrounding towns that may have some places available. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Move14 View Post
So my husband got the 2nd face-to-face interview and we're making our first trip up to Gillette from the 13 - 16 June!! I was wondering if you or anyone else had any suggestions on where to start looking for housing while we're there. There doesn't seem to be too many listings for homes to rent online. We will want to rent a small home while we save up for a down payment and make sure the job will work out, then we'll probably purchase a home in a year or so. We're not even certain we have the job yet, but we're confident enough to start planning ahead a little, before I'm too too pregnant and moving becomes even more complicated, haha. If you have ANY info, it would be very appreciated, homes you might be aware of, good sources to look at, maybe some info about some of the surrounding towns that may have some places available. Thanks so much!!
This could turn out to be perfect for you. We are buying a home here (FINALLY sold our home in Montana!) so will be moving out of our cute little rental house hopefully by the 1st of July. I talked to our landlady today and she wants to be very particular about who she rents to. She would rather have a couple than someone with a lot of kids as the house is small and she wants to keep it nice as they will be retiring and moving into the house in about 5-10 years. She and her husband are great people. This was her mother's home and they completely remodeled it right before she passed away not long before we moved in. The house was built in 1978 but has new carpet, laminate wood flooring in the kitchen, beautiful new kitchen cabinets, and new paint. It has new steel siding with great insulation. There is a fireplace but it isn't useable, but is pretty! The house is small, only about 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom (although the larger one is BIG with 2 closets), 1 bath. It does have a 2 car garage, storage shed, and a nice sized fenced yard. It's in a nice, quiet neighborhood just on the outskirts of Gillette. Utilities are really reasonable and the rent can't be beat. If you DM me, I'll give you more info on that. It would be the perfect home to rent while you save up to buy. When you DM me we could exchange phone #'s if you'd like and while you are in town I'd be happy to show you the house. Then you would know if it's something you'd be interested in before you contact our landlords. Let me know what you think!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
This could turn out to be perfect for you. We are buying a home here (FINALLY sold our home in Montana!) so will be moving out of our cute little rental house hopefully by the 1st of July. I talked to our landlady today and she wants to be very particular about who she rents to. She would rather have a couple than someone with a lot of kids as the house is small and she wants to keep it nice as they will be retiring and moving into the house in about 5-10 years. She and her husband are great people. This was her mother's home and they completely remodeled it right before she passed away not long before we moved in. The house was built in 1978 but has new carpet, laminate wood flooring in the kitchen, beautiful new kitchen cabinets, and new paint. It has new steel siding with great insulation. There is a fireplace but it isn't useable, but is pretty! The house is small, only about 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom (although the larger one is BIG with 2 closets), 1 bath. It does have a 2 car garage, storage shed, and a nice sized fenced yard. It's in a nice, quiet neighborhood just on the outskirts of Gillette. Utilities are really reasonable and the rent can't be beat. If you DM me, I'll give you more info on that. It would be the perfect home to rent while you save up to buy. When you DM me we could exchange phone #'s if you'd like and while you are in town I'd be happy to show you the house. Then you would know if it's something you'd be interested in before you contact our landlords. Let me know what you think!
I forgot to mention that if this house doesn't work out for you, I have a realtor friend I can send you to for help. She's awesome and would also be great for future reference when you're ready to buy. If I were you I would stick to looking in Gillette even though rent is higher here. There aren't many towns close to here (well, Rozet is 15 miles but not really a "town"....). Moorcroft is almost 30 miles so is the closest. I'd hate for you to be even that far away from where your hubby will be working when you are pregnant and when you have a tiny baby to care for. Also, during the winter the roads can be really yucky or even closed. But of course it is up to you two as far as how far out of Gillette you are willing to live! Take care!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
I was given a tour of one of the largest mines South of town. The mine manager told me they had 30 positions paying 45K off the street and he only had 30 resumes....Only 10 past the drug test. He said meth was rampant. I'm not going to judge the town because I only spent a few days there. It did remind me of an old boom town where men outnumber the women by a large margin. Also hundreds of mobile homes dot the landscape. I drove on to Sheridan and Red Lodge....looked much nicer. One old timer was driving me back to Gillette from the mine and he said you know what they say about Wyoming women don't you? There is a pretty girl behind every tree!..........There wasn't a tree in site for miles!..LOL

I will say this. If you want to work, there is a job for you in Gillette. They do have that going for them.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I was given a tour of one of the largest mines South of town. The mine manager told me they had 30 positions paying 45K off the street and he only had 30 resumes....Only 10 past the drug test. He said meth was rampant. I'm not going to judge the town because I only spent a few days there. It did remind me of an old boom town where men outnumber the women by a large margin. Also hundreds of mobile homes dot the landscape. I drove on to Sheridan and Red Lodge....looked much nicer. One old timer was driving me back to Gillette from the mine and he said you know what they say about Wyoming women don't you? There is a pretty girl behind every tree!..........There wasn't a tree in site for miles!..LOL

I will say this. If you want to work, there is a job for you in Gillette. They do have that going for them.
There may be meth around Gillette, but I'm sure some of the failed drug tests were due to marijuana, too. I've been here a year and haven't met anyone who does meth (that I know of anyway) yet. I know that law enforcement here is really cracking down on drugs. 47 people were involved in a drug trafficking bust here last week, so that's a good start! Gillette may have a lot of mobile homes, but there are a lot of nice areas, too. It isn't the Gillette of the early boom days. We really like it here! As I've said before, it's all in the person who lives here's attitude. Come with a good one, and I think you'll like Gillette and the great peope here! I'm glad to hear that the job market is picking up again!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM

203 posts, read 712,641 times
As someone who did live in San Bernardino County, which is or was the Meth Capital of the US, for 7 years, I think I can tell you the effects of meth. I even had assistants who did meth and PCP. Like everywhere I have lived, there is meth. Gillette is no different. Sheridan has about half the population, compared to Gillette. There is drugs everywhere. And yes a lot of the infractions are weed related.

Regarding women, this isn't Alaska, there are lots of women especially families and the population is young average 35 yrs. There is lots to do. As someone who grew up in one of 50 most expensive zip codes in the country, I don't feel like I am missing out living in Gillette. I like the people here, a lot.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM

48 posts, read 137,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Move14 View Post

good luck with everything. I going into a similar situation..I'm starting work with Powder River Coal on June 15, and we decided to buy a house...we couldn't find one to rent that allowed dogs. plus with Obama's tax credit and my VA loan...just decided to make the plunge.

plus we've having a baby too and don't want to move anymore than necessary.

we are gonna get there today!

anywho, good luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 25,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj1983 View Post
good luck with everything. I going into a similar situation..I'm starting work with Powder River Coal on June 15, and we decided to buy a house...we couldn't find one to rent that allowed dogs. plus with Obama's tax credit and my VA loan...just decided to make the plunge.

plus we've having a baby too and don't want to move anymore than necessary.

we are gonna get there today!

anywho, good luck!
Good luck to you...the house, the job, the baby. Hopefully we'll be following you out there soon!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,814 times
Default cole mine jobs

could you please e-mail me the name of the mine manager: I had 2 sons move there , this year, looking for work in the mines, one got a job with the state the other had to go to Rawlins to work, both have CDL's, and don't do drugs, but were told not hiring at the mines. maybooks@peak.org have more to say. thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemay View Post
could you please e-mail me the name of the mine manager: I had 2 sons move there , this year, looking for work in the mines, one got a job with the state the other had to go to Rawlins to work, both have CDL's, and don't do drugs, but were told not hiring at the mines. maybooks@peak.org have more to say. thank you
This was two years ago. It may very well be the case now with the economy that they are not hiring.

I don't wish to go into what mine it was but it would have been the same with all the big mines I'd imagine.

Just off the top of my head....Jacobs Ranch, Black Thunder, Bellaire, Caballo, North Antelope, Eagle Butte, Rawhide, Cordero, Spring Creek (mt), Decker (mt), Buckskin etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming