Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 PM

474 posts, read 1,742,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.d View Post
Thanks all,
I have been leaning toward Fort Mill because it seems to be more consistent where as Rock Hill seems hit or miss. I've been going through the tedious process of finding a home, finding the subdivision and then looking at all the other homes in that subdivision to get a sense of the area. Anyone want to save me some pain and shoot me your 5 favorite subdivisions that have houses in the 250k price point? You've all been great, thanks for the responses!
JD
Joed:
Check out Walden Park in Fort Mill. We moved into a new home in early May. Prices run from $230 - $330. It's off exit 85. All the homes have fiber cement siding - not vinyl. There's a few specs left in phase I, and they're on the verge of releasing lots for phase II. There's a wide range of residents, from single couples to families with young kids to retirees. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,176,512 times
Well, you already have alot of great suggestions to get you started.

I think Fort Mill is a really good choice for what you describe (course being in Fort Mill vs. Rock Hill will make your wife's commute to Columbia a little longer though).

Just a few of the things that make Fort Mill so attractive are..the excellent schools (granted you may not have need for them...but it will help when it comes time for resell), still considered rural...yet in close proximity to the Charlotte area, and we have many opportunities for outdoor activities (including Lake Wylie and the Anne Springs Close Greenway).

Also if you are looking for homes that are just a tad older...you will find that they (more often than not) will come with more land (which is becoming quite valuable in this area...when you can find it).

for example:
-Saddlegate/Saddle gate
-Olde Williamsburg
-Foxwood
-Carrowood (can't remember if this one has 1 R or 2?...it is off of Gold Hill Rd.-right behind the Waterstone development)

(there's also a few off Sutton Rd and Dobys Bridge Rd..but I can't remember the names right now).

Another place I didn't see mentioned (although...in your price range your options may be a little limited) is Baxter Village

...I also agree that you might want to check out Tega Cay. If you want new there is Meadowview and Calloway (as mentioned above) and it is doing very well.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 24,513 times
Default Thanks again

These responses have saved me a ton of time. My wife and I are headed out next weekend to look at everything we can in the areas you all recommended!
JD

Old 07-01-2007, 02:52 AM

7,958 posts, read 10,519,216 times
My mother still lives in Fort Mill, S.C. and told me that the old Heritage USA Jim and Tammy Faye Baker complex has been bought by a developer and is about to be turned into condos and retail/office space just like every other square inch of the Fort Mill/Union County area. Enjoy those wide open "country spaces"!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 24,513 times
Default Waterstone

Thanks again for all your help all! My wife and I are headed down next weekend to look around. Anyone have an opinion of waterstone? JD

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM

251 posts, read 1,123,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
My mother still lives in Fort Mill, S.C. and told me that the old Heritage USA Jim and Tammy Faye Baker complex has been bought by a developer and is about to be turned into condos and retail/office space just like every other square inch of the Fort Mill/Union County area. Enjoy those wide open "country spaces"!!!
No, the core of the old Heritage USA/Jim and Tammy Faye complex was purchased several years ago by a fundamentalist church which has high hopes of restoring the area, but apparently they don't have the funds to do much. The original complex continues to be an eyesore. The 22 floor hotel tower, complete with falling bricks, can be seen from throughout Regent Park--the rest of the former Heritage USA is well hidden from the rest of Regent Park. Several of the condo projects from the Jim and Tammy Faye era are now in rather poor shape, and there is a lot of controversy about who is responsible for road maintainance in Regent Park.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,515 times
My Husband and I were actually in the Ft Mill area last week (July 4) looking at neighborhoods. This is what we came up with. The only thing we liked east of I-77 was White Grove. The only thing we didn't like about White Grove is that we would have to drive down Doby's Bridge Road and some parts can be a bit of an eye sore. Everything else is West of 77. All of the new developements going up have absolutely NO trees with the exceptions of what the builders put up. Spicewood offers big homes, but they all look the same and are glorified shoe boxes. Knightsbridge may be right up your alley if you are okay with the homes being close together (not too close, but not real far either). Knightsbridge is about 1/2 to 1 mile off of exit 88 (
Gold Hill Road) It is a nice family neighborhood, lots of hills and trees. My husband has sever family members that live there and they love it! I want to say that DAvid Weekly is the builder of that neighborhood. Their homes are always high quality. The other neighborhoods that we like, but are above the $250 mark that you like, are Quail Ridge and Tara Plantation. Regent Park was an absolute NO for us. The old Jim Baker place, Heritage Plantation, stands high above the trees and is falling apart. (There is a building about 15-20 stories tall that used to be a hotel but is now something you would see on a horror show).

All in all, if you want to sell your house within 3-5 years, stick to an established neighborhood. There is so much new developement going on down there that if you buy in one of those neighborhoods it may not be finished when you are ready to move and you wouldn't show any appreciation when you sell.

Stay to the west of i-77. Gold Hill Road and the Tega Kay area are the best (exit 88 off of 77). Around the Baxter Village off of he next exit down is also a very nice area.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,515 times
Default Water Stone

Waterstone has a nice neighborhood in the back called Lake View. But all of the condos and town homes make me worried about what 'the neighbors might drag in.' So much of it is the same that resale might be hard. If you choose Lakeview, I would worry about all you have to pass on the way in.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 22,306 times
We loved Regent Park. It is on the country side of Fort Mill but close enough to all the activity and shopping. A nice new shopping plaza is going in near the "Baker" castles that are remaining on the property. It does look a little weird but kind of unique to the history of Regent Park and might be an interesting tourist attraction if it is promoted correctly. Schools are great and prices are do-able right now. They are on the rise all over that area. Love that property equity!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,176,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.d View Post
Thanks again for all your help all! My wife and I are headed down next weekend to look around. Anyone have an opinion of waterstone? JD
...you know it's really just going to boil down to what feels right to you and your wife once you get down here and have a look around. For a point of reference there happen to be two entrances into Waterstone...one being off of Gold Hill Rd, while the other is off of Hwy160. I'd also give the residents of Waterstone some kudos as they've started an organization called Green Waterstone (an enviromental group within the neighborhood).

Good Luck with your search and hope your head is spinning to much by the end of your weekend of house hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties