Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a potential opportunity to move to Jackson. It strikes me as a friendly town and I was wondering what others think? I would appreciate any perspectives on the pros and cons of the community.

I'm particulary interested in what folks think about the schools.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I lived in Jackson for 17 years.....the real estate prices and crowds in the summer finally burned me out. Most of the worker bees continue to live in Idaho and travel over a sometimes dificult Teton Pass to work in JH and from Star Valley traveling thru Snake River Canyon to work everyday.

If you have a good job lined up although I noticed in the Jackson paper yesterday there were 8 pages of jobs, housing is the tough nut to crack.

Incredible outdoor recreation is a big plus.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM

150 posts, read 519,607 times
10 years ago I rented an apartment a real hole for $800/month in jh.4 months later a much newer and larger apartment in glenrock was $200/month to put the price in perspective.I can not imagine now..

Old 06-14-2007, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,480 times
Default consider Star Valley for lower priced housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT200 View Post
I'm considering a potential opportunity to move to Jackson. It strikes me as a friendly town and I was wondering what others think? I would appreciate any perspectives on the pros and cons of the community.

I'm particulary interested in what folks think about the schools.

THANKS
Hi,
The travel time to Jackson is about 45 minutes from Star Valley. There is a commuter bus that services the area as there are quite a few commuters that live in Star valley. I live in Star Valley, it is not as crowded and yet is close enough to enjoy the ammenities of Jackson Hole. The schools in Star Valley are excellent with a very low pupil to teacher raito.

If you need more info my e-mail address is jahodson@silverstar.com

Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 19,377 times
I know that housing is expensive in Jackson. How about everything else?

Is there a good sence of community?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Most things are pretty normal, maybe abit higher being a resort town but they have a couple of big grocery stores so food is pretty normal and they have a kmart. Utility costs are okay too.

Personally I wouldn't want to travel over Teton Pass or thru the Snake River Canyon 5 days a week in the winter but people do it. A commuter shuttle sounds like a great way to go.

If you live in Alpine(north end of Star Valley) you can do it in the winter in 45 mins but if you live in Afton, at least an hour, maybe more.

Check the local paper Jackson Hole News&Guide Newspaper | Jackson, Wyoming for more info.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 45,371 times
As everyone has mentioned, the high cost of housing has been the toughest issue these days. Many commute from Victor/Driggs, Alpine, rent, and many pray they will eventually get an affordable housing home.

Beyond the housing, I have always found that the cost of living is not too bad, and there is most definitely a sense of community here. A lot of your entertainment is free, the outdoors, and you will generally see many happy smiling faces on the trails. This is where residents spend most of their time outside of work (all seasons). There is also a growing arts community as well. You can check out Center For The Arts: Home as an example of something new in Jackson. We also just finished up with this years Jackson Hole Film Festival.

Having lived here now for over 10 years, I think what is a good idea to think about is ... will you be able to come here and live comfortably with your family? do you like small town, the outdoors, and an (almost) "everyone knows your name" kind of town. As someone who has worked with people looking for jobs and housing here, the main problem I have seen in the past is when people move here just because it is so beautiful. It is spectacular, no doubt about it, but I think for the longer term, you have to truly enjoy this kind of lifestyle beyond the beauty. If you do, and you have your housing under control, you'll love it.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Most native Wyomingites do not claim Jackson as part of the state. Oh, they may like to go there to recreate, but its "vibe" is nothing like the rest of Wyoming. If you like rubbing shoulders with umpteen tourists, "local" residents who are largely rich people from somewhere else (many trust-fund babies) and who usually aren't even there year-round--then you might like Jackson. For the rest of us who are native to the Rocky Mountain West, it's about the same as Aspen, Telluride, Taos, and Santa Fe--communities overrun with the "beautiful people" from somewhere else. I happen to be one who believes that their "trophy houses" don't do one d*** thing to improve the landscape--they trash it up as bad or worse than a single-wide trailer.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,377 times
I appreciate your insight into Jackson. Small town, good arts community, folks know one another, and lots of outdoor extra curricular activities.

I'm interested in whether folks take a while to accept newcomers. This is not uncommon for small towns. Does tourism change the dynamic? Is there a big population turnover?

Also, do you get cabin fever during the winters? And do you do most of your shopping on-line?

Lots of questions. Thanks for any information of opinions you can provide.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Most native Wyomingites do not claim Jackson as part of the state. Oh, they may like to go there to recreate, but its "vibe" is nothing like the rest of Wyoming. If you like rubbing shoulders with umpteen tourists, "local" residents who are largely rich people from somewhere else (many trust-fund babies) and who usually aren't even there year-round--then you might like Jackson. For the rest of us who are native to the Rocky Mountain West, it's about the same as Aspen, Telluride, Taos, and Santa Fe--communities overrun with the "beautiful people" from somewhere else. I happen to be one who believes that their "trophy houses" don't do one d*** thing to improve the landscape--they trash it up as bad or worse than a single-wide trailer.
I have to say that this is definately true. My friends who live in "real" Wyoming referred to Jackson Hole as "WyoDisney"

I do disagree with the implication that " "local" residents who are largely rich people from somewhere else (many trust-fund babies) and who usually aren't even there year-round".

Many locals are regular people who work hard and are there for the skiing, climbing, fishing and other outdoor activities. I, along
with many others usually held at least two jobs to pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: