Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,867 times

Advertisements

I just heard that Fort Mill might have a lot of land available for use soon. They stated, that this will double the size of Fort Mill.
Can anyone tell me what and where this could happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
I just heard that Fort Mill might have a lot of land available for use soon. They stated, that this will double the size of Fort Mill.
Can anyone tell me what and where this could happen?
Go to FortMillTimes.com It's the lead story and has a map included.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 86,709 times
What will this do to the schools? Do they have enough space for kids now and will they have enough to increase for new homes??

Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc126 View Post
What will this do to the schools? Do they have enough space for kids now and will they have enough to increase for new homes??
The land in question is already within Fort Mill Township (unincorporated part of York County, SC). What is being considered now is annexing the land into the Town of Fort Mill. The growth was/is bound to come whether the land is located in the Township or the Town of Fort Mill.

Fort Mill Times — -Fort Mill's big annexation Supersizing Fort Mill's area means growing the town's staff (broken link)

Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM

151 posts, read 570,947 times
Quote:
You pose several good questions. I keep asking myself with all of the major home builders having a terrible 2nd quarter, and all but a few losing money at this late stage in the downturn from the housing boom, why is there so much construction going on in the area?

I can only surmise that folks are moving here for the exact same reasons that we moved here. We sold in an over-priced market and bought into a correctly priced housing market, with all of the benefits/charm of a small Southern town. I hope that the city planners don't allow too much building to take place; where tracts of homes remain vacant for months on end. I also hope they plan out their schools to meet the needs, but I’m not sure they expected as much growth as they received, given schools being closed to new students.

I'll let you in on a little secret. On the 4th of July, we walked a short block or two from our home to the main street coming into Tega Cay first thing in the morning. We sat along the center median, and watched a good old fashioned parade with patriots all up and down the street. It reminded me of the small town parade I enjoyed as a child in San Juan Capistrano, which is to say you recognize many of the participants both watching and riding. A child sat on a red ant hill and got stung a couple times, children had ice pops, and squirt guns which were being fired back and forth. In my day, we had pea shooters and aimed for the horses (good thing things have changed). It wasn’t a big or sophisticated parade, but it was a perfect parade.

I next took my son, just he and I, to the Windjammer Park for the jousting canoe competition. There they had small kiosks set up with the usual wares, food, pop, candy and so on. My son saw the snake man who explained in detail all about the local reptiles, and also the folks with the owls and hawk. He had an ice cream from the local ice cream merchant. This was all topped off by folks who put on a fun water-ski show.

We got home late that afternoon, and at dusk set off our $100 bucks worth of fireworks (plenty left for next time). We sat on the front porch swing, and rocked back and forth for an hour. Soon the city sponsored fireworks were fired, and we enjoyed them from our front porch as well as the rather large display being put on by someone else within the community. We got the kids tucked in safely at about 10:00PM, and called it an end to a perfect day.

Life in this small town is everything I remembered it was when I grew up in a sleepy cowboy town in Southern California, and so far, it has been everything I had hoped it would be and so much more, when I finally made the decision to escape. This is country living, and it is good.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
A lot of land is being annexed prinarily for business purposes. Fort Mill schools are already gron at an exponential rate and while currently good, the schools will decline in quality in 5 years imo due to the influx.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
A lot of land is being annexed prinarily for business purposes. Fort Mill schools are already gron at an exponential rate and while currently good, the schools will decline in quality in 5 years imo due to the influx.
This is not Char-Meck where you reside, it is York County. I doubt the schools will decline in quality in the five years like you stated. Good Luck in Char-Meck and try to think positive for once....

Oh, and if the land is going to be used for business and not residential, it will be good thing for the school system. As bright as you are, I thought you would have known that.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
I agree that the schools will NOT decline in five years - or ten years, or twenty years. York County (and Fort Mill specifically) is committed to quality education for its students. There's a reason they hire mainly teachers with Master's degrees. There's a reason they pay their teachers a higher than average salary. It's because they want to ensure that the students get motivated, talented teachers who honestly want to TEACH rather than babysit from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.

And the town IS planning for growth, with more schools planned to compensate for the influx of residents. If anything, in five years I think the addition of new schools and more students will make Fort Mill be even MORE recognized for quality education.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosox05 View Post
This is not Char-Meck where you reside, it is York County. I doubt the schools will decline in quality in the five years like you stated. Good Luck in Char-Meck and try to think positive for once....

Oh, and if the land is going to be used for business and not residential, it will be good thing for the school system. As bright as you are, I thought you would have known that.
Who said I reside in Charlotte? I live in Fort Mill. Wityh growth comes problems, anywhere, especially when you are dealing with things operated by governments.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 AM

57 posts, read 238,176 times
groove1 you are always so negative.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties