U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

10,103 posts, read 10,335,317 times

Advertisements

In June 2011, we will go back to the polls to vote on "Pennies for Progress."

The 2011 proposal has 26 projects and they "hope" to pave 39 gravel roads.

This is a list of the proposed 26 projects:

http://www.penniesforprogress.net/Li...bid=36&mid=523

All the info on Pennies for Progress can be found on their website:

Pennies For Progress (York County, SC) > Home

In addition to the article in our newspaper today:

YORK COUNTY | Council will consider new package of 'Pennies' road improvements | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

I did notice plans to relieve congestion at Gold Hill Rd and Hwy 160. Someone was complaining about that area recently on this forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,796,704 times
Is this vote happening in June still?

Also.... I moved to Fort Mill last February, but when I got my SC drivers license, I registered to vote. Where can I find out if I am indeed registered? Where will the vote for this be?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM

You can check or confirm your Voter Registration at this website:

SC Voter Info Search (https://webprod.cio.sc.gov/SCSECVoterWeb/voterInformationSearch.do - broken link)

The Home Page for Pennies indicates a June 2011 referendum under the Section; Latest Project Info.

Pennies Home Page

But the Project list indicates the date for voter approval is August 2, 2011.

Pennies For Progress

If your Voter Registration doesn't show up on the SC Voter Info Search you can call our local Registration Board at 803-684-1242. You are probably OK as you can register at the DMV.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,796,704 times
I show up, so im registered. Also, I did see that its now August 2nd.... any reason why it was moved?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I show up, so im registered. Also, I did see that its now August 2nd.... any reason why it was moved?
I thought perhaps you would the DMV is doing a better job now of following through with the county business. They use to make a big mess of everything.

I have no idea why it changed. Our General Assembly is suppose to be re-drawing the new district maps. But I don't think that would have anything to do with Pennies. I do know each time we have had to vote for Pennies it's been an off election period and nothing on the ballot. Thus poor voter turnout.

I have voted for Pennies each time and now have the benefits of Hwy 161, 274 and 49. I know other areas haven't been as fortunate as our part of the county.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 PM

68 posts, read 132,405 times
Why do they spend so much time and money widening roads that nobody uses (SC 5) when traffic in Fort Mill, Tega Cay and Rock Hill is crazy?

I'd also like to see the county do more with the funds than just roads. Some counties have used a small portion of the annual funds for sidewalks, trails, greenways, etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM

595 posts, read 1,536,486 times
I am going to have to vote no.

They "improved" the Adnah Church Rd / US 5 intersection so much that people now go 60mph without slowing down. On top of that, the road is now twice as wide, so crossing Highway 5 is almost suicide.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
I am going to have to vote no.

They "improved" the Adnah Church Rd / US 5 intersection so much that people now go 60mph without slowing down. On top of that, the road is now twice as wide, so crossing Highway 5 is almost suicide.
Did you know they are closing the other end of Adnah Church Road at the stop sign where it intersects with Hwy 161. The guy that owns the vegetable stand on the corner had a fit. He has no parking on Hwy 161 you have to turn on Adnah Church Rd and park behind his place.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJoe View Post
Why do they spend so much time and money widening roads that nobody uses (SC 5) when traffic in Fort Mill, Tega Cay and Rock Hill is crazy?

I'd also like to see the county do more with the funds than just roads. Some counties have used a small portion of the annual funds for sidewalks, trails, greenways, etc.
Pennies for Progress can only be used for road improvements. The York County Council would have to come up with another tax for the projects you mention.

The only thing I disagree with on this 2011 Pennies is the work they plan for Cherry Road at Winthrop University. There is no room there to widen that road. They plan to add bicycle lanes and still maintain the four lanes for traffic.

Sheer suicide, but listed on the report as "Pedestrian Improvement" but I understand Winthrop and the City of RH wants bike lanes. Traffic is terrible at all times of day. They needed to add bicycle lanes on Eden Terrace instead of a busy area like Cherry Rd/Oakland Ave.

The report has University Dr adding bike Lanes and sidewalks. People are going to lose their front yards. That street runs from Eden Terrace to Bird St. I don't understand bike lanes there.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM

68 posts, read 132,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Pennies for Progress can only be used for road improvements. The York County Council would have to come up with another tax for the projects you mention.
The capital projects sales tax can be used for much more than roads, except York County Council only chooses to put road projects on the ballot each time.

While the capital projects sales tax may not be used for alternate modes of transportation, the transportation sales tax (which is authorized by an alternate section of state law) would allow funds to be used for roads and highways, but also greenways, sidewalks, trails, transit, etc.

Below is a list of what is allowed under the capital projects sales tax:

SECTION 4-10-330. Contents of ballot question; purpose for which proceeds of tax to be used.

(a) highways, roads, streets, bridges, and public parking garages and related facilities;

(b) courthouses, administration buildings, civic centers, hospitals, emergency medical facilities, police stations, fire stations, jails, correctional facilities, detention facilities, libraries, coliseums, educational facilities under the direction of an area commission for technical education, or any combination of these projects;

(c) cultural, recreational, or historic facilities, or any combination of these facilities;

(d) water, sewer, or water and sewer projects;

(e) flood control projects and storm water management facilities;

(f) beach access and beach renourishment;

(g) jointly operated projects of the county, a municipality, special purpose district, and school district, or any combination of those entities, for the projects delineated in subitems (a) through (f) of this item;

(h) any combination of the projects described in subitems (a) through (g) of this item;

Below is a list of what is authorized under the transportation sales tax:

SECTION 4-37-30. Sales and use taxes or tolls as revenue for transportation facilities. [SC ST SEC 4-37-30]

(i) highways, roads, streets, bridges, mass transit systems, greenbelts, and other transportation-related projects facilities including, but not limited to, drainage facilities relating to the highways, roads, streets, bridges, and other transportation-related projects;

There are other options to fund alternative modes of transportation; however York County fails to give them any consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>