Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been interested in relocating to Wyoming for quite some time. I am relocating from the east coast. I really love the west, so I am making the move out west.

I have a basic grasp on Wyoming – sparse population, rough winters, extended travel times to town-to-town, job difficulty, and whatnot. I can adapt to any environment. What I want from you residents is the real scoop on Wyoming like taking an apprentice under your wing. Be brutal or nice; I welcome either way.

If I end up in Wyoming, I want to live on a piece of land. Is that doable on the cheap? What are the taxes like? I see there are several land parcels on eBay. Legit or scam?

I like fishing, hunting, and being self-sufficient. What are my opinions on fish and game meat in Wyoming?

I also love cars. I’ve modified my vehicles quite a bit. Does Wyoming has emissions and/or safety inspections annually, biannually, or other? Are the registration and/or insurance expensive in Wyoming?

I'm sure I will think up more; but that's all for now...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 AM

23 posts, read 76,321 times
hi Lariat,
I am also moving to Wy in May. I have asked the questions and the folks living there have given ALOT of good info.

I can only speak to the land on eBay,
I also saw it and emailed back and forth with the realtor. I like the idea of Owner finance, BUT the land he is selling is not all it seems to be.
Well costs and Elec being run to the property are HUGH.
The land may or may not be accessible all year round. Looking at the EXACT parcel from MS Virtual earth does show it is not that nice of terrain he's selling, so there is a possibility that there would be NO piece of land to build on. I have resigned myself to the fact I may have to move there and rent for a period of time. (Which sucks) or go out for a trip and HOPE to find an owner finance on some acreage. We're looking for the east side of WY anywhere from SE to NE doesn't really matter. Minimum of 40ac
If you find anything your not gonna get keep us in mind. If you find anything bigger maybe we can co-op on it. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope the info helps.

JR

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
"apprentice under your wing" ... in what way do you need to be "apprenticed"? It sounds like you've already anticipated living out here and know all about the conditions and self-reliance needed to survive here. Wyoming's climate will be your mentor ....

land sales on eBay: All I can say is "buyer beware". You'd best come on out and visit the parcels under consideration and see for yourself if they meet your needs and requirements for location, accessibility, utilities, water, livability, and affordability. Best to see the places in the summer and winter months if you plan on living there year around before you put any money into one of these places. Land taxes tend to be low compared to many other states in terms of mil levy and assessed land valuations for a lot of the state.

car mods: Wyoming does not have vehicle inspections or emissions inspections. However, it does have the state statutes which still apply and specify requirements for roadworthiness, safety, and emissions compliance. You are expected to be in compliance with those requirements. If you get into an accident, for example, and your vehicle didn't have the proper equipment on it, you could be cited for that equipment violation. Keep in mind that emissions equipment tampering and compliance is a Federal violation, and you could be cited for that, which will take you into a whole 'nother level of regulation and code enforcement. It's not a priority around here, but if you're caught in that system, it could have consequences just like in many other states. Registration may be a bit more expensive than a lot of other states, and insurance may/may not be. In my experience, most insurance agents around here don't have a lot of history working with anything except "stock" vehicles, so quotes for a modified car ... like a friend's T-bucket roadster with 500HP under the hood ... are all over the board. I think he went with some "collector" car insurance with a limit of only driving the car in "events" or to them, very limited pleasure use driving. At the most, it gets driven a few hundred miles of fair weather driving per year.

Fishing and hunting are readily available here. Big game, small game, lots of stream and lake fishing.
What's your pleasure? Flies? bait? lures? drift fishing? stream wading? trolling in a small lake?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Wyoming does not have vehicle inspections or emissions inspections. However, it does have the state statutes which still apply and specify requirements for roadworthiness, safety, and emissions compliance. You are expected to be in compliance with those requirements. If you get into an accident, for example, and your vehicle didn't have the proper equipment on it, you could be cited for that equipment violation.
But keep in mind you only have to have the equipment that was required in the model year the vehicle resembles if your collector car is 25+ years old. HB 2 passed last January states this.

To get an out-of-state car licensed in Wyoming, you will need a VIN inspection from local law enforcement and they will sign off on the equipment requirements then.

There's more about collector car registration here:

Wyoming Street Rod Assocation

Collector car insurance is the way to go if you won't be using them for daily drivers. My hubby insures his collector cars with one of these companies and pays for 6 vehicles less than I pay for my daily driver.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:49 AM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
Lariat, not sure WHERE from the East coast you're moving from, that covers a lot of ground. Property taxes COULD be a bit higher if your from the "southern" East coast, unless it's Florida. If you're in the "northern" East coast, real estate prices and taxes will most likely be a joke. It depends on where you're from, what you want, and where you go. Just like anywhere else. But I really think you'll be in for a "nice" surprise. Rent first, learn the "lay-of-the-land". I'd even recommend spending a Winter here first, before you buy.

There are lots of acreages around Cheyenne and the eastern part of the State, as well as the Central and Northeastern area. You might even want to visit a place called Rocky Mountain Timberlands, they're on the web. Get pictures, and visit first, walk the land, before and during the Winter (not in that order necessarily). You'll be amazed at how different it feels, and how different it IS.

Most folks here are happy to help, as long as you are willing to help yourself. That is kind of an underlying tone around here. You'll learn that one way or the other, and hopefully in a good way.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 AM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
To clarify, if you're from the "northern" East coast, taxes will be LOWER here; subsequently, most likely they'll be higher here if your from the "southern" part, except Florida. Again, there are differences, and I don't know the current Property Tax situations in every coastal state. But that is a pretty good guess from what I've heard.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4na View Post
I am also moving to Wy in May. I have asked the questions and the folks living there have given ALOT of good info.

I can only speak to the land on eBay,
I also saw it and emailed back and forth with the realtor. I like the idea of Owner finance, BUT the land he is selling is not all it seems to be.
Well costs and Elec being run to the property are HUGH.
The land may or may not be accessible all year round. Looking at the EXACT parcel from MS Virtual earth does show it is not that nice of terrain he's selling, so there is a possibility that there would be NO piece of land to build on. I have resigned myself to the fact I may have to move there and rent for a period of time. (Which sucks) or go out for a trip and HOPE to find an owner finance on some acreage. We're looking for the east side of WY anywhere from SE to NE doesn't really matter. Minimum of 40ac
If you find anything your not gonna get keep us in mind. If you find anything bigger maybe we can co-op on it. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope the info helps.

JR
Good to see you are getting helpful treatment here.

That is true. From what I've noticed, most types of land in WY that are available on eBay were from defunct ranching estates where the acreage was in excess of 10,000 broken up in parcels for selling. As you found out, it will be expensive to run utilities to your parcel because it never had utilities before, as it was part of a large ranch. The companies would need to run whatever amount of equipment to your parcel. Would look off having poles being run to your spot with nothing all around it, wouldn't it? Don't forget, you will need a road also.

I will. Nothing good yet.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"apprentice under your wing" ... in what way do you need to be "apprenticed"? It sounds like you've already anticipated living out here and know all about the conditions and self-reliance needed to survive here. Wyoming's climate will be your mentor ....

land sales on eBay: All I can say is "buyer beware". You'd best come on out and visit the parcels under consideration and see for yourself if they meet your needs and requirements for location, accessibility, utilities, water, livability, and affordability. Best to see the places in the summer and winter months if you plan on living there year around before you put any money into one of these places. Land taxes tend to be low compared to many other states in terms of mil levy and assessed land valuations for a lot of the state.

Fishing and hunting are readily available here. Big game, small game, lots of stream and lake fishing.
What's your pleasure? Flies? bait? lures? drift fishing? stream wading? trolling in a small lake?
That is good to hear. I merely would adjust to Wyoming's climate once I experenice it.

I cannot emphaize that enough. That is a great idea, accessing the land in all kind of weather to feel it out. How does Wyoming treat its water? I come from the east, and we take water for granted. Low taxes was a factor for the desire to move there.

Car mods: Nothing spectular. Souped up engine and dual exhaust. I don't have a collector car; rather, an old truck that was my grandfather's pride and joy in which I am carrying on.

Fly fishing and trolling tops the list. Sometimes just standing by some water and fish. Not sure what's what and legal to hunt in Wyoming. I hunt deer annually for free and healthier meat.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmoore View Post
To clarify, if you're from the "northern" East coast, taxes will be LOWER here; subsequently, most likely they'll be higher here if your from the "southern" part, except Florida. Again, there are differences, and I don't know the current Property Tax situations in every coastal state. But that is a pretty good guess from what I've heard.
I am from Lake Ontario area in New York. Taxes are ridiculously high here, but housing is surprisingly reasonable. Not sure what the tax is currently set at here...I rent to avoid taxes. AFAIK a house with a large yard would be around 2K. I am willing relocate anywhere in Wyoming. All I want is some good land in a rural area that won't tax me to death. Nothing like experiencing it, so yes I will be renting or living in my RV while in Wyoming. Are the winters that different? Here, we have the lake effect snow which means we get dumped on with FEET of fresh snow that doesn't turn to mush until spring.

Thanks for the recommendations on the places. I'm googling them.

I understand about the helping part - same as it is here. Anywhere, really, as long as you're not near the center of a large metro!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM

375 posts, read 1,380,968 times
Living on the land is easy - being able to afford it is another matter. Most of the land sold is scrub - sage and alkali - not able to support much of anything. It won't support horses or cattle and you can forget about minerals. Never buy land on EBay. Always go thru a reputable realtor or land broker - one who is licensed and bonded in the State. Out of stater "brokers" are endless and do not always follow the rules. Hire a real estate attorney to look over ALL the documents and do not sign anything you do not understand. This is no longer the wild west.

Wind is something we live with all the time. Where I am, it gusts 30 mph nearly every day. On windy storm days 70+.

You won't find trees unless there is water. There are many seasonal creeks - which only run when irrigation is operated. And rights - you must pay for.

We get feet of snow in the Snowy's, Yellowstone, Beartooth and Bighorns. We get inches everywhere else. As you probably have seen on tv about 10 days ago, I80 got a lot of snow. Within days most of it was in the ditches, thanks to an ever vigilant WYDOT + the wind. Sunshine plays an important role in that many of our roads are macadam and the sun (even below 32) will melt away the snow, but leaves black ice in its place after dark.

Most of our towns are small - under 7,000 and there are but two over 50,000 pop. Rental housing in small towns is difficult and even tho there are some section 8's - you have to get on a list. Priority is given to residents.

Having a WY plate does not make you a resident. For hunting and fishing licenses - which you must live here 1 year from date your WY D/L was issued. So, expect to purchase a non-resident license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming