Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 AM

213 posts, read 765,374 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Jay Em area. I know it's a "ghost town" now, but there is a possibility of us getting a 2,000 ranch halfway between Lingle and Lusk. Does the snow blow harder there? Is it windier than other parts of Wyoming? I realize it's in the middle of nowhere and you have to drive 25 miles to either close town or 35 miles to Torrington, but would appreciate any information someone out there may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Do you mean 2,000 head or 2,000 acres?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Do you mean 2,000 head or 2,000 acres?
THANKS Sunspot. Sorry on the error. It is 2,000 acres.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 PM

144 posts, read 628,070 times
By Wyoming standards, Jay Em is less windy than, say, Cheyenne, mostly due to its lower elevation ("only" about 4200 feet MSL as opposed to 6200 ft in Cheyenne or 7000+ in Laramie). That doesn't mean there's no wind, however. We get plenty of 10-25 mph breezes, and higher winds are fairly common.

If you're thinking of ranching on the property, you need to do a lot of research into the water rights laws in the state. There may be water on your property that "belongs" to another rancher with longer-standing water rights.

Also, there is a proposed dairy operation in nearby Prairie Center. The county commissioners have yet to vote on the issue, and I don't know how having a large commercial dairy nearby would impact on your plans. The Torrington Telegram (available on-line) has run some recent articles.

Finally, unless you were on one of NASA's lunar probes, Jay Em is more remote than you can possibly imagine. How far will your place be from US 85, which is the only real road in the area? If you sit more than a mile off of the main road, you're facing some long trips on gravel roads.

Best of luck and welcome to Goshen County.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 PM

It's nice country out there.

2,000 acres is enough to have your own places to ride and enjoy in privacy.

You won't be able to raise many head of cattle year round on that size of a place without supplemental feeding.

Do you have water rights for irrigation? Is there functional water available?

Do have the water there used for domestic or drinking purposes tested, especially for nitrates. The area farmers have over fertilized for years and it's leaching through the aquifers into the wells. The medical effects of the nitrates on you and your livestock can be devastating .... You may need to filter and reverse osmosis clean the water. Many people in the area don't know of this issue.

It can be pretty brutal in the winter months. Be prepared for the possibility of being snowed in for a few days several times every winter.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It's nice country out there.

2,000 acres is enough to have your own places to ride and enjoy in privacy.

You won't be able to raise many head of cattle year round on that size of a place without supplemental feeding.

Do you have water rights for irrigation? Is there functional water available?

Do have the water there used for domestic or drinking purposes tested, especially for nitrates. The area farmers have over fertilized for years and it's leaching through the aquifers into the wells. The medical effects of the nitrates on you and your livestock can be devastating .... You may need to filter and reverse osmosis clean the water. Many people in the area don't know of this issue.

It can be pretty brutal in the winter months. Be prepared for the possibility of being snowed in for a few days several times every winter.
SUNSPIRIT and SIXOFONE, thanks for the information. Don't know just yet how far from Highway 85 the ranch is located, just getting the facts in at present so don't have all the information yet. I know it's pretty isolated like I was in northwest Alaska. SUNSPIRIT, per the owner, the property can run 220 pairs with supplemental feeding (I would say with a heck of a lot of supplemental feeding) on the almost 2300 acres (not 2000 I mentioned earlier). We'll see how thiings develop, and I'll be sure to check on water quality as well as water rights before any finalization of buying any property in Wyoming.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 AM

144 posts, read 628,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
SUNSPIRIT and SIXOFONE, thanks for the information. Don't know just yet how far from Highway 85 the ranch is located, just getting the facts in at present so don't have all the information yet. I know it's pretty isolated like I was in northwest Alaska. SUNSPIRIT, per the owner, the property can run 220 pairs with supplemental feeding (I would say with a heck of a lot of supplemental feeding) on the almost 2300 acres (not 2000 I mentioned earlier). We'll see how thiings develop, and I'll be sure to check on water quality as well as water rights before any finalization of buying any property in Wyoming.

Keep a sharp eye on the cost of "supplemental feeding". As of this week, the county has yet to decide on the request to open the dairy in Prairie Center. If the dairy opens, they will be milking approximately 5,000 head, and may raise up to 5,000 head more as replacement stock. That's 10,000 more cows which will need supplemental feed. Any increase in the cost of supplemental feed would cut into your profit margin.

Additionally. ethanol production is booming locally and the ethanol plant in Torrington is paying 5 cents per bushel over the market price for corn. The local farmers are happy, but ranchers don't like paying more to feed their livestock.

On the other hand, if you are buying the ranch as investment property, there is a good chance that the property values will appreciate.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Cow quality hay is now running about $100 ton + delivery in semi-loads.

Of course, this will change in a few months when the 1st cutting comes in.

I see that our local stockpiles in the Cheyenne area are rapidly being shipped out.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Cow quality hay is now running about $100 ton + delivery in semi-loads.

Of course, this will change in a few months when the 1st cutting comes in.

I see that our local stockpiles in the Cheyenne area are rapidly being shipped out.
SIXOFONE & SUNSPIRIT: Thanks for the follow-up. Much appreciated. If any other news pops up, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming