Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

47 posts, read 109,732 times

Advertisements

Life is in fact unpredictable. School is great, definitely provides a little time to grow up some. I worked for a small logging company in high school, went to tech school and spent a couple years as a factory trained Harley mechanic, then decided that wasn't for me and went back to driving trucks. I say just keep trying on the pants till you find some that fit, figuratively speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 AM

207 posts, read 714,768 times
Default might want to check out Canada (oil sands)

I was doing some research on the oil sands boom in Alberta, CA (Ft. MacMurray) They're crying for people to work but there's no place to live. Also there's an inordinate amount of drugs, drinking and prostitution because people tend to **** away their money. Those are the downsides. But if you can put up with it for a couple years they say you can make 6 figures a year. I was looking into it but decided against persuing that career path.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
It's always been a big, scary, 'dog-eat-dog' world out there...but add to that the economic instability due to this feverish 'gold-rush' towards 'Globalization'.

If your blood-line is truly Chinese, you have but to look back to the 'homeland' for a good idea of how successful an ancient society can work it's way into becoming a major power. China OWNS us now, whether we like it or not....and you're pushing headlong into becoming more like us ?

Not that we're a bad country to live in and make a life, doing whatever it is that pleases you, and to make a success of yourself...but look around at what happens as a result of all the fragmented families you see.

You're 19...over here the law says you're able to step up and take a bullet for this country...that makes you an adult; so (by extension) that also means you're free to make your own choices in life...but if I were you, I'd stick with your parents advice, because my best guess is that they're looking 'long-term' (marathon race) while you're looking short-term (sprinters race) and while you may indeed out-run them in the short-distance (thanx to your youth and energy) they can out-last you, if you make a bad, 'impetuous' decision.

Put your trust in your parents (especially your father) but keep alert for what's going on in the world outside.

By the time you're in your early to mid-twenties, you'll not only have grown 'longer in the tooth', you'll also have the benefit of an education (and a degree) which you can use to 'call' your own wages.

Wanting a quiet place out in the country where you can farm and feed the critters twice a day is all well and nice, but the population is growing out of hand, and (like you) they are ALSO looking to move out here, and they DO have the money, the education AND the necessary 'connections' to make it happen.

You're only 19, with an entire lifetime ahead of you...you CAN afford to wait this one out, until the time is right to 'move' on something that you really want, and can afford.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto179568 View Post
I thought there was an age limitation that you have to be over 21. If only I can find a phone number to call them directly. This applying online just isn't working. They never email or call back and I wonder if they even receive my application at all.
I was going to say, age might be the biggest factor. It is hard to get an apartment in some areas if you are under 21. Sucks, but that is the way it is. Also, be wary of boom areas such as western ND. The pay may be great but the cost of living is high and housing is none existent. You may make $35 an hour in Williston, but you'll be living in a tent or your car.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM

144 posts, read 553,103 times
Not my business, but at this point in my life i realize i was really ignorant if not stupid not to go to college when i could.
I work in Wyoming and make a good living, but at what cost.
It was -40 this year with 3' of snow and sustained winds at 50mph. One morning the radio said it was -85 with the wind chill. On top of the continental divide getting frozen gas wells up and producing. All this after getting stuck five times trying to get to the location and digging your truck out. This is a typical day for 4-6 months every year with my job. Climbing 20' oil tanks in the 50 mph winds. Its a tough and dangerous life man. Wish you could run with me over one of those hell months. I guarantee you would beg to be in college.

I thought i was going to be a welder out of high school. Welders make good money. Well i was and i did but also at what cost. No work around here so i ended up in Phoenix of all places welding on the Arizona Diamondbacks stadium project. This is the total opposite of what i do now. 124 degrees one day, not a cloud in the sky and i am in full leathers, steel toed boots, gloves and a welding helmet. Not to mention melting steel directly in front of you. Sweat in your eyes all day. Typical summer day there 110-122 with not even a breeze. I stayed there for about 10 years doing this work. With welding there is either more work than you can do or absolutely NOTHING! Also a tough way to earn a buck.

I have two young boys and they WILL go to college.
I used to think my Dad was full of it and i was my own dude and he didn't know S***. Well after a bunch of crap jobs and a few years under my belt, the old man wasn't so stupid after all.

My advice is you seriously rethink your options.

My $00.02

Last edited by moose13; 06-09-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming