Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM

30 posts, read 98,125 times

Advertisements

I've heard conflicting reports about the success of drilled water wells up north of Cody in the Clark area. Everything from "50 feet and great" to "400 feet and a gallon a minute of sulfur water". I realize that variances are normal given the topography and geology of any area but is it really that hit-or-miss up that way? I was thinking about simply saving the money that would be spent on an unsuccessful well drilling attempt and going with a cistern but the prospect of relying on a delivery truck for my water needs doesn't sound like fun. How do most folks up that way get their water? Any info on experiences with cistern usage would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 AM

76 posts, read 258,949 times
Well, I'm not by Cody, across the mountain from there in Sheridan. I can relate though, before we moved little better than a year ago my family lived/worked on a ranch outside of town here. We moved and started working there in the mid-80's and just before we got there the ranch was re-doing their water system. Before it was a system that pulled water right from the creek but it didn't work all that well - water would get a lot of silt in it and had some other problems too. Anyway, they drilled a couple test holes to see if they could find enough water to have a well. One hole was 400ft and they didn't hit anything, they moved a little ways and tried a second hole, 800ft and came up dry again. The neighbor across the draw had an artesian well.

They finally ended up putting in a system to use the water out of a natural spring. Ran just enough water to run a couple houses is all.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM

157 posts, read 329,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinowy View Post
Well, I'm not by Cody, across the mountain from there in Sheridan. I can relate though, before we moved little better than a year ago my family lived/worked on a ranch outside of town here. We moved and started working there in the mid-80's and just before we got there the ranch was re-doing their water system. Before it was a system that pulled water right from the creek but it didn't work all that well - water would get a lot of silt in it and had some other problems too. Anyway, they drilled a couple test holes to see if they could find enough water to have a well. One hole was 400ft and they didn't hit anything, they moved a little ways and tried a second hole, 800ft and came up dry again. The neighbor across the draw had an artesian well.

They finally ended up putting in a system to use the water out of a natural spring. Ran just enough water to run a couple houses is all.
Is that typical in the Sheridan area? I assume in town they have city water but how far out of town does it extend?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM

63 posts, read 186,882 times
I have lived with a cistern for 23 years. I get 3500 gallons delivered approx every 6 weeks. Started out with a cost of $20.00 a load and is now $85.00. Never been more than two people living here, but if I had a full family with teenagers the water use would double.

Well drilling is such a crapshoot. If it comes up sevens you are golden, snake eyes, you loose.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,044 times
In my experience, it was far cheaper to have a cistern and purchase water than to drill for it. Clark and Line Creek areas are very hard to find potable water, because of the sulphur present. It gets worse every time they drill another gas well. Rotary drills take up to a month to get to water and you are paying dearly for 2 gph from 500ft.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 245,206 times
We just had a well drilled in Clark and it hit an aquifer that comes right from the mountains. Only had to go 77 feet and got a well capable of producing 59 gal per minute. Just a couple of miles from us our real estate agent exists on a well that only produces 1.5 to 2 gal per minute. We were told that the average depth in Clark is 350 to 400 feet to find good water, and we know what a crap shoot drilling there is so feel very blessed!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
I have lived with a cistern for 23 years. I get 3500 gallons delivered approx every 6 weeks. Started out with a cost of $20.00 a load and is now $85.00. Never been more than two people living here, but if I had a full family with teenagers the water use would double.

Well drilling is such a crapshoot. If it comes up sevens you are golden, snake eyes, you loose.
If you hauled it yourself in a pick up.. what would it run you?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM

63 posts, read 186,882 times
I believe it is approx $2.00 for 500 gallons. A PU tank is approx $300 with hose and valves, and really it needs to be mounted on a 3/4 ton PU. If one goes the PU way then you loose the bed of the truck for any usefull purpose other than water hauling.

I just bought a tandem axle trailer that I am going to use for water hauling. Used it was $1300, and a big tank, to mount on it ( 500-750 gallons) will be in the $500 range. I'd like a tank that will take care of use for the week, and I'd like to not have to worry so much about water conservation.

Just for comparision water cost (including sewer) in the town of Lander is $49.20 a month for 10000 gallons

Last edited by Trouthead; 03-27-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
I believe it is approx $2.00 for 500 gallons. A PU tank is approx $300 with hose and valves, and really it needs to be mounted on a 3/4 ton PU. If one goes the PU way then you loose the bed of the truck for any usefull purpose other than water hauling.

I just bought a tandem axle trailer that I am going to use for water hauling. Used it was $1300, and a big tank, to mount on it ( 500-750 gallons) will be in the $500 range. I'd like a tank that will take care of use for the week, and I'd like to not have to worry so much about water conservation.

Just for comparision water cost (including sewer) in the town of Lander is $49.20 a month for 10000 gallons
yes, that is a bit more if you are ordering it versus hauling it.. but I can see the convenience in the winter time. Are you far out of town? My aunt and uncle live off of N 2nd and have a well and running water on their property. Wish I could afford to buy their place...I'd just move there if I could.

I don't know what city water/sewer costs here, as we have a well/septic, even though we live in town. We could hook up to the city stuff, but it's expensive. Do you know if the water in Lander is chemically treated or just filtered from Fry lake (I think it's Fry)... ? Do most towns have water treatment plants?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 AM

157 posts, read 329,473 times
Is there something you need to put in the cisterns for algae, bacteria, mold, etc? And is there ever a problem with them freezing in the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming