Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM

57 posts, read 144,353 times

Advertisements

hi,

I'm looking for some general info about Sheridan & the surrounding area. ....what kind of town is it, what to do on weekends, where to shop, nearby towns for day trips, etc... & anything that pertains to someone in their early twenties especially!
I'm going to be living there from June to the end of July working w/Habitat for Humanity through AmeriCorps. I want to explore & do as much as I can in those 2 months! I will be staying in one of the dorms at Sheridan College, so any info about that area is appreciated also

also, what is the weather like in the summer?

thanks so much y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I think you'll like it here.

Sheridan is a town of 15000+ and is very near the Big Horn Mountains. It's steeped in history with Connor Battle Field, Fetterman Battle Field, Wagon Box, Trail End Museum, Kings Saddlery, etc... Lake Desmet is 25 miles South, Tongue River Res is 20 miles North, Sibley Lake just up on the mountain. Tongue River Canyon to go hiking. The Fairgrounds is bound to have something going on.

Pretty active down town area.

The College is located about a mile South of town with a beautiful view of the Big Horns.

I'm sure others will add to this list.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM

57 posts, read 144,353 times
sounds beautiful! i'm outdoorsy, so i'm sure i'll love it.
how's the weather in the summertime? does it get cool enough at nite for a sweatshirt?
thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 PM

47 posts, read 111,912 times
Sheridan in the summer... well it could get over 100F for a day or two in a row, or, it might not the whole season. About what clothes people wear, I am sometimes surprised at people wearing shorts when its snowing and I guess some could wear a sweatshirt in the summer, it might be more comfertable.
In the end of June there is The Bighorn Mountian run where people run up to 100 miles, and its up in the mountians so if you are out there over night you probably should wear a sweatshirt if not more. That is one event I recomend you attend, you could volunteer to help out with one of the aid stations or just be at the start/finish line.
The people at VOA have some younger people about your age who you can hang out with, if not the VoA then the collage. Over the summer there is music in the park once a week, and you should try the icecream at the park while youre there.
And I hope you have fun.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Aside from the shopping in Sheridan, Billings would be your best bet, about 130 miles NW on I-90. Gillette is about 110 miles the other direction on I-90, but I don't think it has a lot more shopping than does Sheridan, even though it's nearly twice the size.

Sheridan is a very nice western town. A year or two ago I think it was named one of the best small towns in the west or some such thing. The Bighorn Mountains are the main attraction, especially for the outdoor enthusiast. Their front range, from Sheridan south to Buffalo, is all very pretty with lots of western history. It was one of the last holdouts for the American Indians; the Custer Battlefield isn't too far north, and several famous Indian-cavalry fights took place between Sheridan and Buffalo. The Wild Bunch's Hole-In-The-Wall hide-out was just south of Buffalo a few miles, and Buffalo is also at the center of Johnson County, as in the Johnson County Range Wars.

A light jacket would be comfortable gear for most evenings in June, probably won't be necessary much in July unless you get into the mountains. With our high elevations, nighttime temps in the summer are usually 30 degrees cooler than day temps. We usually only run our air conditioning during the day if at all.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Weather. As mentioned, we can hit 100, but not often. Typical of the summer time is the evening thunder boomer with a little bit of rain showers.

Temps in the evening will tend to hit in the 60's, and some times in the 50's. But it's not sweater weather. Heck, I started camping a few weeks ago and it was 23 degrees. I considered it brisk, but not cold.

Last August, the 22nd, I went camping up on top. We got snowed on.

Once you get here, you'll understand what "Up on top" means.

If you are outdoorsy, you will absulutely love this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming