Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times

Advertisements

Come to Laramie! This town is about as friendly as they come. With students migrating in and out every year, people here are used to welcoming folks that "aren't from around here." My family and I have been warmly received and I've made many wonderful friendships, both within the University community and without.

I came out here for school from California. My son began at Spring Creek elementary where he received an excellent education, tested in the top two percentile nationwide on standardized tests, made many good friends, participates in sports, and is now in the junior high with a current 4.0 grade average. Laramie schools have been wonderful for his education and for his social life.

Winters ARE difficult, but because Laramie is a college town, we have more amenities here than most Wyoming towns. Even if I-80 closes, we aren't bereft of necessities. I've been given the opportunity for a wonderful education and the University of Wyoming is top notch is my field (Archaeology).

In addition, there are job opportunities here as well. Is it cold? Very. Does the wind blow incessantly? Most of the time. But Laramie has much to offer and having traveled extensively throughout Wyoming, I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 AM

40 posts, read 94,824 times
They normally call the Big Horn Basin the bannana belt because the days of the growing season. Approx 162 Vs some parts of the state only having 60 day growing season. In the winter wind chill is the big factor, not the snow in the northern part of the big horn basin. 30 below zero and wind chill to 60 below is not uncommon.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:38 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
UW will not give Auburn Wyoming a growing season , listed as possible frost 365 days a year...

Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,498 times
Thanks for everyones imput! I now have to look at moving to Rawlins, Riverton or Newcastle. Yes I already have a job set up and that is determing were I go. We don't mind having to drive an hour to get to our jobs, we do that now in Illinois, so living outside these areas is a good possablility. And my husband is a flooring installer for over 15 years so we are also looking for something for him. We of course are also concerned about housing costs! I haven't been able to find much info on the schools in these areas. Any ideas or info?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
Riverton's not bad.. or you could live in Lander (which I preferred as it's smaller and right along the mountains) and commute the 25 miles.. and the views of the Wind River mountains can't be beat! Good luck in your decision making.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Newcastle is quite a bit smaller than Riverton, but for a small town it's not bad. Riverton is close to bigger mountains -- the Wind Rivers; even the Tetons are only a couple hours away, but Newcastle is next to the Black Hills. From Riverton it's 120 miles to the closest small city (Casper), and from Newcastle it's 75 miles to a slightly larger city (Rapid City). It would be a tough call. If commuting wasn't a problem, I'd probably pick Lander, but that's just me. The Black Hills are nice, but I've always preferred tall mountains. Schools are probably a wash. The larger schools (Riverton) offer more but at the cost of... a bigger school. Your kids could get a good education at any of them.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
My daughter and cousin went to schools in Lander. (my daughter just for one year, my cousin her whole life) and I've heard nothing but good about that school system. I was pleased with my daughter's 4th grade stint there.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,460 times
Definetly go Riverton, Lander over Rawlins.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,498 times
Thanks for all your imput! We have picked to move to the Lusk area but aren't for sure were we will actually live. Looking into Lusk, Douglas, Guernsey and Glendo so far. But others keep telling me about how bad it is in the winter getting to and from work!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

89 posts, read 253,119 times
Congratulations amandaab, I don't think you'll regret your decision to move to Lusk, but GIVE IT SOME TIME to adjust once you get there. I am "assuming" that you are coming from a much larger community in Illinios. Once you get settled in and adjust to your new home, you will find life in Wyoming to flow at a much different pace and perspective. Please, please, please, don't think that because you commute an hour-ish now, that the same hour long commute will be as easy here. I spend quite a bit of time around the Douglas area for my job, and commuting from Douglas to Lusk WOULD NOT be something I would choose to do everyday.

Don't be fooled by just the mileage numbers. If you choose to live in Douglas (Both Glendo and Guernsey are farther south), whichever one of you that does not work in Lusk WILL spend some nights alone as the other will be stuck or stranded in Lusk, between Lusk and I-25, or I-25 and Douglas. While the road closures don't happen a "lot", that doesn't mean the road conditions are such that it's a good idea. If you have a choice and can find suitable housing, stay in or at least "near" Lusk. Torrington is about the same distance as Douglas, Glendo, or Guernsey, but because it is farther east, the roads might be better on a more consistent basis. Either of these frankly is a tough call, and WILL cause problems sooner or later. Good luck on choosing and "Welcome to Wyoming."

Oh yeah, the first week of August is going to be exciting in Lusk do to the THOUSANDS of motorcycles (mostly Harleys) coming through town on the way to Sturgis, SD for Bike Week. Of course, almost ANYWHERE in eastern Wyoming will get that traffic. Maybe I'll see you there, on the "outside" of course , when I pass through on my way as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming