Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 33,473 times

Advertisements

The winters can be horrible. Don't let it scare you away, because it varys year to year. We generally have 9 months of very cold weather. You always keep a coat in the car, even when you think it's summer. As well as they maintain the streets, it's also suprising that the trip from G.R to R.S can sometimes be horrindous. Mostly however, everyone does fine. As far as the schools go, I would prefer Green River for the childrens sake. Our drug eppedemic is like nothing I've ever seen. Not only do you have to worry about the kids getting on drugs, but the behaviors of the children raised in drug households. I have seen people hi as young as 12 and as old as 75. I am talking about Methanphetamines. For some reason, it is just not nearly as bad in G.R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 18,597 times
Coming from California you will probably feel the housing cost to be a bit less, but we came from Texas and they are horrible here compared to there. The cost there is going up fast, but you can still get a new home lets say 3200 sq ft under $400k with a pool and half an acre here you pay $150k more. We only had three homes to choose from once we checked out what they had listed at the time lots of junk. Not many homes had granite, tile, wood fire place, hardwood floors and so many in need of new kitchens, carpet and the rooms are so small.

The biggest issue we found they are including unfinished basements in the square footage which made the price look fine until you see unfinished space if you then divide usuable sq ft by price your paying well over $200 a sq ft. We chose the home with a finished basement as I can't see paying such a high price for something I have to finish.

We have no idea about schools as our kids are grown, but we chose Green River as the feel of the town is so much better. Anyone I spoke to while we stayed in the motel looking for a house kept saying "buy in Rock Springs" then their reason was you have to drive from GR to RS to shop. We found that a stupid reason to settle for a smaller home at a higher price as you do get more house for the money in GR. They do have new homes being built, but they were so small once we looked at them the listing would say 3200 sq ft, but that included the basement so it was only 1600 sq ft finished and we haven't lived in a home that small since our first house thirty years ago!

Another thing to consider if you decide to purchase and finish the basement it's extremely hard to find anyone to work on your projects. We had to call for two weeks trying to find an electrician and still haven't found anyone to put up a fence we wanted to add so we're doing everything ourselves the locals say this has been going on for a few years now. This would be a great place for new business or a handy man service!

We also don't drive over to RS very often as we've found most of what we need here in GR. The grocery store Smith's is great and they have an Ace hardware. We have driven to Salt Lake City once and will be going again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming