Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
[font=Century Gothic]Elkhunter mentioned in an earlier post that Craig was to have been at the library in Ranchester recently. Unfortunately he was unable to make that appearance because he was finishing filming the pilot for the TV show. However, I just spoke with the library and there will be a “Spend the Evening with Craig” event on Friday, May 27th from 5:30 to 7 pm. That’s the day after tomorrow at the Tongue River Branch in Ranchester. He will be talking about both the new book and the TV series. They did not know if he would have any advance copies of the new book for sale. However….

Craig will be at the bookstore on Main Street in Sheridan on June 1st at 6 pm signing his new book “Hell is Empty”. That’s the day before the official release. His wife also has a store in Sheridan called “The Bucking Buffalo”.
Did you make it to the signing? Ticked me off that I didn't make it. I'm home tonight. What's the saying, "A day late...."

I used to read Louis Lamour, as many of us did. But why I read his work was a little different. The very first book I picked up of his wrote about an area that I used to Elk Hunt in. He described a cabin, a lightning blasted tree. I had seen the old foundation and part of a chimney still standing, I have seen that tree. So it was very special to me.

It's like that with this author. He's writing about the area I live in and I actually feel like I'm there, I'm with him. That sounds kind of funny but some of you will know what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 AM

322 posts, read 587,282 times
Craig was great. He treated us to a slide show [his personal photos] about the filming of the pilot and swore us all to secrecy. The cast is mostly unknown [or little known] and awesome. For me personally the character of Ruby is exactly what I saw in my own mind. Lou Diamond Phillips plays Henry Standing Bear.

I predict a major hit.

The stories will all be new but will be based on the characters and many of the plots from the novels. Craig’s wife Judy was there and added the most details about their experience filming the pilot since Craig, the producer who [in Craig’s own words] was responsible for knowing where the toilets were.

Craig was walking about a foot off the ground.

As he should be. Good for him!

He also read us 5 pages of his new novel to be released on June 2nd.

I have heard other stories of books being adapted for TV. Usually there is very little connection beyond a concept. Craig is ecstatic that they have kept most pretty much everything the same. The only change is that Walt’s lawyer daughter is a local character rather than being in Philly [where Craig & Judy’s real daughter lives].

Craig asked us if we could recall the most recent contemporary TV western set in modern times. Apparently McCloud was the last, and it went off the air in 1977.

If you are anywhere near Sheridan on June 1st you can meet Craig and get him to sign a copy of his new book at:

Sheridan Stationery Books
206 North Main Street
Sheridan, WY 82801
6:00 pm

If the pilot succeeds [there are still many hurdles] then they will film 13 episodes and we will see it next winter on A&E.

It will be called “Longmire”.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 AM

258 posts, read 560,327 times
I'd have to give CJ Box 2 thumbs up for his Joe Pickett novels, I've read them all and literally read the last one in one afternoon. If you are only going to read one, Nowhere to Run would be IT although they are best when read in series, I just wish he would put them out a little faster...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
Craig was great. He treated us to a slide show [his personal photos] about the filming of the pilot and swore us all to secrecy. The cast is mostly unknown [or little known] and awesome. For me personally the character of Ruby is exactly what I saw in my own mind. Lou Diamond Phillips plays Henry Standing Bear.

I predict a major hit.

The stories will all be new but will be based on the characters and many of the plots from the novels. Craig’s wife Judy was there and added the most details about their experience filming the pilot since Craig, the producer who [in Craig’s own words] was responsible for knowing where the toilets were.

Craig was walking about a foot off the ground.

As he should be. Good for him!

He also read us 5 pages of his new novel to be released on June 2nd.

I have heard other stories of books being adapted for TV. Usually there is very little connection beyond a concept. Craig is ecstatic that they have kept most pretty much everything the same. The only change is that Walt’s lawyer daughter is a local character rather than being in Philly [where Craig & Judy’s real daughter lives].

Craig asked us if we could recall the most recent contemporary TV western set in modern times. Apparently McCloud was the last, and it went off the air in 1977.

If you are anywhere near Sheridan on June 1st you can meet Craig and get him to sign a copy of his new book at:

Sheridan Stationery Books
206 North Main Street
Sheridan, WY 82801
6:00 pm

If the pilot succeeds [there are still many hurdles] then they will film 13 episodes and we will see it next winter on A&E.

It will be called “Longmire”.

Our eyes and ears on the ground! Thanks for the report. It's got me all jazzed about a new series of books waiting for me, and a new TV series (maybe)!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAHobbit View Post
I'd have to give CJ Box 2 thumbs up for his Joe Pickett novels, I've read them all and literally read the last one in one afternoon. If you are only going to read one, Nowhere to Run would be IT although they are best when read in series, I just wish he would put them out a little faster...

I started in the middle of the series, and got hooked. But I have to say that reading the first 2-3 novels after having read some of the later ones took me by surprise--in my view Box has gotten so much better at writing that his "novice" books come across as being, well, novice books! IMO they're absolutely worth reading, for the continuity of the characters and the great plots, but I enjoy his later books much more. Deeper characters, better dialogue.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Just received word that A&E picked up "Longmire". They will film a full seasons spisodes in the spring for broadcast next summer.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Awesome thread. Thanks to all for chiming in. I'm going to order C.J. Box's Open Season for starters.

BTW, can anyone recommend me a good non-fiction/historical book set in 1800's Wyoming? The old west intrigues me. Thanks in advance.

-Cheers.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
"Yup.", as Joe says. I've read 'em all, though not necessarily in order. Nowhere to Run and Three Weeks to Say Goodbye, (none Joe Pickett), are the best in my opinion. About as close to a tie as can be. Both show subtlety and touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAHobbit View Post

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM

I've just added a line to my "Why Wyoming" list:

Longmire & Pickett

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Mountainbiking,

I recommend to all "Where the Rivers Run North" by Sam Morton. Although it is fiction it is historically accurate and a must for anyone wanting to study the history of horses in the US. The first part of the book is told through the eyes of the Indians local to northeast Wyoming.

Sam also wrote a coffee-table book [Land of the Horse] to show the photos that could not be included in the other book.

Sam and Craig Johnson are great friends. As a volunteer for the recent celebration in Big Horn City I set up the booth where the 2 of them signed their books. They are both down to earth regular guys - and cowboys to boot. It was a privelidge to meet and spend a few minutes chatting with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming