Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 PM

212 posts, read 417,771 times

Advertisements

We had trouble with our banana crop this year because it turns out that wild turkeys love 'em! Next summer we plan to have a couple of Llama which are notorious for hating turkeys. That should do the trick. Although I'm not sure if llamas like bananas. I guess we'll find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
To the OP - I hope you have a job or are bringing one with you. Because outside of the few jobs in Torrington, you may have to expand your horizon - to include Scottsbluff, Neb.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 PM

203 posts, read 712,894 times
My friend has a banana tree in her backyard...oh wait... that was in San Diego.

To the OP: Since I have lived in Wyoming, I now think of Denver as having balmy weather.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
"I've personally never seen a banana tree in the whole state. I wanna see PICTURES"
banana plants are actually a grass, and there was one back in the Student Union in Laramier back in the early 80, it got chopped down right after it got bananas

Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Come on. I had banana trees in my yard. They grow about a foot a day and will produce a bunch. Then you have to chop them down and they'll do it again.

BUT!!!! I never raised any banana's in Wyoming! Not even with a belt.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM

212 posts, read 417,771 times
We grow the best bananas in Wyoming. If I could figure out how to get photos from my Windows photo gallery to here I would post a photo. Too bad I'm tech challenged.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:01 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
You mean like these? They grow them close to our coffee finca in Guatemala on a hundred thousand hectares near Rio Dulce.
Attached Thumbnails
moving to wyoming need info on community to go to-spicesbananaplantationbig.jpe  

Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 PM

203 posts, read 712,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
You mean like these? They grow them close to our coffee finca in Guatemala on a hundred thousand hectares near Rio Dulce.
How did you get a picture of my backyard in Gillette?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 19,018 times
We moved to Rawlins this past summer and absolutely hate it! If you didn't grow up here, you will be shunned! We had one minor incident with our dog and now the whole town is against us. They are all in one way or another related to each other. Then if you plan on opening up a business, think again, because if you aren't a part of the people who own the town you will be shut down. They have also kicked out every franchise store that has tried to set up shop here. The only good thing about this town is the First United Methodist Church and it's Preschool. Other than that this town is horrible...we will be leaving soon.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM

89 posts, read 253,119 times
Unfortunately, I have to agree with "beenhit" for the most part. I work with folks in/around the Rawlins area (among others) and frankly find them to be very unwelcoming to new folks. By and large, the folks who live in Rawlins for any length of time, are typically FROM there. Beenhit offered some "sage" advice, no pun intended . Once you move here, you'll understand the "sage" comment.

Of the 3 locations you mentioned, I have spent time in all of them, and although it wouldn't be my first choice "Wyoming wide", I would choose Torrington. It's not as "big" as Rawlins, but has almost all the same amenities, and it's only an hour and fifteen minutes (ish) to Cheyenne. Also, for a different pace, it's only about 2 and a half hours (ish) to Rapid City. A small farming/ranching community, it is a very nice place to raise your children.

Although MUCH smaller, I would still choose Lusk over Rawlins. I hate to say it, but Rawlins would most likely be the LAST place in Wyoming I would choose. But, I would probably go there rather than leave the State, I think. It sounds like you're in the "Prison business", so I'm guessing employment for you won't be a problem, but your spouse may have difficulty in any of the 3, but certainly not impossible. Again, in MY OPINION, I think Torrington would be a better choice, even though Rawlins is a bit bigger.

Of course, there are pros and cons to EVERY community in Wyoming, so I would definately consider this as an opinion place, and start your research here, but don't use this as your final decision making resource. If at all possible, travel to all 3 and see for yourself. Winter is the BEST time to check them out, because that will be your "reality check" moment. Winter will be your biggest challenge, no matter which town you live in, so see it up close and personal. It's hard to explain the bone chilling effect of -20* wind chill, and horizontal snowfall, you need to experience it first hand.

Just my opinion, but that's what you asked for. Hope you choose well, and no matter where you end up, WELCOME to Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming