Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM

59 posts, read 234,159 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are planning a move to cheyenne also and we are from northern ca we are sick of it here too, my husband is a big car guy too he has one he is working on now ! well good luck to you and your family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Got friend in Torrington into the hot rod pulling tractors...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
Smile Ca residents...

I must apologize for my fellow Californians... We DEFINITELY DO have too many leftists here. Probably the main reason for the "flight".
My Son in law and daughter will be moving to Torrington area, as he's a retired Marine, and will work at the Prison. He is currently at the Base in "Academy". All of his remarks about the area are very positive. He loves it and will most likely stay for a few years. His original home state is Minn. so the weather will be ok...

So ho easy on us "Californians"... not all are bad...

Matt

[Mod Cut]

There is no "bad" or "gang banger" area in town, if that's what you're asking, however the south end of town is less affluent, and the homes are smaller and older.

Homes here will be far cheaper than you're used to seeing in California, and $400K should buy you the largest and very nicest homes in town. Rentals, however, are hard to come by, as the locals and a few speculators are planning to make a profit off of you new-comers by raising their rents.

Schools are good, and probably much smaller than you're accustomed to. Torrington High has about 430 students total (grades 9-12) and Southeast High and Lingle High (the other 2 Goshen county high schools} have an enrollment of less than 100 students each. Elementary and Middle schools are similarly sized.

Shopping and dining is limited here in Torrington. About 30 miles to the east is Scottsbluff Nebraska, which is larger and has more of the amenities that out-of-town folks are accustomed to (e.g., mall, cineplex, Super Wal-Mart, Target, better restaurants, etc). There's more rental housing there as well.

Just a word of advice-- many of the locals have a very poor opinion of California. I'd suggest making your first stop the county clerk's office, where you can get Wyoming tags for your car. Otherwise the cops tend to stare at you.

Good luck on your move.[/quote]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-10-2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: New users cannot recommend other sites. That site has already been listed more then once.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 PM

89 posts, read 253,119 times
There are a number of economic related reasons to live in Torrington rather than Scottsbluff, or anywhere in Nebraska. Don't get me wrong, the whole area is very nice, in a rural kind of way (which I personally like). Someone already mentioned the lack of personal income tax in WY, whereas NE has one. Also, I do believe property taxes tend to be a bit higher in NE, but I'm not sure how much so. Taxes, taxes, taxes, JEEZE, that's the biggest difference. Living in the community in which you work also says a lot about your committment to the area as you have a personal stake in keeping it safe, clean, YOUR kids go to school there, and supporting the local business'.

Just my .02 for what's it worth. Things in most small communities in this part of the Country are quite a bit different than EITHER coast, even the northern end of them .

Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 AM

40 posts, read 94,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatmyke View Post
Thanks for all of the info guys. How about living in Scottsbluff. Is that a reasonable area to live while working in Torrington? How are housing prices and rentals going?

Anyone have an idea if I am able to live in NE while being an employee of the state of Wyoming?
1. Do you have any law enforcement experience?
2. Do you have any idea what they pay?
3. Do you have any idea what benefits they offer?

I wouldn't want to deter anyone but I'd check some stuff out before I concidered a move for a state job in Wyoming. I'm just saying I wouldn't expect $75,000 starting wage and retiring at full pay after 25 years like law enforcement in CA. Just food for thought because I don't know what line of work you are in at this time.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 AM

40 posts, read 94,824 times
[quote=1Match;12388306]I must apologize for my fellow Californians... We DEFINITELY DO have too many leftists here.

I don't see too many real conservatives in Wyoming.
Here is what you need to do. Subtract all of the Wyoming residents out there that are collecting federal welfare like social security and medicare. Then ask the next conservative you see if he will give that welfare up and bite the bullet for the RIGHT. They don't mind taking it. Oops, I take it too. They just don't want you to have it. I wouldn't care if my neighbor is left or right. We are all human beings and vote in private at the polls. I only remind them if they bring up the subject that maybe they are not as RIGHT as they think.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 AM

53 posts, read 179,205 times
I am getting sort of mixed messages about this town. Would you say it is open minded, or more traditional and conservative? I am thinking of relocating, but I am worried that I will be judged for something like tattoos or being a single mother. Also, is there any food for vegetarians? I don't mean a full on vegan restaraunt, but what about something like Morning Star sold in the grocery store? Tahnks for the help

Old 02-13-2010, 02:22 AM

Also, I can't help but think about Matthew Shepherd when I think about WY. I'm assuming that was an isolated incident and not indicative of the mindset there, am I correct?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 AM

49 posts, read 96,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post
Also, I can't help but think about Matthew Shepherd when I think about WY. I'm assuming that was an isolated incident and not indicative of the mindset there, am I correct?
You are correct....the Matthew Shepherd incident was isolated and not indicative of the mindset here. I lived in Laramie when that happened and it was about so much more than the national news reported. The guys who did that had been strung out on meth for days, etc.

But don't get me wrong....Torrington and most of Wyoming is VERY conservative. Interestingly enough, however, tattoos and single mothers will be welcome here and we have plenty of both. I guess Wyoming is conservative in a gun-ownership, free-thinking, to each-his/her-own, old-west kind of way. Don't know if that makes sense, but I DON'T believe you will be judged because of tattoos, single motherhood, race, gender, etc.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM

So ddb_wy would you say it is more conservative in the traditional sense, less government involvement in personal lives, than in the neo-con way of imposing christian values?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming