Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 25,717 times

Advertisements

Well Elk, I'm not sure what to make of that. I wasn't sure if it was a vague threat to stay out of Jackson. So...thanks...?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM

3,635 posts, read 6,222,473 times
there is a Kmart in Jackson, and one of the best saddle shops around, Flat creek saddlery

Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,422,592 times
I don't live in Jackson, I'm just over the hill in Idaho; but, I have family in Jackson and I go there if I need to do any shopping. Compared to other places I've lived, Jackson is not expensive for food, gas, utilities, etc. I think it's a large enough town and there's enough competition to keep prices down. Housing is very expensive, but since that is not a concern, I don't think you'll find the cost of living to be unreasonable at all.

Jackson definitely gets a lot of tourist traffic, especially in the summer and there's definitely the large transitional seasonal population that is encountered in any resort town. However, there is a strong core of locals who make Jackson a great community. They live there because they love the place and the endless outdoor/adventure/cultural opportunities it provides. Trying not (and probably failing) to sound corny and cliched, I would call the regular year-round inhabitants of Jackson very passionate.

I don't live in Jackson because it's a too much of a city for me (I've never lived any place that has a traffic light and I'm not much of a people person); but, it's a beautiful, vibrant place and I think you're incredibly fortunate to have the chance to live there without the stress of having to find and pay for housing.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM

258 posts, read 996,386 times
I lived in Jackson for 7 years, having moved there from Michigan. I absolutely loved it and I'm not wealthy. Some things are higher in Jackson than in other parts of the state (I also lived in Cody for 4 yrs) but I didn't find it particularly expensive, in general. Now there are 2 really good grocery stores - Albertsons and Smiths - and they carry the BEST selection of produce and interesting foods to satisfy the upscale population who live or visit and demand it. There 'is' a KMart. I did make the trek to Idaho Falls when I was 'needing' a mall for any reason. Gas is higher but it is also higher in the other scenic, tourist areas of the state. One of the adjustments I had to make was when I traveled outside the valley to the "normal" parts of Wyoming. Towns are few and far between and most everywhere is a pretty long drive. Be sure your gas tank is full and your vehicle is in good running condition. Regarding snow compared to MN, you're probably pretty well prepared psychologically. My daugher lived in Frazee for quite a long time and I visited her frequently. However, the last year I was in Jackson, our snow fall topped 600 inches and stop signs/street signs were completely buried. I dug little ditches for my dogs to "potty" in my backyard as they could easily walk out over the 6 foot privacy fence.

The scenery is magical and like no other. It has some amazing "powers" to draw you in and keep you there. Outdoor recreation is amazing. And, as a final thought (as this is getting 'really' long), St John's Hospital is just plain excellent. I'm so happy for you that you have an opportunity to live in "paradise". It's not "normal", I guess, but it is special!!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,161,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
Regarding snow compared to MN, you're probably pretty well prepared psychologically. My daugher lived in Frazee for quite a long time and I visited her frequently.

that's too funny.. I just substitute taught in Frazee yesterday and my husband's family is from there. We live in Detroit Lakes, so just a hop-skip-and a jump away. And yep, we have snow and cold..yet again!

I don't think that Elk Hunter was saying stay away from Jackson.. I think he was being facetious I'd move there, if I could find a job and had housing. I'd say "go for it" ...since, in the words of the song "It's better to have had your wish, than to wish you had." I never regret moving to the mountains..only regret is moving back here (though I wouldn't have met my husband if I hadn't so I guess God has a plan after all!).

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,877,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmerfam View Post
Well Elk, I'm not sure what to make of that. I wasn't sure if it was a vague threat to stay out of Jackson. So...thanks...?!
Just trying to say that Wyoming is just normal for folks. You can live anywhere in the state and it's pretty normal. Jackson is expensive. If you can afford to live there, then fine. But I can't. Most normal folks can't.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 25,717 times
Gotcha, thanks. We're very normal (financially, at least), just lucky to have free housing right in Jackson with this particular job. Otherwise there is not even a remote chance we'd be able to afford living there!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
that's too funny.. I just substitute taught in Frazee yesterday and my husband's family is from there. We live in Detroit Lakes, so just a hop-skip-and a jump away. And yep, we have snow and cold..yet again!

I don't think that Elk Hunter was saying stay away from Jackson.. I think he was being facetious I'd move there, if I could find a job and had housing. I'd say "go for it" ...since, in the words of the song "It's better to have had your wish, than to wish you had." I never regret moving to the mountains..only regret is moving back here (though I wouldn't have met my husband if I hadn't so I guess God has a plan after all!).
Wow, small world! My daughter and family lived on Wymer Lake.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmerfam View Post
Gotcha, thanks. We're very normal (financially, at least), just lucky to have free housing right in Jackson with this particular job. Otherwise there is not even a remote chance we'd be able to afford living there!
Then, go for it. You'll never regret it. I'd respectfully disagree with ElkHunter: lots of "normal" people live and work hard in Jackson. Maybe I'll run into you this summer as I'm trying to get organized to live there this summer. I considered my 7 years there a 'gift'!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,338,972 times
No worries Elkhunter...I saavied what you meant right away.

"Birds of a feather..." yadda yadda yadda.

(BTW, I landed on my feet about 2hrs southwest of you; I can see your foothills from here...I'm back to feedin someone's critters, and will ride it out for as long as it lasts.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming