Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,520 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So, I know you've heard this before, but my husband and I have been looking to relocate to Cheyenne.

I have worked as a retail store manager for the last few years, and been able to support my husband (he got to stay home as my house-husband!). However, I recently lost my job due to the bad economy and we have both been looking for employment for the last 3 months with no luck. I have experience in retail, restaurants and secretarial work, while he has experience in restaurants and general labor, though it has been a few years. We are both hard workers and willing to take low paying jobs if needed (doing just about anything) as we have been living below our means and plan on continuing to do so.

So, we're thinking it's time to go. We don't like the hot summers here (it's May and already in the high 90's) or the gang problems (thumping radios all day and night, not to mention the violence...so bad I can't even walk my dog in our neighborhood). We have looked at other areas of California, but the economy seems to be bad all over and no signs of improving.

I know it's bad all over, but what are job prospects like in Cheyenne? Is everyone there getting tired of people moving to town? And what are the people like? It would be nice to live somewhere where people actually said hello when you say hi to them or where I could walk my dog in peace.

And how about the winters? We've never lived where it snows before, so that's a bit scary for us. I've driven in some snow up in the mountains, but am by no means an expert. We have a typical 4-door car (not 4x4), will that be enough? What else do we need to know so we don't make stupid mistakes and get ourselves killed in the winter time (lol)? The thought of a white christmas does make me excited, though!

I was also curious about housing...It seems like there are quite a few pet-friendly places for rent (on craigslist, wyoming tribune, etc.), do you think it will be a problem with an indoor dog (willing to make him outdoor if needed)?

My husband was also thinking that he might go there ahead of me and find a job and a place for us to live. Any ideas on safe, cheap housing (or motel, etc.) while he's there first? Or ideas of where he should start the job hunt (he was just going to pick up a paper and start applying)? We're thinking that it will be hard to convince someone to give us a job before we actually move there (as has been our experience so far...most of the time I cannot even get an interview unless I'm in town), as well as hard to find a place to live (most places here in CA require you to physically inspect the place before renting...is that the case in WY too?).

And what else should we know about moving to Cheyenne? I'm looking forward to the more laid-back lifestyle, less amenities (we never took much advantage of them here anyway) and spending more time outdoors. I had horses growing up and the thought of owning a house and a few horses in a few years sounds great to me.

Sorry, seems like I'm rambling on now. Well, I know it's a long post, but I tried to include all of my questions. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
All of your questions have been answered many times over the last few months on the C-D forum. I urge you to go through those posts to get a lot more insight into what's going on in Cheyenne.

A brief overview:

1) I'd strongly advise you to visit before deciding to move here, especially during the winter months. The prevailing climate for much of the year ... and the strong winds ... will discourage many people from staying here. Don't count on a "white Christmas" with a picture postcard beautiful scene of white snow covered countryside and cute homes surrounded by Norman Rockwell or Thomas Kincade pretty scenery. The actuality is a brown mess through the winter unless it's snowing ... even then, a lot of the snowstorms are horizontal due to the strong winds. Count on the wind being a main component of much of the weather for 6 months out of the year.

2) The Cheyenne job market is down right now. Total ads in the WT-E are just a couple of pages, and the prevailing wage scale is much much lower than you'd expect. For example, I just built a new fence on my ranch and used temp labor help ... and got a man who was a certified welder, MSW, experienced retail store manager, former business owner with his own employees ... an intelligent, hard worker with an advanced degree education and professional management experience ... and he was thrilled to have three days of work here at $6.50/hr paid daily. His co-worker wasn't quite as experienced, but an equally hard worker. Two of the best temps I've ever used, and I'd have them back in a heartbeat if I had more work to do in the near term ... if they're still around.

Online, you can check out the jobs at the Wyoming at Work site, which is the state's employment agency. I'd check there and the WT-E for jobs and inquire before you came out here; locally, the job market has shrunk by 15%+ and is forecast to stay down for awhile. Keep in mind that Cheyenne is a very popular area for military retirees, and you are competing with a lot of very qualified folks who work because they need something to do ... not because they need a high income. Prevailing wages at the local big box store regional warehouses is in the $12-13/hour range, full-time with benefits.

The current retail business sector is shrinking. Between recent Circuit City and Rex store closures, there's a fair number of folks here recently out of work, although I believe the Rex store was down to less than a half dozen employees by the time they closed up shop.

Your work background and willingness to work will help get a job here, but it would really help to have jobs lined up before you commit to moving out here.

3) There are a number of "cheap" motels along Lincolnway that cater to the job-seeker and daily worker marketplace, currently about mid-$30 per night. They're not especially nice or very clean, but they are cheap, available, and reasonably "safe". The nice motels in the area cater to the tourist trade, and are in the $45-65 per night range. Until Frontier Days, when the town is typically booked out at top dollar ... even with the addition of several new motels in the last couple of years.

FWIW, the "police blotter" daily report in the WT-E is more likely to have arrest reports for alchohol or drug related offenses than anything else ... with the predominant arrests being alcohol related; you don't see many major crimes against persons arrests reported (generally, domestic violence arrests).

4) Rental housing is in decent supply at this time, having been overbuilt in the last few years. You should be able to get housing that will allow your pet without too much difficulty.

5) Your regular car will do just fine for 98% of the local driving around Cheyenne. The other 2% of the time will be during major storms when driving is not recommended and major routes (the interstates) in the area will likely be closed for awhile. You don't need a 4x4 or AWD to get around town; many folks do just fine with all-season tires on front wheel drive cars. The perception that you'll be driving all winter in deep snow is not correct; you'll more likely be driving around in a couple of inches of snow with some drifts in places that are much deeper. Stay off the streets until the plows and sunshine have done their work and you'll be fine ... the bigger problems are the "black ice" that forms on the streets from re-frozen melted snow, or the very low visibility due to blowing snow in a storm. Hardpack snow on the streets is easy to drive on with reasonable care ... just give yourself lower speeds and allow for more stopping distance between you and the car in front of you. You've probably driven in deeper snow in the California mountains (wet and heavy snow) than you'll typically see in Cheyenne.

6) I think you'd find Cheyenne a friendly town. People will hold doors open, say hello ... you might even find yourself striking up a conversation with strangers in restaurants and other places you shop or go for recreation. It's a small enough town that folks will even be interested in meeting you and getting to know you; it's not a big impersonal city.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-27-2009 at 04:09 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,520 times
Thanks for your help! I'll definitely keep researching more!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM

7 posts, read 16,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delowise View Post
Hi all!

So, I know you've heard this before, but my husband and I have been looking to relocate to Cheyenne.

I have worked as a retail store manager for the last few years, and been able to support my husband (he got to stay home as my house-husband!). However, I recently lost my job due to the bad economy and we have both been looking for employment for the last 3 months with no luck. I have experience in retail, restaurants and secretarial work, while he has experience in restaurants and general labor, though it has been a few years. We are both hard workers and willing to take low paying jobs if needed (doing just about anything) as we have been living below our means and plan on continuing to do so.

So, we're thinking it's time to go. We don't like the hot summers here (it's May and already in the high 90's) or the gang problems (thumping radios all day and night, not to mention the violence...so bad I can't even walk my dog in our neighborhood). We have looked at other areas of California, but the economy seems to be bad all over and no signs of improving.

I know it's bad all over, but what are job prospects like in Cheyenne? Is everyone there getting tired of people moving to town? And what are the people like? It would be nice to live somewhere where people actually said hello when you say hi to them or where I could walk my dog in peace.

And how about the winters? We've never lived where it snows before, so that's a bit scary for us. I've driven in some snow up in the mountains, but am by no means an expert. We have a typical 4-door car (not 4x4), will that be enough? What else do we need to know so we don't make stupid mistakes and get ourselves killed in the winter time (lol)? The thought of a white christmas does make me excited, though!

I was also curious about housing...It seems like there are quite a few pet-friendly places for rent (on craigslist, wyoming tribune, etc.), do you think it will be a problem with an indoor dog (willing to make him outdoor if needed)?

My husband was also thinking that he might go there ahead of me and find a job and a place for us to live. Any ideas on safe, cheap housing (or motel, etc.) while he's there first? Or ideas of where he should start the job hunt (he was just going to pick up a paper and start applying)? We're thinking that it will be hard to convince someone to give us a job before we actually move there (as has been our experience so far...most of the time I cannot even get an interview unless I'm in town), as well as hard to find a place to live (most places here in CA require you to physically inspect the place before renting...is that the case in WY too?).

And what else should we know about moving to Cheyenne? I'm looking forward to the more laid-back lifestyle, less amenities (we never took much advantage of them here anyway) and spending more time outdoors. I had horses growing up and the thought of owning a house and a few horses in a few years sounds great to me.

Sorry, seems like I'm rambling on now. Well, I know it's a long post, but I tried to include all of my questions. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Melissa
Cheyenne is a great place to live, we lived there for approx 2 yrs before leaving for family. We are returning soon also. Jobs are there, you have to go places and drop off resumes and applications even if they are not hiring right away especially in the retail, the good part is get your foot in the door, in most cases you can always move up. There are places to rent that allow pets, I would recommend looking first, I got the nightmare of renting before we arrived, not a smart thing to do. I don't know if you have children, but there are a number of one bedroom rentals really good priced. The weather can be different, but if you're willing to be open minded and willing to adjust, you will love Cheyenne. I would have to say that at least 95 percent of the people we met while living there were wonderful, there will always be a few that spoil things. There are staffing agencies such as SOS Staffing, there are a number of places to find employment. I was told by someone when we first arrived, if you really want a job, you can find one here. Cheyenne is a nice place with open spaces, friendly people, safe areas, low traffic and crime rate. Good luck. We hope to be back in Cheyenne by late July with our pet. Frontier Days is in Cheyenne the last full week of July, so all the hotel/motel will be expensive and full. Have a safe trip.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Don't count on labor placements through the temp agencies in Cheyenne right now.

Manpower closed last winter, and the placements for the remaining few are way down.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 10,363 times
I lived in Dubois 11 years ago and want to get back to Wyoming. Cheyenne is appealing to me, but I have two Boston Terriers and am concerned how they might adapt to the winters. I KNOW they'd love the summer temps!

We are currently in Hotlanta, which is way too hot and humid. I'm a single, 57-year old woman, and so far, remember the winters in Dubois with "fondness--but I was a bit younger then!

Any words of advice about my critters would be very helpful. We're accustomed to going for walks.

I imagine I can figure the answer out for myself, but hope someone can provide words of encouragement!
Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
You will have to be careful with your critters.

Years ago, I was stationed in San Diego and we had a T-Cup Poodle. Little bitty thing of about a pound and a half. She was 9 years old when I got out of the Navy and moved back to Wyoming.

The first winter we were very careful about letting her outside. I'd go out and shovel the snow off the grass in a spot about 3 ft square. Then I'd carry her inside my coat until we got to the patch and I'd set her down. The first few times she was very reluctant. But after a few times she realized what she was there for. Then the next step was to carry her out there, outside my coat. Did that for about a week. Then, I'd let her run out there and run back. Didn't take long at all. By the end of the winter, you could tell her coat was thicker or more full. Hair growing faster. Then we went through the summer and when we hit winter again it was just let her out, wait a few minutes and then check on her to let her in.

I might add that I got out of the Navy in the middle of winter so that first winter was short. But it was all she needed.

Little T-Cup lived to be 18 years old. Very unusual for a T-Cup.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Many thanks for sharing your experience with your T-Cup. It give me hope (with caution) for my Bostons!

We're planning our move for May 2010, and I plan on visiting during the month of (this) December or January to check things out.

Both of my Bostons weigh between 20-25 pounds, and one has thicker hair and loves colder weather--but the other one is a different story. Their ages are 9 and 11.
Sounds like one of the biggest drawbacks is not being able to take them for walks . . . until summertime. (not good!)

Again, many thanks for your quick reply! And, yes, your T-Cup lived a very full and, I'm sure, a fulfilled life!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Of course you'll be able to take your dogs for walks. We had a couple Yorkies, 3 and 5 pounds. Obviously they were house dogs, but they didn't mind going outside for their business. On cold days that business didn't take too long; in fact, I'd often just stand at the doorway if the temperature was at or near zero. Typical winter days in Wyoming aren't that horrible. Warm sunshine makes a big difference.

Get your dogs each a sweater for your walks if you like; otherwise just limit their walks to days you're comfortable wearing a light or medium weight jacket and they'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks for more info. I really appreciate it! They've been my main concern, and now I'm feeling much better about the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming