Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,261,695 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any real estate agents in Laramie or Rock Springs. I am planning to buy several acres of vacant land for my telescope. It needs to be in a dark area far enough away from large cities that there is not much light pollution but it also has to be close enough I can drive there from the airport. I looked at land in west texas but it actually takes longer to get to the Big Bend area from Houston than it does to Laramie because the nearest airport is 350 miles away. I also want to get far enough from I-70, Ft. Collins, and Denver to be away from light pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
I'd get online and search the available properties ... or better still, since you have a very specific purpose for your land, go visit the areas.

You don't mention how much development you plan on your place. Will you be building a residence?

For the most part, to buy a parcel out of the town areas, you'll be looking at more than several acres.
Will you need utilities? Water? What type of road access to your place? year 'round?

If you're a GA pilot, then both airstrips are reasonably accessible ... although both are subject to very strong winds and strong gusts for much of the year. I've taxied in at both and thought I had flat tires because the bird was bouncing up and down so badly in the buffeting. Definitely places for aircraft that can handle strong gusty cross-winds on landings .... Both strips have parking areas for your long-term airport vehicle.

If you're flying commercially from Houston, then you might want to check out the travel costs. RKS is best accessed from Houston via Delta/connections at SLC, currently about $350 round trip; one flight in/out RKS per day. Laramie is best accessed from Houston via Denver and Great Lakes to Laramie, with a couple of flights per day ... but DIA to LAR is about $300 round trip just for that segment of your travel.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Have you considered northern Nevada or western Utah? Elko or Ely, Nevada, possibly? Those areas look like they might serve your purpose quite well. Salt Lake City and Reno (or even Elko or Ely for general aviation) have their own airports, and would be close to the large areas shown on the map that I've attached below:

Light Pollution Map USA

Those large areas are most of the area between the two cities mentioned above.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Have you considered northern Nevada or western Utah? Elko or Ely, Nevada, possibly? Those areas look like they might serve your purpose quite well. Salt Lake City and Reno (or even Elko or Ely for general aviation) have their own airports, and would be close to the large areas shown on the map that I've attached below:

Light Pollution Map USA

Those large areas are most of the area between the two cities mentioned above.
land/there is a man called adding marbles selling land on ebay- he brags about how great his parcels are/ elko is one of his areas=by the way his land is cheap--if you cant find him i will send you a link if you need me to

Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 AM

47 posts, read 109,678 times
Brokerage Southwest in Rock Springs is the only one I can think of offhand, I've had pretty good luck with them. Grew up in Laramie, but never had to buy property there. I'll ask my Dad next time I talk to him. You might also try running down Elk_Hunter on here, he's from the same area I am and pretty knowledgeable too.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
dosn't the UW have big telescope up by or in the snowys?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
They sure do. University of Wyoming Infrared Observatory

Quote:

The University of Wyomings 2.3-meter telescope is located at the Wyoming Infrared Observatory (WIRO) about 25 miles southwest of Laramie, WY on the summit of Jelm Mt. and at an altitude of 9656 ft. (2943m). This site was chosen because: (1) the dryness of the air, an important consideration for infrared astronomy since moisture strongly absorbs infrared radiation, (2) comparatively low turbulence in the air above the mountain, (3) a dark night sky, (4) close proximity to the University of Wyoming, and (5) pre-existing road, electricity and phone lines since Jelm was formerly used by the US Forest Service and BLM as a fire lookout station.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker_Yanker View Post
Brokerage Southwest in Rock Springs is the only one I can think of offhand, I've had pretty good luck with them. Grew up in Laramie, but never had to buy property there. I'll ask my Dad next time I talk to him. You might also try running down Elk_Hunter on here, he's from the same area I am and pretty knowledgeable too.
I live up by Sheridan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming