Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 15,103 times

Advertisements

After many years of wanting to move to Wyoming I have been offered a job in Riverton Wyoming. We recently visited the state - Casper - and Dubois years ago and actually look forward to the culture shock of this move. But now we have a challenge. FINDING A PERMANENT PLACE TO LIVE WITHIN 50 MILES OF RIVERTON. Our research on apartments revealed limited resources since we do have a dog - well behaved and not a vicious breed mind you - but still a dog and a lot of owners don't want to rent to a family with a dog. Is there anyone out there in the Riverton area that can provide us with any really good information on rentals - any kind - except the COZY MOBILE HOME PARK IN RIVERTON - WE ALREADY HAVE HEARD ABOUT THAT ONE! I have the standard information from the Chamber of Commerce, Realtors who only want to sell, and the two Property Management Companies in town. If anyone out there has a place to rent to my wife and I and our curly coated retriever please let us know. We will be making the move from Kansas City, Missouri late June 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHead View Post
After many years of wanting to move to Wyoming I have been offered a job in Riverton Wyoming. We recently visited the state - Casper - and Dubois years ago and actually look forward to the culture shock of this move. But now we have a challenge. FINDING A PERMANENT PLACE TO LIVE WITHIN 50 MILES OF RIVERTON. Our research on apartments revealed limited resources since we do have a dog - well behaved and not a vicious breed mind you - but still a dog and a lot of owners don't want to rent to a family with a dog. Is there anyone out there in the Riverton area that can provide us with any really good information on rentals - any kind - except the COZY MOBILE HOME PARK IN RIVERTON - WE ALREADY HAVE HEARD ABOUT THAT ONE! I have the standard information from the Chamber of Commerce, Realtors who only want to sell, and the two Property Management Companies in town. If anyone out there has a place to rent to my wife and I and our curly coated retriever please let us know. We will be making the move from Kansas City, Missouri late June 2007.
I've encountered the same thing. The add says, "No Pets". To Wyomingites, it's a cover. You get out of your vehicle and let the dog out with you. Walk up to the peoples house and say howdy. Let them see that the dog is harmless and that you are good people. They'll welcome all.

Think about it. If you was going to rent out your place, you lay down standards in your add. You say no children. This little brown eyed girl of 12 comes up and says, "Sir, I would like to rent the house and I don't have any children, but I do have two elderly parents living with me." What are you going to say?

Present the dog. Don't sell the dog. Just get out and walk up and talk to them. Let them see the dog is harmless. You'll find a place.

Good luck and welcome to Wyoming.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Riverton and Rentals

JGussler
Thanks for the advice. That type of positive and helpful attitude is one of the many reasons why we and others apparently are excited about a move to Wyoming. Thanks again. - Jarhead (Ole Marine 1969-1980)

Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I get real upset with people that just let their dogs out on my property. Especially unannounced.
I had a wolf cross for many years in wyoming. He got in more fights with other dogs on our property. Mostly ones that just jumped out of the vehicles for one reason or another. Same whem I lived in town in town. He never got out of my yard. But we had more than dog one over the years that jumped the fence, into our yard. He made sure there were no repeats of that. He would also let anyone pet him and kids got downright mean from time to time. He would just find me and let me see the kids bieng mean and stop it for him. In 14 years this 125 pound dog never bit a human. He did kill other dogs, though.
Don't just assume that the homeowner will want to see your dog.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:32 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Rentals have always been hard to come by in Fremont county. Maybe try Hudson (the small town between Lander and Riverton), Shoshoni or the area around Pavillion/Kinnear?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
Most people in Wyoming are dog friendly and so are their dogs.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Doggie Business

EarnieFan - Thanks for the moral support. One of the reason we are making this move, and it is definite now - 18 June Start Date - is the fact that so many people have been so friendly and open to new people and future friends.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Dog Gone Wild Issues

Re: Shadowalker
Not to worry - since our dog was adopted at 8 weeks old - she has never been anywhere that we haven't been - matter of fact, she is a 90 pound curly coated retriever couch potato that we are certain uses our remote to watch TV and drinks our beer - she goes where we go (not literally) Actually, we would never allow her to trespass onto anyones property - she will protect ours though. We really like Wyoming and looking forward to our move. We'll buy the dog some doggy diapers to wear with suspenders and mail the contents back to Kansas City - where it belongs COD

Last edited by JarHead; 05-25-2007 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 05-26-2007, 03:48 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I like the diaper idea. I will do that for where I live in tennessee, after I am gone.
I have lived in riverton four times over the years. The people are cool mostly, I do hope you get a place that's good for your whole family. There or casper is probably where I'll live when we move back in a year or two. It is close to some of the best hunting and fishing in the state. But it is good anywhere out there I guess.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM

61 posts, read 215,872 times
Have you thought of offering potential landlords a nice "pet deposit" to offset any possible damage they think your dog could do? I'll agree that rentals in Fremont county are hard to come by regardless of whether you have a dog or not. There is so little housing there that most folks moving in will buy rather than rent. You will get alot more house for your money in Riverton, vs. Lander, but Lander is much prettier. The winter time commute from Lander to Riverton can be a bear (I've done it millions of times). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming