Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 PM

46 posts, read 134,286 times

Advertisements

Hey ElkHunter,

You're right and my example may well have been too broad. I'm just trying to make the point from the weather standpoint, that as we talk about Wyoming weather our winters are not different from other like mountain states like Colorado, Montana and I dare say Idaho...

You guys are the best...

Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
It's easy to win with "per capita" numbers when there is nobody living in Wyoming.

But, considering that towns are miles and miles apart, I wonder how many tornados go unseen by anybody? I'm sure there are some. Of course, NOAA has a track on them.

Also wanted to say, for the umpteenth day in a row, there is no wind at my house in Spots Wyoming.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Just goes to show that some people live in the right "Spots"! By the way ElkHunter, where is Spots or did you eat some bad venison and your seeing them?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryglos View Post
Just goes to show that some people live in the right "Spots"! By the way ElkHunter, where is Spots or did you eat some bad venison and your seeing them?
People often ask me where I live. I live where 5mile creek flows into the Tongue River. I'm not in a town. So I tell people I live in Spots. Where is Spots?

When I called the road and trip report one wintery day, it said that it was "Slick in Spots." When I left for town, the highway in front of my place was slick. So I figured I now know where Spots is.

Actually, the closest town is Ranchester. But I live between Ranchester and Dayton right up against the Big Horn Mountains.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Harry, you don't seem to understand the concept of "per capita". If Wyoming had the same population as Florida it would have almost 4 times the number of deaths from lightning. +/- 500 people as compared to Florida's 126 fatalities during that same time period. Living in Wyoming makes you 4 times more likely to die from lightning strikes. Which is far higher then the likelihood of anyone anywhere dying from "hurricanes, cyclones, tornados, mud slides, earthquakes etc."

I also don't agree with your assesment:

Quote:
What I found out is interesting and that is "by average" Wyoming is only slightly more windy than Colorado and Montana. Does Wyoming have days that blow harder than some other places, sure! But by average its a very little difference.
There is no such thing as an "average" Wyoming wind speed, there or in any other state. Realistically, the variables are not possible to calculate in order to come up with any meaningful "average" number. Any attempt to do so for Wyoming would be a meaningless number, because it has large areas that are are almost uninhabitable and barely populated, that when included in the calculations falsely decreases the "average" you come up with. That average in no way represents the reality of living in the other more populated areas of the state where wind speed are almost always much, much higher.

Take off your rose tinted glasses and smell the sage brush.

R

Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Hey There Good Captn,

Of course I understand the concept of “per capita”… It’s the number of times you put your cap on an ita! Sheesh, everybody knows that!

As for the rose colored glasses and sage brush I’m glad you didn’t say bifocals and pansies… I hate to see pansies close up, I really hate that!

Shucky-darn Cptn I sure do appreciate the fine education, I surly do… We're sure a bunch of dummies here on the sun coast but that’s the GOOD news... The BAD news is in a few days I'll be living in the great state of Wyoming and bring down the local literacy scale...

Harry

Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
I'm looking at a job in Douglas, WY...what's the wind like there? I see that it's East of Casper about an hour, so I must have drove through the area on my move out that way 10+years ago, but I don't remember much about the wind as we came through toward dusk.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I'm looking at a job in Douglas, WY...what's the wind like there? I see that it's East of Casper about an hour, so I must have drove through the area on my move out that way 10+years ago, but I don't remember much about the wind as we came through toward dusk.
Wind map:
http://www.windpowermaps.org/windmaps/images/WYwindpower50_highres.jpg (broken link)

Check out the weather data here:
//www.city-data.com/city/Douglas-Wyoming.html

Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Just had to share this with you.

http://www.cozygirrrl.com/images/oop...g_windsock.jpg

Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM

47 posts, read 109,668 times
That's hilarious! Some days it's pretty mild, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that lives here that's been through days when you kinda gotta lean into it.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming