U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:56 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,771,072 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please tell me about the live music scene in Cheyenne (and perhaps Laramie)? I'm a blues musician (guitar) and I'll be moving out there in the years to come and was hoping the scene is good or improving. I realize Cheyenne is a relatively small town, but any insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

...Ty
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:54 PM

74 posts, read 291,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Can anyone please tell me about the live music scene in Cheyenne (and perhaps Laramie)? I'm a blues musician (guitar) and I'll be moving out there in the years to come and was hoping the scene is good or improving. I realize Cheyenne is a relatively small town, but any insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

...Ty
Used to live in Wyoming, am now in Boise, ID. The live music scene is quiet. Most of the live music scenes stays south in Ft. Collins, CO, Boulder, CO, and Denver.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 PM

11,364 posts, read 46,959,409 times
Other than during Cheyenne Frontier Days ... which is probably not a venue for jazz music ... there's very few places for a live band in either town.

For the most part, there's only two types of live music played here ... country or western.

There's also a small concert series each year with classical music.

Live jazz will more likely be heard in Boulder, Ft Collins, Denver ....

Old 06-02-2007, 10:26 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,261,558 times
I really am no expert on this one. But let me offer my 3 cents worth. (you know, inflation)

I have been to both. Going through and I lounged in the hotel bar and heard what they had. Never ventured out in town because when I'd get there, it would be 8 or 9 and I needed to be back on the road at 5.

However, having said that, I would think that Laramie would have something. Laramie is a college town and should be a little more diversified. But again, I don't know. My brother in law lived there and we visited once a year. But we stayed at his house and bar-b-qued some steaks. Never went out.

But Laramie seemed more on the go. Cheyenne seemed more at home.

Maybe some people that lived there could add to this. Hope so.

By the way, when I say Cheyenne seemed more at home???? That was a good thing. I'm getting too old for Jazz. However, I will take a good jitterbug.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,786,732 times
Oh my goodness sunsprit you need to get yourself to Laramie and listen to the bands playing in the bars other than The Cowboy.

The Buckhorn Bar in Laramie is a good place to start, also many of the restaurants in downtown Laramie have live musicians during and after dinner, many of them double as bars. I would just go downtown and start talking to people when you arrive.

That's one of the things I miss the most about Laramie is the music. There are some really good bands in the area, granted some of them come up from Fort Collins and Boulder areas but there are some good ones right there in Laramie too.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM

176 posts, read 887,845 times
How about bluegrass? I've got to hit one good BG festival a year!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 AM

74 posts, read 291,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
How about bluegrass? I've got to hit one good BG festival a year!
Bear Trap Meadow Festival, Casper Mountain, Casper, WY

Summer, can't remember exact time

Old 06-03-2007, 12:38 AM

254 posts, read 805,479 times
Beartrap Festival, Casper, WY

July 21 & 22, 2007

Beartrap Summer Festival - Casper, Wyoming

Old 06-03-2007, 02:15 AM

592 posts, read 2,049,492 times
Tyster, come on out and get your music started. Put an add in the paper and see if any others reply. I think people would love to hear ya play. In my experience , there is all sorts of musicians , all over Wyoming. You just have to get out there and make the connections.

Beartrap is a lot of fun.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM

11,364 posts, read 46,959,409 times
Efan ... FWIW, I had a friend in Cheyenne recently stationed here for three years by an engineering company for projects with Warren AFB. He's a highly talented jazz guitarist, comes from a very famous musical family that has many platinum R&B albums over a period of 25 years (and he's a nice guy, too). In short, he could have made a career out of music with the family, but choose to play on the sidelines of his architectural career. He's someone well known enough in the music industry that he'd be welcome to sit in almost anywhere, or to be in on a recording session for many artists ... which he's done many times through the years. He's a rep for an in the pro trade custom guitar company, too, and does demo's for them for professional musicians ....

He could not find gigs in the Cheyenne and Laramie area. He'd drive to Ft Collins or Boulder to play on weekends, or fly out of the area for the weekend gigs.

He's since moved on to another locale where he can work and find local gigs ... left his high paying job here in Cheyenne just so he could have a combination of a good job and local gigs. Took a lower paying job in a more expensive place to live just so he could have that combination ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming