Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM

782 posts, read 1,722,675 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know what services other wyomingites use to access internet in rural areas - outside city limits where broadband and dsl aren't available. What do you pay for it and how is the service?

I got a 'cellular card' for my laptop 1 yr ago d/t I was living outside of lander. It is convenient, but a warning to anyone else considering them - they can be quite costly and IMHO aren't all they are cracked up to be. The friendly cell phone salesgirl assured me that 5GB is more than sufficient for 'normal' internet use but if you download anything or stream music, ect it really sucks up your KB's (hope that is the correct term) and you are charged 'alot' for overages. For the 5GB it was $60 a month but a couple times my bill was $200+. On the news the other day it told about someone downloaded a movie with one in mexico and was charged 17K!!! You are also charged extra if you use it outside of your home area. And you have to sign a 2yr agreement - i just paid $110 to terminate service since I moved to town and got cable internet. Also, where I was living in the country, it wasn't as fast on downloads as in town. Just hope others are informed if thinking about purchasing cellular internet cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,040,684 times
There are a couple different options for highspeed internet in the country...

WildBlue is a type of satellite internet and their packages start at $50/month. Pretty reasonable. I know of a provider here in Sheridan, but not in other communities around the state. But you can maybe do a search and get on their website and try to locate a provider in the particular area you are looking at...

There is another company out there that provides similar service and I forget their name.... But there at least 2 options that I know of. I knew somebody that had Wild Blue internet service and it worked great for them....

Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM

357 posts, read 1,606,400 times
There are at least two other satISP's out there -- Hughes and Gilat/StarBand.

NB that all satellite ISP's will have usage quotas. If you exceed your usage quota, they will "throttle" your connection to a almost intolerably low bandwidth. For Starband, it used to be something like 720MB over 10 days. For WildBlue, they measure your usage over a month.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 PM

25 posts, read 77,910 times
Don't all Sat ISPs require landline dialtone too?

Here's my grouse... Embarq wants around $90/mo just for tone (in Lingle) you have to add Long Distance and DSL on top of that.

But there is a solution: CableISP (no TV) + VoIP costs less than tone alone... go figure.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM

357 posts, read 1,606,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cats View Post
Don't all Sat ISPs require landline dialtone too?

Here's my grouse... Embarq wants around $90/mo just for tone (in Lingle) you have to add Long Distance and DSL on top of that.

But there is a solution: CableISP (no TV) + VoIP costs less than tone alone... go figure.
No, the requirement for a landline was the first instantiation of satellite IP: you received your downloads over the satellite, and you transmitted your outbound traffic on the modem. The recent satellite services are actually two-way satellite transmissions - you get your traffic from the satellite on downloads, and you send your outbound traffic over a small (like a couple of watts) transmitter back up to the bird.

The reason why Cable ISP's+VoIP are cheaper than landlines is that they're not having to go through the tariff rate-setting schemes. Matter of fact, the VoIP provider can be completely different than whoever is proving your "IP dialtone." That's the upside of VoIP as a phone service.

The downside is that when your IP dialtone goes away (and it will... trust me, it will from time to time), you lose your phone, your internet service, possibly your TV service, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: