Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:15 PM

70 posts, read 267,561 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to relocate and start a small business in Sundance. We can offer a service to the locals so they don't need to drive all the way to Gillette or SD.
Any thoughts on this subject?

Enjoying the simple things in life is good for your health.

Last edited by JohnnyQuest; 04-03-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Through the years, several businesses were born and died in Sundance. Normally, not enough business to make a go. Not enough people.

The people in remote areas like Sundance have become accustomed to making do with a Monthly trip to Spearfish or Rapid City for major food runs, school clothes and supplies, etc.

If a person could come up with a business that brought relief from major trips for locals, and also had internet business that shipped out of there, you might make it. Or, if a person or couple were semi retired and slow times were not a problem, you might make it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
When living overseas we used 'provisioners' to do shopping (because there are no supermarkets and it takes a long time to get around the city by bus and wait in lines at each store)

I think that is potentially a good business model for remote areas, BUT there is a cultural barrier to break too, as some folks kinda look forward to the monthly trip, even if it is a hassle. AND you need to compliment local services, and not erode them. (I.e. local stores / merchants).

Maybe some comprehensive service to both parties. (I.e. Bringing bulk supplies that do not compromise local business, and distributing them 1/wk At the local store parking lot, while brings some bulk products for the local store to make an incremental profit - bulk fruit / veggies / specialty)

Something that could go both ways would be a bonus. Local producers might need to get their products accessible to population areas. Here regionally, we have a Mobile Farmers Market and a Mobile USDA approved slaughter truck. These are Co-op owned and provide good regional service and market access (W/o grower / producer having to set up and attend a farmers market all weekend)

Get in touch with your local SBDC, I saw an opening in Sundance and was all but jumping to apply. (til I realized I can't spring for that, yet... maybe in my next life )
http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/sbdc/ (broken link)
These folks are really great!!!!

personally (since I like to drive... did DEN>Buffalo>Newcastle>Ft Collins daily for 7 ys)) I would look into a way to leverage the location and need for services. Hopefully, get a document delivery route for banks / lenders and regional customers + some relief driving for small goods / parts delivery for locals. (in the olden days (pre-fed-x)... the Trailways bus could deliver stuff daily). I would make me up a euro spec 4motion TDI diesel VW passat wagon that had 40 + mpg and a 1000 mile range. I saw a guy importing parts to do this, as these cars can't come to USA assembled.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-03-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Default Keeping It Simple

Thanks for the info.

We wanted to see if a full service computer store and Ebay seller would be successful.
I am a semi-retired IT professional. So just a little cash flow would work for us.

Also, does anyone know what the fastest ISP is there?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I'm not sure how much you have looked into Sundance but it's only 1100 people. Very little business in town other then support type for fuel, food, and such.

Sheridan has 2 computer stores for 15000 people and neither one could make it strictly as a computer store. So they do other things.

Here are some links to possibly help with Sundance.

City of Sundance

City-Data demographics

Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Default More Pondering

Thanks ElkHunter.

I was looking at the bigger picture and was thinking about all of Crook County. I have successfully built and sold (2) prior computer stores. I had customers driving from other county's to deal with me. I was hoping that my wonderful personality and extreme experience will do the same in Sundance. But then... You never know. That's why, I was hoping, if I offer the Ebay selling and even website design... I can make it work. Right?

Maybe we should make another trip there and chat with some of the folks. See what they think. Maybe we should venture to Spearfish.

We like small towns. I always felt we would blend in nicely there. I'm the guy that likes to help everyone. (Hey! Is that my lawn mower in your garage? )

Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Regional IT support would be my choice.

Retail / office or store I would not recommend. (fixed costs, defined hours, back-up help)
There could be some long days (weeks) waiting for a customer.

Newcastle / Custer may be a better choice for higher volume of customers.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
You might consider traveling a bit if you can. I know of a computer store in Rapid City that services a mine or more around Gillette. That means they can also service other businesses when they're here. I bought my current computer from them, as well as my wide-format printer, a few hard drives, etc., and they came here to service my flatbed scanner when it quit working a couple years ago.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
or do like Hunky did here he comes to you or you to him.
hunkydory.cc

Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
A quick search on "computer" looking at the Sundance area in Google Maps turns up two Computer businesses in the area. Mountain Computer Services Mountain Computer Services and Stallion Techs Computer Support, Network Support, Web Design
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming