U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 35,081 times

Advertisements

Would really like your opinions on moving into a planned community such as Baxter Village, versus a typical subdivision, such as Anchorage, in Tega Cay. We will be moving from the midwest to the Fort Mill, SC area sometime in the fall. We have 3 girls--twins entering 9th grade and another daughter entering 7th grade. Currently, we have a relatively large home (4600 sq ft) on 3 acres. Originally, when I started looking at subdivisions in the Fort Mill area, I focused on areas which offered comparable size homes and lots sized at least 1/2 acre (such as Anchorage).

I stumbled across Baxter Village and fell in love with the concept. However, the prices of the larger homes seem high ($550K) for the square footage and lot size.

I guess I would like to know the advantages of living in Baxter compared to a typical subdivision. I know everyone says that the community in Baxter is so friendly. This sounds very appealing to us--our kids have never lived in a subdivision, and they are looking to make new friends right away.

Here are some of my questions:
1. Are there a lot of teenagers in Baxter, or mainly elementary school-aged kids?
2. Does it get annoying having your neighbors so close to you?

I can't imagine living on such a small plot of land, however, I am relishing the idea of not having to do much yard work.

Are other subdivisions as friendly and welcoming as Baxter? Can anyone recommend some subdivisions to look at? Our price range can go up to $650K, but of course, would love to buy something for less if possible
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 PM

117 posts, read 430,696 times
I don't live there but I would imagine it would be pretty easy for your kids to make friends in Baxter. I belong to the YMCA there and always see kids of all age groups. I also think it's probably pretty easy in any subdivision though. I live in River Hills Plantation and love it...you might want to see what you can get here in that price range. When I was looking I narrowed it down to Tega Cay and River Hills because I wanted to be by the lake and have a bigger lot. It may be a tough transition for you going from 3 acres to less than half. Although I can see the appeal of the Baxter concept...it's not for me.

River Hills Community Association - RiverHillsPlantation.com
this one is nice
CarolinaHome.com: Listing Report for MLS 656416
and this one has a pool
CarolinaHome.com: Listing Report for MLS 681426

Last edited by erinavery; 07-03-2007 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: to add link

Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 13,712,256 times
The appeal of Baxter is that you have things that are within walking distance, like shops and restaurants. So that will cut down on your driving a bit, and with gas prices being as high as they are, that's a plus.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 PM

117 posts, read 430,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The appeal of Baxter is that you have things that are within walking distance, like shops and restaurants. So that will cut down on your driving a bit, and with gas prices being as high as they are, that's a plus.
Yeah...I do think the concept is pretty cool. How great to be able to walk to dinner with your family and I do think it would be great for someone who wants to socialize with their neighbors. I personaly prefer a more established neighborhood that's why it's not for me but I would have no problem living in Battery Park in Charleston and it's the same deal.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,712,256 times
I prefer more established neighborhoods myself, but developments like Baxter Village is about as good as it gets for the suburbs.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM

80 posts, read 332,398 times
We are moving to Baxter Village at the end of July from the Midwest, and yes, we are paying more for our house and getting less square footage, primarily because of the lack of a finished basement. That was true in both Tega Cay and Baxter Village. We are in the newer section, our backyard is larger than normal for Baxter and it is treed and private. And, we have the great front porch! There is a house for sale in Baxter now for 500K with a finished basement, over 4,000 SF total. You might want to check that out! We also do have a 9th grade daughter and I heard there were twin girls that age on our street but we haven't met them yet.

I think that in order to know what works best for you, you have to see the areas for yourself. When my husband and I were house hunting, the second we drove into Baxter we knew it was for us. Walking trails, restaurants etc. in walking distance, lots of people out and about, t-ball in the pocket park. Just adorable. But Tega Cay was our #2 location and also VERY nice, with walking trails, pool, tennis, etc. You can't go wrong with either! One thing: we thought at first we wanted to be in the Town Center area. Baxter Village is open to the public, and is not a private gated community. If you are thinking of living near the town center, which is quite charming, I would spend some time there on a summer evening such as a Friday night to be sure that is where you want to be.

Good Luck! We are really looking forward to our move, even the kids.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,793,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake&Riley View Post
Would really like your opinions on moving into a planned community such as Baxter Village, versus a typical subdivision, such as Anchorage, in Tega Cay. We will be moving from the midwest to the Fort Mill, SC area sometime in the fall. We have 3 girls--twins entering 9th grade and another daughter entering 7th grade. Currently, we have a relatively large home (4600 sq ft) on 3 acres. Originally, when I started looking at subdivisions in the Fort Mill area, I focused on areas which offered comparable size homes and lots sized at least 1/2 acre (such as Anchorage).

I stumbled across Baxter Village and fell in love with the concept. However, the prices of the larger homes seem high ($550K) for the square footage and lot size.

I guess I would like to know the advantages of living in Baxter compared to a typical subdivision. I know everyone says that the community in Baxter is so friendly. This sounds very appealing to us--our kids have never lived in a subdivision, and they are looking to make new friends right away.

Here are some of my questions:
1. Are there a lot of teenagers in Baxter, or mainly elementary school-aged kids?
2. Does it get annoying having your neighbors so close to you?

I can't imagine living on such a small plot of land, however, I am relishing the idea of not having to do much yard work.

Are other subdivisions as friendly and welcoming as Baxter? Can anyone recommend some subdivisions to look at? Our price range can go up to $650K, but of course, would love to buy something for less if possible
Once you come down and take a look...It really is going to boil down to what appeals to you. I know when we first came here (after many, many hours of internet searching) we just knew that we were going to get a home with at least an acre of land. Yet as soon as we were introduced to Tega Cay...all that was thrown out the window and this is where we have called home for 3 1/2 years now (and we still love it)! The same holds true for Baxter Village...it has alot of great things...but one just never knows until you actually come take a look.

I will also add..that Anchorage within Tega Cay....is NOT your typical subdivision. In fact it is an area within Tega Cay that has nothing but (very nice) high end custom homes (no mass development here)...many of them are lakefront too. Tega Cay is a city so we have no HOA's (other than some of the new townhomes that have recently been built).

Lastly...you will be amazed at how many children are here...not only in Tega Cay, Baxter, or anywhere in Fort Mill. What's great is your kids will have friends from Tega Cay, to one side of Fort Mill to the otherside (between the schools, extra curricular activities, church...you name it).

Best of luck with your search and hope you are able to come visit the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area soon!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 35,081 times
Thanks very much for everyone's kind replies. You have given us a lot of information and we appreciate it! I agree that it will all come down to the visit--everything looks good on the internet, but you need to get a feel for a place before making a decision. I can't wait until we get down there to start house hunting!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 AM

4,126 posts, read 5,655,352 times
I liked Baxter "on paper" before we moved here, but when we made our first visit here I knew it wasn't for us. In NoNJ we lived on a small lot (.16 acre) thisclose to our neighbors, and while we loved our neighbors tremendously, we just wanted a bit more space in the new SC digs. When we visited Baxter we realized that we'd end up paying a lot more for less than we had in NoNJ - and that was not our objective at all. We were hoping to SAVE money by moving here - not pay more for less. So while we like the feel of Baxter, it just wasn't for us.

I then plugged into Knightsbridge as the subdivision I wanted to be in. We now have a bigger house on .25 acre in a great neighborhood with awesome neighbors AND the extra bit of privacy that we hoped to achieve.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,401,184 times
I live in Baxter, near the town center. I love it here but I knew I wanted a small lot so that was not an issue with me. It takes me less than half an hour to mow and weedeat. I have a very small lot but there are some much larger lots as well. No 3 acre ones but I have seen some that are at least 1/2 acre. Some even have pools. There are also loads of teenage children.

I agree though that you really need to come see for yourself. I love it here but it is not for everyone. The houses are a bit more expensive than other areas but they have also appreciated more than other areas too. Come spend some time in the town center, check out all the homes for sale, walk the trails, etc. See where you want to live because not all the homes are within a feasible walking distance to town center. Try to come when they are having music in the park. It is always alot of fun.

I personally have not gotten sick of my neighbors but I also am not the type that has to have my makeup and hair perfect before getting the mail. I'll sometimes sit on my back deck still in my pjs! Fortunately we have a good group here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>