Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 12,125 times

Advertisements

Well I also have met some great people in Torrington but I come from a small town orginally so this is not as much a adjustment for me. I am familiar with small town ways. That said in a small town if you are not involved in the community in some way, such as church, school, college, etc., you will find it hard to know people. I have found this to be true in most small communities I have been in.

Small towns do offer more opportunities for civic service etc. You can run for school board or city council but watch out you might just get elected and then you get the blame for anything that goes on in town. Haha. But it is nice to go into a store and the people know my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 30,990 times
Default Love Torrington!

We live out of state and had been looking at homes in the Torrington area for quite some time. Finally went out there and just got back about a week ago. There was nothing at all that I didn't like about Torrington. We ate at Deacon's and there was also an Italina/Mexican restaurant that I can't remember the name of. The food and atmosphere was great at both places. People there are very friendly and accepting of newcomers. Not what I had expected at all. I didn't feel out of place once. A few people did ask me where we are from because they said our accent is different. But they didn't ask to be mean, they were just curious. When I told them we will be moving there soon, they welcomed us to the area very warmly. People there are much nicer and much more friendly than here on the east coast. Can't wait to get back there - permanently! We did find a home and will be closing in March.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Welcome to Torrington, stuff! Glad to hear the locals were welcoming. My folks, who are from out of town, were visiting and went into Deacon's by themselves and experienced the same thing - people asked questions about where they were from, not to be nosey but to be welcoming.

You'll find employees of most businesses friendly as well. When you go in the Post Office, your bank, and other Main Street businesses that you frequent, you'll quickly find them calling you by name, even if you don't remember theirs. Ever see "Cheers" - the way they all welcomed "Norm"? Kind of the same thing.

When are you moving? One thing to remember about the weather in Torrington, especially in the winter. Even though we might be complaining about the cold, wind and snow, it's always much worse around us and in much of the west. So I guess winter is relative. . . . .I just get onto weather.com, take a peek to recall that our weather is definitely mild and remember why we moved here.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM

70 posts, read 267,561 times
My wife and I are seriously looking at locating to Torrington. We love small town living and the people. We moved to Austin TX so I could go to school for 6 months. Now that I'm done, we want to get out of here. It's way too populated. (600k)
The question we have is regarding racial issues in Torrington. My wife is from the Philippines and I am white American. Will there be any problems there with that? Are there other asians there?
We are both easy going people you can always rely on. We're the good neighbors always willing to help, and be part of the community.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

P.S.
Whats the internet service recommendation there? Broadband preferably.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,125 times
Johnny can't imagine this being any problem in Torrington. There are others that can speak to it better than I probably. Have you already visited Torrington? You should make a visit and meet some of the locals, etc. I think you would be impressed with the town atmosphere. It is certainly NOT Austin.

Good Luck

Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM

144 posts, read 628,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
My wife and I are seriously looking at locating to Torrington. We love small town living and the people. We moved to Austin TX so I could go to school for 6 months. Now that I'm done, we want to get out of here. It's way too populated. (600k)
The question we have is regarding racial issues in Torrington. My wife is from the Philippines and I am white American. Will there be any problems there with that? Are there other asians there?
We are both easy going people you can always rely on. We're the good neighbors always willing to help, and be part of the community.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

P.S.
Whats the internet service recommendation there? Broadband preferably.
There are a few Asians here, most notably the owners of the excellent Chinese restaurant.

While there aren't an overwhelming number of Asians (heck-- there's only 5600 of us in the whole town, we don't have an overwhelming number of anything or anybody!!) we do have a fair-sized number of Hispanics and interracial marriage between whites and Hispanics is pretty common and is well accepted.

I think you;ll find attitudes a bit different than those in Texas.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 PM

70 posts, read 267,561 times
Default Mixed bag of stuff

Thanks so much for the insight.
We enjoy good Chinese food. (No MSG?)

We will be spending a some time there early October. From what I have researched it's our kind of place. Even the weather seems to be right.

The only thing that might make it difficult is the internet service. I'm a day trader and need broadband access. But its looking pretty slim. Any info on this service?

Thanks again

Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM

144 posts, read 628,002 times
I have DSL thru Embarq and get about 3000 Kpbs down/600 Kbps up.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Default Internet Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
I have DSL thru Embarq and get about 3000 Kpbs down/600 Kbps up.
I'll echo sixofone's suggestion. We too have DSL thru Embarq and my husband trades stock and ebays (you know, the guy who gets in on the last 3 seconds and steels your bid?!?!) and we always have super fast service. My brother-in-law sells satellite internet and tells me my DSL is faster than that.

I know people who live in the city limits and have cable internet and say it is incredibly fast. Unless you are going to live way out of Torrington without Embarq phone service (where you'll have to get satellite internet) you should be fine.

I also agree an extended visit would help you get a feel for the community. While I think the community is generally accepting of all races, keep in mind it is one of the most conservative counties in a conservative state.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,428 times
Default I am moving to or Near Torrington

I will be moving out that way here pretty soon. I am purchasing a ranch out there and will be settling down with my family. I have a wife and 3 kids with one more on the way. I currently am a Soldier stationed in Korea. My biggest fear is that I am from Washington state and I never been to Wyoming and I don't know how people are going to react to my wife being Filipino. My friend moved to Tennessee and his wife couldn't get a job. Well, my wife don't need a job but I hope we don't go through the same separation that our friends did. I love the coutry life. I grew up around Farms in Washington out in the country.
My oldest son will be 9 years old. He is 100% Filipino and speaks Engilsh. He is shy and I would like to get him into some activities that will help bring him out. My oldest daughter will be 8 years old and I need something for her as well. I have a 4 month old son and a not yet known gender coming in October/November.
I will be breeding Angus on my ranch and I am looking for any helpful info about the market there. Also I would like to know what is the best grass, Hay or Alfalfa to sell? I will have 1800 acres of crop and need to be able to sell fast. So if anyone can tell me which sells the fastest or what is in higher demand that would be great.
I will be there around the middle of March or the beginning of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming