Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 87,021 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if there is a teacher shortage in Wyoming? I recently moved my family to Casper, and I'm still in Mississippi trying to sell the house so I can join them. My wife has a job but there are no jobs anywhere there for my profession. I'm ready to change careers anyway. Extreme burnout. Here in MS there is an acute shortage of high school teachers, and they are issuing temporary teaching certificates with a few minimum qualifications allowing you to start teaching while attending classes to obtain a regular certificate. Is there any such program in WY? I'm trying to look for other career options I might enjoy. Thanks guys for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Location: Gillette, WY, Layton, UT, Alameda, CA, Fairfield, CA, Fort Collins, CO, Denver, CO, Chandler, AZ
31 posts, read 150,512 times
Default Teachers

Look at energy boom areas: Gillette, Rock Springs, Rawlins, Sheridan.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM

Thanks wildman for input. I'm afraid I'm pretty much limited to the Casper area. The economy there seems to be booming so I'm hopeful I can find something. I think I'm just going to have to go on out on the faith I can find something. Luckily my wife has a good job there to keep us going till something comes up for me. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM

138 posts, read 468,405 times
Boy, I am posting all over. I just talked with a friend, while posting on another (ooh- sorry, I forgot to check my spelling- trying to talk on phone at same time); any way she says no shortage. Hard to get a job in WY. Sorry!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 20,999 times
Default Rawlins needs Teachers

Easy to get a job in Rawlins teaching I believe. Most other towns too.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default teaching jobs

Some friends moved here this summer - both are teachers - and were offered multiple jobs. There were several hired in the small town where I live. I think Gillette hired about 18 new teachers this year. I sub in the school system here - that's a good way to get into the system so if an opening comes up they know you. I'm not certified - so I'm not looking for a teaching job but they seem to be plentiful.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks MHT. I think thats a great idea-subbing. I think I'll give that a try. That way I'll know if I'll like the profession enough to get certification. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I have a friend that is a teacher and she recently moved to Sheridan. Took her all of about 5 days to find a job teaching. She preferred High School but took a job in Junior High.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:31 PM

83 posts, read 953,847 times
This is really good to here I graduated with a teaching degree from Michigan last month and am looking for an excuse to move out to Rockies! Can anyone tell me the bigger and/or better cities to live as far as graduate school and of course economic-social activities? Please reply....

Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Default Educators

James,

Good educators are a must anywhere. I live in Sheridan and I've been really impressed with the teachers here. I taught advanced electronics for 17.5 years but I had dedicated students. haha I taught in the military and if you come out number one in the class, you had first pick of the orders laying on the table. Could be life or death.

But one thing that really impressed me here when I got out of the military and moved back here. I enrolled my kids in the local schools. 2 in elementary, 2 in junior high and 1 in high school. I went in and asked the teacher for her curriculum because I wanted to keep track of where my child was at. I did this just to test her. She didn't even flinch, she just reached in the drawer of her desk and said, here. She handed me the complete year of curriculum. It was a complete layout of what chapter, what tests, what assignments, everything for the year. How many places can you go and get that kind of information? When I was stationed in San Diego I asked a teacher once for her outline. She said, "Well, we have this book and we try and get as far as we can." I asked her, last year my daughter said you got to chapter 14. This year my younger daughter said you only got to chapter 10. Does that mean you teach differently each year? She said, no not at all. Clueless. Was really happy with Wyoming schools. Here is the curriculum, this is what we're going to do, either stay with us or get left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming