Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times

Advertisements

We're moving to WY in October from TX. I've been there and done that in TX, but I'd like some input on some fun things that may not be so obvious for families to do.
I don't know, like a scenic roadtrip, the best place to catch a sunrise, super fishing lakes, etc.
Tell us your favorite places and things to do that a new resident may not know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Where will you be living?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
Personally love the Lander area. Sinks canyon, just outside of Lander, leads to a beautiful mountain switchback road that winds its way by mountain lakes and pretty peaks. Also to the south of Lander is the South Pass city area which isn't far from the Oregon trail. Kind of fun for kids to say they've been able to stand on the trail. South Pass is a living museum of sorts.. not sure what the cost is to get in but interesting.

Other fun "road trip" places... Dubois, Jackson, Yellowstone, Cody... to name a few. Wyoming is a great state! Good luck with your move! How old are your kids?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM

We'll be in Laramie.

We're hoping to take "staycations" within the state. We will be super far away from our families, and we're hoping they come visit us, but we are restless and like to get out and explore.

Our kids are 7, 5, and 2. My five year old remarked to my husband after Hurrican Ike (one of the BIG reasons we want to get out of here) that Houston is ugly. She wants to live somewhere pretty. I hope Wyoming will satisfy here urging!

While visiting Laramie last year, we went up into the Snowies and I was cursing myself for not brining better shoes in which to hike. The sights were breathtaking for us. We took the drive from Laramie to Ft. Collins, too and that was lovely. I'm dabbling in photography as a hobby and learning more and more, so I'm so thrilled to move to an area that is so beautiful and not polluted.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Snowy Range / Encampment / Wood's Landing loop for a nice autumn drive. Don't forget to take your suits for a dip in the Hobo pool at Saragtoga.

The kids and you ought to love the museum at Encampment and aspen colors are good in the area.

Veedauwoo (between Cheyenne and Laramie on I-80) great place for star gazing (better in the summer than winter, as you can lay on a 'hot' rock.)

Red Feather Lakes, near Livermore, CO

Next summer you will what to do the Walden, CO / Grand Lake / Estes Park / Loveland / Ft Collins loop (I prefer counter Clockwise, for scenery on west side of RMNP, and the vistas coming down Trail Ridge Road)

Buckhorn Canyon (turn north of US34 at Big Thompson School, and left again at Masonville) to Chambers Pass is a way to avoid the traffic and crowds of Ft Collins

Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Sometime when in the NE corner of Wyoming I'd recommend a coal mine tour. For years Amax Coal gave tours, then it was Foundation Coal when they bought out Amax. Foundation is now being sold, so I'm not sure if the new owners will continue the tours or not, but I'd check at the Visitor's Information Center (where the tours originate) to see if coal mine tours are available. You've gotta get down in those mines next to the big equipment to appreciate them. It also gives you a chance to see what the reclaimed land looks like, etc., etc. If you're a resident of Wyoming, you oughta see a mine up close.

Also, Devils Tower, the nation's first National Monument, shouldn't be missed. While there, I recommend finding your way to Cook Lake. (Head almost to Hulett, then take a right onto a gravel road and follow it to the lake.) It's not so much the lake as the drive to it. It's a nice glimpse of the northern Black Hills.

And then swing into South Dakota and enjoy the Hills -- Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Reptile Gardens, pan for gold, etc. The Black Hills are as good as it gets for family touring. If you've got the time, head 60 miles east of Rapid City and see the Badlands national Monument (and Wall Drug, of course).

North Central Wyoming features the beautiful Bighorn Mountains. In most states these would be tourist-filled, but because they're situated halfway between the Black Hills and Yellowstone Nat'l Park, tourists whiz through at 60 mph. If you enjoy camping, hiking, x-country skiing, snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, etc., the Bighorns are hard to beat. The easiest ways to approach them are via Hwy. 16 between Buffalo and Ten Sleep or Hwy. 14 between Ranchester and Greybull. At the least, bring a pickup or 4x4 to get off the main roads and enjoy them properly.

While in the area, check out some of the historic areas such as Fort Fetterman and the site of the Wagon Box Fight -- the area between Buffalo and Sheridan (via Story and Big Horn). There's good evidence white man was in the area long before the Lewis and Clark Expedition; it's really rich in history. Kids will love the fish hatchery in Story, and the Brinton-Bradford Museum (near Big Horn) gives a nice look at life in the late 1800s from a cattle baron's perspective. (And budding photographers will likely appreciate the art on display.)

If you're willing to travel just a bit into Montana, Custer Battlefield is a nice historic spot. I'd recommend it in early Spring before it gets too hot and while the grass is still green. And if you're a fly fisherman, head up to Fort Smith and float the first 5 miles of the bighorn river below the dam. You can rent a drift boat, and if it's the first time on the river, you might do better with a guide. Be prepared for some NICE German browns and rainbows in the 2-foot range.

There's a little start for ya.....

Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM

309 posts, read 991,211 times
Foxpark

Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
If you get over to the eastern side of Wyoming (just a short trip from Laramie), you may want to check out Guernsey Reservoir, the town of Guernsey, and the surrounding area. Register Cliff and the Wagon trail ruts are near there, and Ft. Laramie is just a little further down the road. All of these are part of the Oregon Trail history. From there, it's not too far into western Nebraska, where you can check out Scottsbluff (both the city and the National Monument) and Chimney Rock, also points of interest on the Oregon Trail.

Back in Wyoming, and a little further north of Guernsey is Glendo, another town with a nice reservoir which is a popular vacation destination for people from as far away as Denver.

Northwest of there is Douglas, which is the site of the Wyoming State Fair, and also has several museums, river floating opportunities, and is also close to Ayres natural bridge, a beautiful county park that is home to the only natural bridge in the U.S. that has water flowing under it continuously.

Between Douglas and Laramie, you'll pass by Laramie Peak, which offers beautiful scenery and some hiking opportunities.

Besides what's already been mentioned, you will probably also want to take several trips to Cheyenne. There is a lot to see and do there, including the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo. During the same time, the Union Pacific Railroad runs an excursion train between Cheyenne and Denver, powered by one of the few remaining operational steam locomotives. It is a sight to behold, especially if the kids have never seen such a thing. Speaking of railroads, there are also the historic depot and the (non-operational) Big Boy locomotive to see while in Cheyenne.

Cheyenne is also the State Capitol, so you can check out the Capitol building and the Governor's Mansion while you're there. In between the Capitol building and the Governor's Mansion is Lions Park, which has the rodeo grounds, Western Museum, a nice lake (and a couple others close by), and the Botanic Garden. They are just finishing construction on the Children's Garden next to the Botanic Garden, and from what I saw of it a couple weeks ago, it will be a wonderful place for you and your kids to explore.

These suggestions just cover a small portion of the state, and are, by no means exhaustive. If you search online and ask a few locals, I am sure you can find a ton more stuff to see and do when you get to Laramie.

Edit: check out the Cheyenne website for more ideas of things to do when you visit there. Here's the link: http://www.cheyenne.org/index.cfm

Last edited by jdavid93225; 08-14-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Thank you everyone! I literally jotted down everyone's ideas in a notebook. I'm just so thrilled to see a new landscape. I have been quite sick of Texas for a very long time. I hate the humidity and heat, the pollution, the neverending haze, the crowds, the traffic, the rudeness, and the crime.

Don't get me wrong, there are some lovely parts of TX, like the Hill Country but we are in Houston and it's so dreadful.

I appreciate the responses, thank you!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Great ideas,
add Hot Springs, Wind Caves, and Car Henge (Chadron, NE) to your western SD trip. The kids will like the wild donkeys in Custer State Park. (don't feed them (donkeys)from the car or they will climb right in !)

Read some 'Old' history books about a region you want to go too, and ask lots of questions from 'the locals' when there. (ask at grocery, hardware, cafes, museum, library...) I met a 'very old gal' at Wagon Box Massacre, who's dad had served in the cavalry there. She had written some WY history books. It was great to talk with her (and change her flat tire for her). It is always worthwhile to take time for old folks, as you will learn a lot and teach your kids the value of inter-generational learning.

I just learned a lot from this site, http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wy-fortphilkearny.html
join the fun, your kids are gonna love WY (tho 'pretty' is all in perspective'). Not sure I will see 'pretty' as well, going from 'evergreen' WA (where we have 300' tall trees in our forest at our house) to TX (Hill Country), but that is one of my short-term destinations to get 'tax-free-passive' income property working for me so I can really 'retire'.

As soon as possible, get those kids swimming and comfortable in the water. Some of my best WY trips were in Kayak, Raft, Canoe, Float-tube, inner-tube... you can see LOTS of wildlife as they don't hear you coming, the rivers are spectacular (and a bit chilly).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-16-2009 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming