Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM

46 posts, read 134,343 times

Advertisements

Yah ElkHunter, but that was in your office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Hey ElkHunter,

Is there a place on the web where you can see the wind velocity for any city you choose over a period of time? Like entering "Sheridan" and see the wind speed on a daily basis for the last 30 day period of time or longer?

Thanks,

Harry

Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryglos View Post
Hey ElkHunter,

Is there a place on the web where you can see the wind velocity for any city you choose over a period of time? Like entering "Sheridan" and see the wind speed on a daily basis for the last 30 day period of time or longer?

Thanks,

Harry
This site will give you the weather data on any particular day, but only one day at a time. Not sure where to get historical data for long periods of time.

Weather History & Data Archive : Weather Underground

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Thank you sir... You must be right because i've looked all over the place on Google. I know i've seen average wind speed by the month, but I can't find that either. A little surprising when you think about all the information you can find on weather today.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM

212 posts, read 417,807 times
Back to green - I grew up in Sheridan and was used to green springs and early summer and then things got brown, that's the nature of the west. When I moved to Torrington I was surprized to find that it seemed to stay greener longer and was humid. Then I finally realized this was because of so much irrigated farm land. Western towns are green because of frequent watering of lawns and gardens. This is all artificial "greeness".

I now live in the country and have elected to do xeroscaping and only use native plants and grasses. Almost all of these turn yellow or brown by the end of summer. Ya gotta learn to appreciate another kind of beauty if you live in the west.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
... Ya gotta learn to appreciate another kind of beauty if you live in the west.
Like the 'tumble-weed Christmas trees' we had as kids. We would all head out on horses after Thanksgiving to fetch one and bring it home. I often won because I seemed to lurk in deep ravines while hunting varmits. We would have a big 'momentary' fire with the smaller tumble weeds.

We frosted it with spray-on snow, and wrapped it in tiny lights and hung from the open beam in ceiling. It was often over 6' dia so plenty of room for presents ). But no money for presents . That was fine, it was fun, and something unique from the prairie to tell the grandkids. (My own kids won't believe me)

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryglos View Post
Hey ElkHunter,

Thanks,

Harry
It is probably out there someplace, but it can be hard to find.

Click on a weather station on this map and it gives you a two day history every 10 minutes on what the weather was like, including wind speed and direction.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?map=wy

You can get monthly weather summaries here for Casper, Lander, Riverton, Worland and Rock Springs. It includes a summary of the wind speeds. National Weather Service Climate

Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
I use Weatherbase for climate data. Or the Western Regional Climate Center ( Western U.S. Climate Historical Summaries )

Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Weather: Long, short range weather forecasts, predictions, daily weather history, radar
There's always the good old Farmer's Almanac... do farmers really still use this?? I see the wind speed here is twice that of what it is where my aunt is in Wyoming ...after being out in it just now trying to wrestle with the snow blower and getting a face full of snow every time a gust came through, I can contest to the fact that it blows :P

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
This wind map shows you where the windiest parts of the state are.

http://www.windpowermaps.org/windmaps/images/WYwindpower50_highres.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming