Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times

Advertisements

I have not camped at Yellowstone, but we camped almost our entire time at Glacier. It was MUCH cheaper than a hotel. Very safe too, as far as I know. I would camp at Yellowstone anytime! We had friends that went backpacking (off the trails out in the wilderness) last year and they had a great time. If you want to see wolves, your best bet is near the west entrance, near Cody. That's what we found anyway, but if you ask any of the rangers, they will give you pointers.

I would think that you could get reservations anytime - even a week before. I don't know that for sure though. Also, we've never RV'ed so I can't comment on that.

I'm so excited for you. We just love that part of the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Plan Your Yellowstone Vacation with Our Free Trip Planner - YellowstonePark.com

Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
I would say you have plenty of time to plan your trip, even for August of this year. If you're planning to stay in hotels, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one outside the park, such as in Cody (as suggested above). Other places to consider would be Red Lodge, Gardiner, or Livingston (all three are in Montana), or either Ashton or Rexburg, Idaho. A little bit further would take you to some larger cities that would almost certainly have somewhere you could stay. These cities would include Billings or Bozeman in Montana, or Idaho Falls, Idaho. You may even want to consider several of these places, because they are located close to different parts of the park.

Red Lodge is close (~2 hrs.) to the northeast entrance, at the other end of the "Beartooth Highway" (US Rt. 212). This is a spectacular stretch of road that will wow you on just about every turn. Even though you'll spend a few hours making this drive, the scenery is well worth seeing. I'd recommend it for at least one day & night of your trip. Another nearby route that is similarly spectacular is the "Chief Joseph Highway" (WY State Rt. 296). This route is also worth taking.

As far as camping is concerned, there are lots of places to camp both in and close to Yellowstone National Park, as well as in or near Grand Teton National Park. Some of these campgrounds are first come, first served, so they don't require reservations. Check here for camping information in Yellowstone:

Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service)

Keep in mind that some campgrounds do not permit tents or soft-sided trailers because of bear problems. Most campgrounds, though, do permit them, but it is still prudent to be cautious because the whole area is bear country. This means keeping food, toothpaste, and other scented items away from your tent, and following posted guidelines for storage of these items.

Campground amenities vary significantly from one place to the next, so check ahead of time if you are looking for particular amenities such as showers or flush toilets. Don't forget to check private campgrounds, too, since they sometimes have more to offer than the public ones do.

As for Mt. Rushmore, I would advise spending at least one day and night there. When I was there a few years ago, they had a night-time lighting ceremony on Mt. Rushmore, and I would recommend seeing it if you can. There are also several other attractions in the area you may wish to see, such as the towns of Lead and Deadwood, the 1880s train, and the Crazy Horse memorial. Wall Drug is supposed to be a great place to stop along the way, but I have yet to do so. Badlands and Wind Cave National Parks are also nearby, as is Jewel Cave National Monument. Across the state line in Wyoming is Devil's Tower National Monument, another sight worth seeing if time permits. If you wish to see all these things, you could add about another week to your trip!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
In many ways the Black Hills is a better area for family vacationing that Yellowstone. It's just geared more for kids -- lots of privately owned activities from trout fishing to gold mining. Rafter J Bar Ranch is a favorite campground for many. Rafter J Bar Ranch - Home

I'm not suggesting that you choose the Black Hills over Yellowstone as your vacation destination, as many do, but that if you have time you might want to figure at least a couple days in the area. It has MUCH more to offer than simply Mount Rushmore. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this year is August 9-15, and that really packs the Hills with visitors, so I wouldn't plan my visit that week nor for a couple days on either end of it. Campgrounds and hotel rooms will be full and expensive then, so unless you're a big motorcycle fan, plan your trip to the Hills on the early end of your vacation schedule.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 06-02-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this year is August 9-15, and that really packs the Hills with visitors, so I wouldn't plan my visit that week nor for a couple days on either end of it. Campgrounds and hotel rooms will be full and expensive then, so unless you're a big motorcycle fan, plan your trip to the Hills on the early end of your vacation schedule.
It's funny you mention this because almost every year of the past five or six, I've ended up on vacation around the same time as the Sturgis rally. In my travels, I've met a lot of great folks on bikes from all over the west, including a state representative from Arizona and a guy from western Canada who was on his way home from riding in Mexico, by way of Sturgis. I don't ride a bike, but enjoy talking with those that do. I actually have found that part of my trips to be quite enjoyable.

Maybe I've been lucky, but even when I've traveled during the week prior to, or the week of, the Sturgis rally, I've been successful in finding places to stay, both hotels/motels and campsites. Of those, most have been decent, but a couple left a bit to be desired. It was one of these very basic places (yeah - it was a dive) where I met the representative from Arizona, who had the room next to mine.

Overall, though, I agree with your assessment. It can be difficult and/or costly to find appropriate lodging during Sturgis week, especially if you're anywhere near the Black Hills.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
DavidMD2 - I just found your thread and it has been very helpful...

We are in the same boat as we are planning a last minute family trip to Yellowstone for the last week of July. We will be driving from Chicago to Yellowstone with kids (8,10) and will also overnight near Mt. Rushmore. We have never traveled to this area before.

Of course, all the lodging in the Yellowstone park is now booked. And I don't think the RV rental thing is for us. I'm now looking at either staying in Gardiner (at the north entrance) OR tent camping. I picked Gardiner because it seems like it is a little less commercial than the other park border towns (e.g. West Yellowstone).

We're an adventurous/outdoorsy family, so I think the tent camping would be a great experience. I just keep worrying about grizzly bears! I heard the campgrounds in the Northeast area of the park get some grizzly activity. Yikes!

We plan on doing lots of hiking, biking, kayaking, white water rafting, and horsebacking riding.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions for our trip. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
DavidMD2 - I just found your thread and it has been very helpful...

We're an adventurous/outdoorsy family, so I think the tent camping would be a great experience. I just keep worrying about grizzly bears! I heard the campgrounds in the Northeast area of the park get some grizzly activity. Yikes!

We plan on doing lots of hiking, biking, kayaking, white water rafting, and horsebacking riding.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions for our trip. Thanks!
There are certain area's, in Yellowstone and the surrounding area, that get bear activity and the park will NOT allow tent camping or any trailer that is soft sided.

Having said that, it's always good to assume that bear activity can happen anywhere.

At most places up in that area you can pick up brochures or pamphlets on bears and the do's and don'ts. But the best advice I can give you is to talk to the park rangers or the Fish and Game before going to any area and specially if you are going to go hiking. They do a wonderful job of tracking the bears and knowing which ones are aggresive and where they roam.

Read the brochures and know what to do. Also a good idea to pick up a can of bear spray. Wise investment. My problem is, the can says good to 15 ft. Excuse me?????? 15 ft is way to close for this kid. lol

You won't find any bears in the Black Hills so anyplace is decent to camp with a tent.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:34 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There are certain area's, in Yellowstone and the surrounding area, that get bear activity and the park will NOT allow tent camping or any trailer that is soft sided.

Having said that, it's always good to assume that bear activity can happen anywhere.

At most places up in that area you can pick up brochures or pamphlets on bears and the do's and don'ts. But the best advice I can give you is to talk to the park rangers or the Fish and Game before going to any area and specially if you are going to go hiking. They do a wonderful job of tracking the bears and knowing which ones are aggresive and where they roam.

Read the brochures and know what to do. Also a good idea to pick up a can of bear spray. Wise investment. My problem is, the can says good to 15 ft. Excuse me?????? 15 ft is way to close for this kid. lol

You won't find any bears in the Black Hills so anyplace is decent to camp with a tent.
Thanks for the advice... I have been having nightmares about grizzly bears all week so I chickened out and booked a cottage at The Riverside in Gardiner.. I just don't think I'd get a good night's sleep in a tent in Yellowstone. Every time I'd hear the rustling leaves outside, I'd think it was a bear coming to get my kids! I've actually spent a lot of time in black bear country in Canada but they don't freak me out like the grizzly. We have a bear bell when we hike in Canada and I feel safe.

We do plan on camping somewhere in South Dakota. I also just booked some rafting and horseback trips at Yellowstone. We'll probably also spend a day in Cody. Should be a great trip...

Good advice about the bear spray... Where can I get that? Probably hard to find in Chicago.. LOL... (Please no jokes about the Chicago Bears!)

Does anyone know if it's worth it to haul our mountain bikes to Yellowstone? I don't see many trails on the maps except maybe around Old Faithful. Is it safe to bike on the park roads? Can my 8 year old handle the hills? Or maybe we should just rent bikes when we get there.

I am a total novice about Wyoming! This is one of the few areas in the U.S. I have never traveled to. Can't wait to see your state!

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-05-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 05:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
You'll see bicyclists on Yellowstone's roads, but I wouldn't recommend it. Traffic is heavy and mixed with trucks, cars, buses, motorhomes and camp trailers, and the drivers of many of those vehicles are looking at/for wildlife as they drive. Then you'll also have the bison that take over the roads, and sometimes elk can get nasty. I feel safe driving in my car next to one of those, but I wouldn't want to ride my bike through a herd of them.

There are trails and backroads where you could safely ride them in Yellowstone, but I wouldn't do it on the main paved highways.

There's miles and miles of National Forest outside Yellowstone and across Wyoming. Some of that has a few grizzlies, but most doesn't. We enjoy camping in the Bighorn Mountains, Devils Tower and the Black Hills. No grizzlies in any of those places, great scenery, and they're not as crowded as Yellowstone.

Grizzlies aren't out to eat people. I've been around them quite a bit in Alaska. I've met them on hiking trails, stepped off the path and talked to them as they made their way past me. I never bothered them, and they never bothered me. That said, there's more bear/people interactions in the "lower 48", and that can create problems. When bears expect to find food where there's people, they'll go looking for that food.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Excellent post WyoNewk, and you brought up a good point.

When camping in a tent, no matter if you are in bear country or not, you put your food in a cooler and hang it in a tree. About 15 ft up, between two trees is preferable. Even if there are no bears, you still have squirrels, raccoons, mountain lions, etc that smell that food and want at it. I've always strung my food about 50-75 yards from where I set up a tent. That way, even if you have a hungry critter wanting food, they away from camp.

You can find bear spray where you are, just go to the Stadium..... Whoops, that slipped.

Around here, bear spray can be found at any sporting goods store, even some Wal-Marts carry it. It's kind of like Wine. There's cheap and theres expensive. Although I've never encountered a bear that I needed to use it, I've always opted for the good stuff.

Another thing about bear spray. Works really good on intruders of the human kind in ones home. If you don't like firearms, that's fine, but buy a couple cans to keep around your home. It will absolutely take the breath away from a human.

Do not opt for pepper spray. I used to buy pepper spray to take to the office and keep in my desk. Used to use it to spritz up a salad. I actually like the taste. Course, never had it in my eyes. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming