Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 27,025 times

Advertisements

So I've lurked here for quite a while. There is a job with Western Wyoming Community College I'm considering applying for. I'd like some input on current conditions in Rock Springs.

A little background: I currently live in Wichita, KS, but I'm originally from Minnesota. Weather-wise, I'd prefer Wyoming weather to Kansas weather. Although Wichita is a decent sized city, I grew up 5 miles from a town of 116 and taught for 3 years on a rural Reservation in South Dakota, so the size of the town isn't a big factor for me. It's just me, no wife, no kids, so the schools don't concern me much either. (I'm a teacher, so they ALWAYS concern me, but not personally here.) I avoid druggies, so any meth problem isn't a huge concern either.

Has the housing market cooled enough in the area that I have a decent shot of finding a rental (apartment most likely)? I figure I can spend $800 a month if I go back to Ramen. It'd probably need to be in Rock Springs since while I trust my winter driving skills, I don't trust my car's worthiness in the snow.

As an FYI, my credit score is poor. I should be able to get good references from my current landlord (for the past 9 years) though as well as the one before that in terms of always paying rent on time, no complaints about noise, etc.

I'd love some feedback about the attainability of my move before going to the bother of applying for the job.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calj520 View Post
So I've lurked here for quite a while. There is a job with Western Wyoming Community College I'm considering applying for. I'd like some input on current conditions in Rock Springs.

A little background: I currently live in Wichita, KS, but I'm originally from Minnesota. Weather-wise, I'd prefer Wyoming weather to Kansas weather. Although Wichita is a decent sized city, I grew up 5 miles from a town of 116 and taught for 3 years on a rural Reservation in South Dakota, so the size of the town isn't a big factor for me. It's just me, no wife, no kids, so the schools don't concern me much either. (I'm a teacher, so they ALWAYS concern me, but not personally here.) I avoid druggies, so any meth problem isn't a huge concern either.

Has the housing market cooled enough in the area that I have a decent shot of finding a rental (apartment most likely)? I figure I can spend $800 a month if I go back to Ramen. It'd probably need to be in Rock Springs since while I trust my winter driving skills, I don't trust my car's worthiness in the snow.

As an FYI, my credit score is poor. I should be able to get good references from my current landlord (for the past 9 years) though as well as the one before that in terms of always paying rent on time, no complaints about noise, etc.

I'd love some feedback about the attainability of my move before going to the bother of applying for the job.

Thanks for your help!
My opinion is that anything is "doable" as long as you set your mind to it!!! We moved to Gillette 1 1/2 yrs ago to better our financial situation (by a lot) and had heard bad things about Gillette, along with many good things. We decided to go with the attitude that we would love it here and we do! Like you, we avoid the "bad" as much as we can. As for Rock Springs, my brother and his wife just moved there in August so he could teach and coach there after doing the same in our small hometown of Basin for 25 years. They are loving Rock Springs. Being the oil industry has slowed rentals aren't as hard to come by and I can bet you could find a place to suit your needs. You can always move up as you get established. Sounds like R.S. has quite a bit of shopping for a town its size (much more than Gillette, which is quite a bit bigger), and my bro & his wife love taking the relatively short trip to Salt Lake for any "big" shopping trips, sporting events, culture, etc. One thing I'd consider if I were you is that you've been offered one of what I would consider "best" type jobs in Wyoming. Although it may not pay as much as some of the energy industry jobs, it is with the state, which has fantastic benefits and wonderful retirement. I've heard a lot of good about the college there. If you want more info I don't have first hand information, but I could ask my brother. As a "newbie" there I'm sure he could answer a lot of your questions regarding being new to town. Best of luck to you in your endeavor!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Check the rental housing ads in the RocketMiner.com, the local paper.

They're showing a number of apartments in the $600-800 range for one-bedroom apartments these days.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 AM

89 posts, read 253,140 times
This may be a stretch, but contact a local realtor as well. You "MIGHT" be surprised by the repo market. We lived in Green River for a couple of years (bedroom community for Rock Springs) and there were a LOT of people tied to the energy industry who bought houses and had no business doing so. Now that the boom has cooled off SOME, and pulled back, there may be some good deals on repo's, along with the First Time Home Buyer credit (time might be running out on that one though). Anyway, some of those repo's might be good rental opportunities now as well, depending on who owns them. Just a thought. But hey, if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Rock Springs as a community isn't a bad place. We enjoyed our time there and the "outdoor opportunities" are AWESOME. Like everywhere else, it's what you make of it. It IS a small town, but it sounds like that's not going to be a big surprise or a big deal for you. Salt Lake is a nice day trip or weekend getaway.

Good luck, there ARE worse places to be, no doubt. I've lived in some of them.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,825 times
Default is rock springs family friendly?

Hi

Moving to the area w/ my wife and young son who is 5 mo's. Can anyone recomend any playgroups or things for stay at home moms?

thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM

47 posts, read 109,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calj520 View Post

Thanks for your help!
Housing hasn't cooled, per se, but it has become slightly more sane since the boom eased when Obama took office. Right at the height of the boom my wife and I were home shopping, ending up getting a mobile home, simply because it was all that was affordable.

Something you might look into is what I did when I was single, when I first moved here. I bought a piece of property that had 3 houses on it, rented out two of 'em and lived in the 3rd. Yeah, you've got to fix things when they go south, but my "rent" (The remainder of the mortgage not covered by the renters) was a screamin' 275$ a month. If you're interested in that route get ahold of the folks at Brokerage Southwest, they were more than helpful to me when I told them what I was trying to do. And my credit score at the time was such that I couldn'tve financed a Snickers bar!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Tanker_Yanker; 03-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
Hey familyman ~ great description of R.S. I lived there for 9mo, attended WWCC and i have extended family in the area. I had a couple part time jobs in which my coworkers were some of the nastiest people I have ever met. I did attend a church with some very good nice people. Some people like it there but for others it is hell on earth.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,825 times
how were they nasty?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 17,390 times
Well, we moved here 6 years ago and we love it. We decided to move to Green River for the "neighborhood town" over the "industrial town" of Rock Springs (where we work). Personally, I find people here quite friendly. As for the drugs here, you will find that same problem in nearly every town across the US. We don't choose to run around with those who use drugs, therefore, we don't see it. Since the boom has lessened, there are rentals, as well as foreclosures available, and they aren't running for the same insanely high prices they were prior to the boom. You can find a decent apartment for less than $1000/month. If you come in with a sour attitude about the place, you likely won't get into it, but if you some in with a positive attitude, you'll love it. You should contact the Chamber of Commerce and have them mail you a relocation packet, that way you can check out the activities, housing market, cost of living, etc. Wishing you the best of luck with your possible job and relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming