Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 PM

88 posts, read 301,303 times

Advertisements

The other day, this was all white and traffic wasnt moving the gate was closed and everything. Now today it looks as though it didnt even snow there? Just wondering did it warm up that much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Yup. Just got to wait a couple hours and poof. The weather changes.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Tell him the truth, ElkHunter; the snow didn't melt, it just blew around until it wore out.

(I believe I read that in one of your recent posts.)

Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 PM

203 posts, read 712,894 times
I am still getting used to the idea that it can and does get warmer at night than during the day. The other day it was 20 during the day and warmed up to about 35 at night when the cold front passed. Wow today it was 55 and it felt so warm. I know I am shocked too.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe View Post
The other day, this was all white and traffic wasnt moving the gate was closed and everything. Now today it looks as though it didnt even snow there? Just wondering did it warm up that much?
Wind and semi trucks/trailers tend to blow it off the roads. Flat winds that are common in WY blows it off the land and it evaporates.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 AM

We got a little snow up here. Not a lot though. The mountains are white and pretty. As I told the local weatherman, ya gotta come over and help me shovel some of that partly cloudy you keep talking about.

I've been snowbound on July 4th. You do realize that snowbound is "Stuck" can't get out, not going no where. But I've also seen 70 degrees in Feb.

We built Decker Coal in Montana. We had to keep records. Christmas eve of 72 it got a bit chilly. -58 f. Yeah, MINUS 58 and no wind. We don't count wind chill in Wyoming. That's for wuss'es. haha. Talk about the snow squeekin when you walked across it.

The way we tell temperature is to put the dog out. Wait 3 minutes and if you have to bust him loose from the tree, it's cold. One year, my mud flaps on my truck froze sticking straight out. Looked like I was going 70mph down the road.

So the weather can change any minute. Every state in the Union has declared that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. Normally we get a good bit of warning and then get craped on. hahaha

I got three hooks by the door and 17 different coats to put on. Some days, I wear all of them. Layers don't ya know.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 AM

362 posts, read 919,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
Wind and semi trucks/trailers tend to blow it off the roads. Flat winds that are common in WY blows it off the land and it evaporates.
HA, it would be nice if the semis did that. The hard, cold fact is that ONE THING and one thing only is responsible for it all.....the W-I-N-D!!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM

32 posts, read 149,184 times
Hey Elkhunter, I know about the 17 different coats by the door! I still have a closet full of them waiting to be worn up here in Northern Idaho!! But it's not cold enough!!! I wear a light windbreaker up here while everyone else is bundled up in coats that adorn my closet! People think I'm crazy, but when it 10 to 20 above and no wind it's just not cold!

I am keeping all those coats for when I move back to Wyo.

K-FOX

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 28,508 times
Talking Frosty the Snowman vs The Windbag of Laramie.

Last trip, I spent 2 extra days in North Platte, NE. waiting for I-80 in Wyoming to reopen. Got west of Cheyenne and there wasn't any snow. I suspect that there's a giant freezer that they put the snow in for the next time they want to close I-80. Yup, all that wind and the snow gets tired!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 PM

I've heard repeatedly, and I've said it myself, the winters aren't as harsh as they used to be. But it makes me wonder if the winters are pretty much the same, it's just that snow removal and road maintenance is just gotten a lot better? We've trippled the number of plows around here. We've even trippled the amount of trucks that have the capability to put out the chemical they use to ice melt on intersections.

Also, it used to be that the plows went out first thing in the morning and went to work. Now, they start when the snow starts and they run all night keeping everything clear.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming