U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,731,844 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to get a hot dog thats NOT cooked on the grill? Seems like its hard to find a good "mom & pop" type of hot dog joint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM

10,070 posts, read 10,112,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Where is a good place to get a hot dog thats NOT cooked on the grill? Seems like its hard to find a good "mom & pop" type of hot dog joint.

Since you are from elsewhere ... define what you call a Hot Dog? A weenie, a bun, mustard, chili and onions and some add cole slaw and hubby likes Texas Pete on his.

I don't know about the Fort Mill area now ... but in Rock Hill we have Ebenezer Grill ... "World Famous Hot Dogs" ... on Ebenezer Road just off of Herlong.

Ebenezer Grill, Rock Hill, SC - Yahoo! Travel

I like the hot dogs at Sonny's Dutch Mill on Anderson Rd in the strip mall next to the RH School District Admin Bldg. But Sonny is known for his famous cheeseburgers. The original Dutch Mill was on Cherry Rd back in the 1950's and owned and operated by Sonny Kennington, his son Wesley took over the operation in the 1990's. Thus a large number of his clientele is now old folks that use to cruise his dad's establishment.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,731,844 times
Well, I do like chilli on mine, no slaw though. I also like it with just ketchup, mustard, onions and relish. The most important thing is how the hot dog is cooked and how it tastes. I found a place in Chester (atleast I believe I was still in Chester) that is only open 5 hours on saturday that sells hot dogs, and apparently they are legendary.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM

245 posts, read 961,626 times
Ebenezer Grill is yummy!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM

174 posts, read 468,972 times
Try the Varsity in Rock Hill - hot dogs with the locally famous Watkins' chili, supposedly the same recipe since the 1930's. Don't know about the history, but they are good!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Mr. Watkins had a hole in the wall place on Trade St, Watkins Grill, back when Main St was the only place to shop in Rock Hill.

The Varsity has good food period. They have a great breakfast too.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 AM

444 posts, read 1,138,047 times
Since I moved here a few years ago, I have learned it's called a weenie and it needs slaw. I don't get it...

Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Since I moved here a few years ago, I have learned it's called a weenie and it needs slaw. I don't get it...
What don't you get?

I was born and raised here ... but in my travels I learned long ago ... Hot Dogs to someone in York County might not be the same as a Hot Dog in New York .... California ... Arkansas or even the parts of Texas and Louisiana I have traveled. They can add some strange condiments to a weenie and a bun!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM

1,911 posts, read 2,481,137 times
Try Sandwich King near the old Durham Bulls Athletic Park, corner of Geer & Foster St. Closed for awhile, but a guy from Indiana bought & remodeled it, kept decor same as before. Hot dogs are good as always. He also sells brats, something I fell in love with when I visited Chicago. Paschal's grill on Holloway St in Durham has good hot dogs also. The grill at Brookwood Inn, near Duke Hospital North, has great dogs, but pricey. 2 dogs, fries & drink are $9 something, maybe 10 by now. Very high in my book for hot dogs, but great dogs. I get them about once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties