Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times

Advertisements

Bison basicly a nich market but the Lamb is almost there too. MSLC soure help the lamb industry in Wyoming. Best investment I ever made buying stock.
We put a few home raised lambs in the frezzer every year. God didn't put enough chops on then though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Bison basicly a nich market but the Lamb is almost there too. MSLC soure help the lamb industry in Wyoming. Best investment I ever made buying stock. We put a few home raised lambs in the frezzer every year. God didn't put enough chops on then though....
Bison have a very large Eastern and Southeastern market that sell both the ground meat and serve the steaks. But, the best bison burger I ever had was at the Soda Butte in Cooke City, MT.

Lamb shanks are my fav and you're right about the chops and I have a couple of locals raising some for me right now.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
I cannot say with absolute certainty about any wolf pack and/or ranging habitat that I haven't seen with my own eyes. I CAN however say this, because I DID see it with my own two eyes, and "glassed" it as I was trying to get a better view: last fall, I had a large "grey" wolf run out in front of my truck north of Centennial, @ 8 miles north on Fallen Pines Road while I was Elk Hunting. When I got my truck stopped on the snow and ice packed road, got out and glassed it in the trees, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But my eyes were clear and so was my head. It had stopped, turned broadside, and was looking right at me. I KNOW what I saw.

The 2008 season was poor, but 2009 was P**S POOR (for the most part) in that Area. I'm NOT saying that there weren't Elk and deer harvested, but the other hunters and business owners I know in the area all said the same thing, the numbers just weren't there. Hmmmm, I can't imagine why

Ohhhhh, you still see some herds grazing down in the valley, on private land, but they are staying out of the mountains where hunting has been traditionally good, and even decent in the off years.

What's happening in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho is spreading folks. If we don't get a handle, or "hand", on the wolf issue, there won't BE a tradition left to pass on to our children and grandchildren, at least in the Mountain States anyway. We're focused on Elk, but deer, antelope, and mountain sheep are also threatened, not to mention domestic livestock. What's next on the menu, pets and children? Just ask some folks in California about what happens when those pretty little mountain kitty's decide that "Rover" is easier to find than wild game, and some genius crackpot decided they shouldn't be hunted and the population controlled.

If anyone out there loves the wolf , and it's their environmental poster-pet because it reminds them of the beloved family dog, then come on up to THIS part of the Country where WE have to deal with them. While I'm NOT suggesting that anyone break ANY law, I do tend to be somewhat more understanding of the 3-S rules of hunting when it comes to wolves.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:54 AM

382 posts, read 936,492 times
"Wolves make few unnecessary elk kills, study says
Wapiti tend to stay on Gros Ventre feedgrounds during attacks."

Jackson Hole News&Guide | Wolves make few unnecessary elk kills, study says

Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM

talk with the elk feeder that was there on the Gros Ventre before and after the the wolves were introduced....he there every day not a few like the Biologist

Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM

a couple years ago the wolves had the elk pushed down to the Taylor ranch by slide lake, It was said youy wear a pair of snow shoes out trying to get the elk off rthe cattle feed ground. They really diudn't want to go back to thiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming