Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM

126 posts, read 289,187 times

Advertisements

The water company came out last week and said we have a leak and when "WE" fix it send them something saying it was fixed and they will adjust the bill.
WHAT??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaskies View Post
The water company came out last week and said we have a leak and when "WE" fix it send them something saying it was fixed and they will adjust the bill.
WHAT??????
My father repaired a leak on his side of the meter twice. It seems the "black pipe" used years ago was springing leaks all over Fort Mill and Tega Cay. The neighbors replaced their entire line from the meter to the house. We used the same plumber and he highly suggested we do the same (why? $600 repair instead of $175?).
We chose the repiair sine their was an argument over who would pay for it. Me, or the estate of my father, meaning my sister would pay half. The estate paid for the repair and I gambled that what the plumber told me would not happen in the next 1+ years. He said, he could accurately prove we would have another leak.

Yours may not be the black pipe, some other leak reason. If it is on your side of the mere it is your repair. We had Utilities Inc. and they came out very quick when called and said they turned the water to the meter off, but the needle kept moving so a leak on our side.

I watched the repair and kept the piece that leaked. I had to look with a magnifying glass to come close to seeing the place where the leak was in the heavy plastic pipe. I did see the water gurlgling out of the ground so that pipe leak nut it was a very small break in the pipe, pin hole like.

If you want the name of the plumber let me know.

Our leak was sending water to the surface and the water was flowing over into the neighbors driveway. This is how we knew there was a leak.

We were only losing maybe 1 gallon an hour.

YOU appear to have a much larger leak and if it is under ground and you are not seeing water on the ground, your leak could be causing erosion under the ground or a large empty space and your yard could sink in, or worse, your house could sink.

Be sure to get a plumber that does not mind you watching them locate the leak. The plumber we had tried very hard to do the work while I was not there. I insisted on meeting him there, because the same exact leak, was repaired two other times, not the same exact place in the pipe but the same type leak,. I wanted to see why this pipe kept developing leaks at $175 each. He said you can give me the $600 now for a new pipe or give me $175 each time I come out.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My father repaired a leak on his side of the meter twice. It seems the "black pipe" used years ago was springing leaks all over Fort Mill and Tega Cay. The neighbors replaced their entire line from the meter to the house. We used the same plumber and he highly suggested we do the same (why? $600 repair instead of $175?).
We chose the repiair sine their was an argument over who would pay for it. Me, or the estate of my father, meaning my sister would pay half. The estate paid for the repair and I gambled that what the plumber told me would not happen in the next 1+ years. He said, he could accurately prove we would have another leak.

Yours may not be the black pipe, some other leak reason. If it is on your side of the mere it is your repair. We had Utilities Inc. and they came out very quick when called and said they turned the water to the meter off, but the needle kept moving so a leak on our side.

I watched the repair and kept the piece that leaked. I had to look with a magnifying glass to come close to seeing the place where the leak was in the heavy plastic pipe. I did see the water gurlgling out of the ground so that pipe leak nut it was a very small break in the pipe, pin hole like.

If you want the name of the plumber let me know.

Our leak was sending water to the surface and the water was flowing over into the neighbors driveway. This is how we knew there was a leak.

We were only losing maybe 1 gallon an hour.

YOU appear to have a much larger leak and if it is under ground and you are not seeing water on the ground, your leak could be causing erosion under the ground or a large empty space and your yard could sink in, or worse, your house could sink.

Be sure to get a plumber that does not mind you watching them locate the leak. The plumber we had tried very hard to do the work while I was not there. I insisted on meeting him there, because the same exact leak, was repaired two other times, not the same exact place in the pipe but the same type leak,. I wanted to see why this pipe kept developing leaks at $175 each. He said you can give me the $600 now for a new pipe or give me $175 each time I come out.

Howard555 yes I would really appreciate the phone number to your plumber...thank you!!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaskies View Post
WHAT??????
Alas you will be responsible for the pipe after the meter.

Once you have it fixed and the plumber confirms that there was a leak they are usually nice enough to reduce the bill.

Your house pipes etc, technically used the water so they do not have to reduce the bill if they did not want to and will nowadays only do so when a certified plumber confirms that they have fixed a leak.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 AM

unbelievable....should have stayed in charlotte where our water bill ran 25-30 dollars. Just paid the 350 bill and man did it hurt. plumber coming out next week to check..Thanks again Howard555

Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
keeping my fingers crossed for an easy fix and cheap plumber bill.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 12,853 times
Cool York County may be behind this...

Okay, this may be eye-opening to many...it certainly was for us!

When we purchased our home, we were instructed to register on the county rolls. We had forgotten to do this. Our bills were incredibly high ($300/month with no irrigation).

We had people come out to check over our water system but no leaks were found.

When we pursued this with York County, we were informed that we had neglected to submit the necessary paperwork that was requested when we bought our home. (A second notice was never sent to us on this.)

Once we filled out and filed the paperwork, our monthly water rate dropped to around $75!

It's a sneaky practice...you wouldn't be notified if you didn't complete the registration so the county would collect about 400% of an average water bill from you each month! They'd keep quiet as long as possible...no benefit to them to notify you!

Worth checking into!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhaley View Post
Okay, this may be eye-opening to many...it certainly was for us!

When we purchased our home, we were instructed to register on the county rolls. We had forgotten to do this. Our bills were incredibly high ($300/month with no irrigation).

We had people come out to check over our water system but no leaks were found.

When we pursued this with York County, we were informed that we had neglected to submit the necessary paperwork that was requested when we bought our home. (A second notice was never sent to us on this.)

Once we filled out and filed the paperwork, our monthly water rate dropped to around $75!

It's a sneaky practice...you wouldn't be notified if you didn't complete the registration so the county would collect about 400% of an average water bill from you each month! They'd keep quiet as long as possible...no benefit to them to notify you!

Worth checking into!

Are you serious, OMG. We are still paying over 100 no irrigation on obviously and I stop using the dishwasher and cut the laundry. Is it too late for us to register? We bought the home from a builder 5 years ago.
thanks for the eye opener.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhaley View Post

What paperwork? Is it online?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
What paperwork? Is it online?
I looked twice and didn't see anything. My husband is calling York this morning about it. We have a small leak outdoors from the meter but why are we responsible for it just because its on our property? The water company said because it was the builders fault. I had to pay money to a plumber to come out here to tell me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties