U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM

268 posts, read 1,075,380 times

Advertisements

Now that I have a definate date of moving, I want to be prepared.
I have the names of the electric and water Co, but I need info on companies that provide cable and DSL. I have seen Comporium trucks driving around on my visits there. Is that a good company?

Also,
What are the steps/approximate costs on getting tags, registration, inspection and (I have read) property taxes for our auto's?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 18,696,652 times
Comporium is the cable company that services the York County portion of Fort Mill. They also provide landline service and cable-based high speed internet. I am going to their office tomorrow. I will attach at the bottom of this email a portion of the email they sent me. They are ok; at least they are local.

Tag for car is $25, registration is $14, SC driver's license is $25 for 10 years. You can call the York County auditor and they will give you a ballpark price on the tax for you car(s). If you live outside of city limits, it will be cheaper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED WHEN YOU GO TO THE DMV (check the SC DMV web site).

If you're buying a home these are the steps:

Go to York County tax auditor. get the tax bill for your car(s) and ask for the owner-occupied residence tax form. Make sure to tell them if your car has over 100k miles because the tax is less. Go across the hall and write them a check for the car tax. Go next door to the DMV, tell them what you need to do, take a number and wait for a long time (they haver seats in there). You will need birth cert. and ss card, plus some type of proof of residence, along with your title or lienholder phone number and adress as well as proof of insurance(it's verified electronically). When called go take the vision test (no written test) and get your tags. Then go get your pic taken and get your license. Go back next door and show them your license and aforementioned proof of residence (insurance paperwork, utility bill, closing documents, etc) along with your license. I did all of this like two weeks ago.

Also, if you live outside city limits, you will have to pay for garbage pickup or use the convenience center if one is close to you. There is one close to me so I plan on using it.

From Comporium (btw I am on the slowest high speed that they have and it's fine):

If you are purchasing a home, no deposit or payment will be required up front.

If you are renting, a security deposit will be required for telephone service. The deposit amount will be equal to twice your monthly service rate. The connection charge and first month service would also need to be paid in advance. We do not require a deposit for cable and internet accounts. However, the connection charge and first month service would need to be paid in advance.

The connection charge for telephone service is $39.00. The cost of a basic line is approximately $22.00 per month. Our calling features and long distance plans can be viewed on our website, Comporium.com. Charges for these would be added to the basic rate.

The connection charge for cable television is $35.00 which covers activation on 3 outlets. Activation for additional outlets would be $5.00 each. The monthly rate for basic service is $9.00 in the city limits, $10.95 in York County, and $13.95 in Lancaster County. This includes 20 local channels. Basic plus is an additional $30.55 per month. It will give you a total of 60 channels. Our channel lineup can be viewed on our website.

Comporium offers dial up and high speed internet services. Dial up is $19.50 per month for unlimited hours and $9.95 per month for 20 hours. Any overage on the 20 hour plan would be billed at $1.25 an hour. We offer 3 speeds on the high speed service. Our current promotion is free installation ($49.95 value) and first month free.
Package #1: 5 Mbps x 512 Kbps
Package #2: 7 Mbps x 768 Kbps
Package #3: 9 Mbps x 1 Mbps

Services can be established in person at one of our business office locations or over the telephone by calling our customer service line at 803-548-9011 or toll free at
1-800-659-1447. Our Tom Hall location in Fort Mill is open Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm, and the W Hwy 160 location is open Mon - Fri 9am - 6pm and on Saturdays from 9am - 1pm. We are usually about a week out on installation appointments, and you may schedule as far in advance as you would like.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM

268 posts, read 1,075,380 times
Default Wow!!

Thanks for all the information.!!!

You really helped alot!!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:02 PM

One more thing, I'm assuming you have had your name changed due to marriage. You will need to bring proof of that as well, but I don't what is acceptable.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM

104 posts, read 442,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
One more thing, I'm assuming you have had your name changed due to marriage. You will need to bring proof of that as well, but I don't what is acceptable.
You will need a certified copy of your marriage certificate -- the one with the official seal/stamp on it. They won't accept a xerox copy.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM

80 posts, read 333,741 times
What if I have a birth cert, marriage license, but no ss card? I can't find mine. Is it a must have? I mean, if I can prove I was born here, and married here, why do they need my ss card?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM

They are strict on the ss cards due to terrorism and identity theft. The nearest SS office I know of is in Charlotte where you can get a replacement.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM

251 posts, read 1,088,822 times
There is a SS office in Rock Hill--right across RT. 21 from York Tec---look in th phone book or on line--its in the office park there. It will take about 2 weeks to get a new card--they will issue you a temporary but I don't think DMV will accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties