Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

Meadow Maid ... good folks

You don't have to join their CSA (by buying a "share") to get Cindy's fresh produce in season at the Farmer's Market ... just c'mon down to the Market and she's generally got a great display of stuff for sale. Pick out what you want and leave happy ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Thanks again for the replies. Regarding food- is sea food sold at the market? By sea food I mostly mean Pacific/Atlantic fish species, or is trout and salmon the only come by? I do not eat farmed fish but buy wild caught fish, be it in the ocean or river, at the local markets. What about fruits? Are fresh organic fruits hard to come by year round? Veggies?

Housing- I was looking at housing and found a lot of decently priced house, then again where I am from the cheapest you can find a house is half a million!!! I found nice houses with acreage from about $170,000- $270,000. My question, is there anyway to negotiate the prices cheaper? I obviously do not want a CASTLE but a nice small 3 bedroom home with some acreage.

I am actually picking up hunting! I think factory farming is disgusting and much rather have fresh meat that was actually not treated to a life of confinement. How much is would half a beef run from the local rancher?

And I am all for helping the local farmers. Having lived in the city, I am sick of the greed and materialism. I want to actually live life and enjoy where I live, where money is irrelevant.

Thanks guys.
Rocky My Seafood , great food and good seafood, Tuna,halibuit, cod, salmon, calamari,shrimp, oysters, scallops. The owners come from commercial fishermen, and thier son still has a boat on the west coast.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
We buy our beef and pork directly from the Rancher and give him specific cutting instructions to pass on to the butcher/processor so we don't end up with cuts we don't like. I've never liked getting an entire box of roasts frankly. Some yes, but I'd much prefer most of them ground into burger, it's much more versatile. Anyway, most of the Ranchers we do business with do tend to be smaller, that is true. I feel more comfortable that I'm getting what I pay for and what I WANT. Grass grazed, grain/corn supplemented and finished off. "I" personally don't care much for the range grazed cattle in some areas due to the heavy sage flavor. But, that's just me, some folks do. I hunt antelope where I do for the same reason, more prairie grass and less sage, so for me the flavor is more palatable.

As for price, like everything else, it kind of depends. Typically, "in the freezer" price for beef tends to run around 2.25(ish) a pound, which includes burger, steaks, ribs, ect. When you're writing a check for 700-$1000 that seems expensive, but consider "decent" hamburger at the store, with God knows what in it, is around $2.25/pound or more, and you get the idea. Our pork runs around $2.00/pound in the freezer, again including hams, bacon, sausage, roasts, chops, and ribs. Just in case you're not familiar with how this works, "on the hoof" and "hanging" weight are NOT the same as the weight you put in your freezer.

Like I said before, we eat a lot of wild game that I and my wife hunt, so a half-beef and a pig usually do us for the year as a supplement to our hunting. Although, our boys are starting to eat like little piggies themselves now (5yo and 8yo), so we may have to go to a full beef each year, or more hunting . Hmmm, what oh what to do

Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
Housing- I was looking at housing and found a lot of decently priced house, then again where I am from the cheapest you can find a house is half a million!!! I found nice houses with acreage from about $170,000- $270,000. My question, is there anyway to negotiate the prices cheaper? I obviously do not want a CASTLE but a nice small 3 bedroom home with some acreage.

Housing will be different throughout the State, just like everywhere else. But for comparison, in Cheyenne, I looked at some "nice" homes (not extravagent or castles, just normal, everyday people homes), 1800-3000sf on 5 acres for "around" $290-340K. The big difference was whether the basement was finished or not. It's actually more "economical" right now to buy an existing home rather than build. There are less expensive and more expensive homes as well, those were kind of "in-the-middle", on the outskirts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming