U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM

95 posts, read 292,658 times

Advertisements

Hello!! an thanks in advance for your help. Myself an family are looking into the these areas to buy a home an have a better life. We currently live in hampton roads are of virginia (chesapeake) long comute,high prices for homes an just to busy for us anymore schools are good though

jobs,schools,homes,an comute are high on our list as with most I am sure
my husband is in the commercial hvac biz(foreman) an I am manager in food service we would like to know how the job market fairs in these fields

My son who will be entering the 6th grade will need a good school to go to I have heard good things about fort mill schools( what about indian land? clover? rock hill?).

our price range for a home would be 200,000. or under min 3 br 2 bath with at least 1/4 but would love a little more land it doesnt have to be perfect we dont mind a little work

as far a comute goes his right now ranges from 20 min to 90 min mine is about 20 to 30 min so anything lower for him would be awsome. how is the comute from these areas?fort mill rock hill clover (to charlotte)

I have looked around about.com citydata.com lots of home site an schools.com type things but there is nothing like first hand info

our move would be closer to oct 07 thru dec 07 any info would be great
Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 07:08 PM

295 posts, read 1,011,828 times
I would suggest that you look at Kbhomes.com. They have a plenty of homes under 200k and the travel time to Charlotte is only 20 min. With the good schools, location to the city, low taxes and plenty of future developement it's a no-brainer.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,761,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms4him View Post
Hello!! an thanks in advance for your help. Myself an family are looking into the these areas to buy a home an have a better life. We currently live in hampton roads are of virginia (chesapeake) long comute,high prices for homes an just to busy for us anymore schools are good though

jobs,schools,homes,an comute are high on our list as with most I am sure
my husband is in the commercial hvac biz(foreman) an I am manager in food service we would like to know how the job market fairs in these fields

My son who will be entering the 6th grade will need a good school to go to I have heard good things about fort mill schools( what about indian land? clover? rock hill?).

our price range for a home would be 200,000. or under min 3 br 2 bath with at least 1/4 but would love a little more land it doesnt have to be perfect we dont mind a little work

as far a comute goes his right now ranges from 20 min to 90 min mine is about 20 to 30 min so anything lower for him would be awsome. how is the comute from these areas?fort mill rock hill clover (to charlotte)

I have looked around about.com citydata.com lots of home site an schools.com type things but there is nothing like first hand info

our move would be closer to oct 07 thru dec 07 any info would be great
Thanks so much
Not sure if you have had a chance to read through any of the past posts on the forum (using the search feature above)...but I would highly recommend it. There's already alot of information on the areas that you have questions about. I don't want to appear rude but when I read your post...it is very overwhelming/daunting on trying to answer all of your questions.

Also...it is hard to tell you what area to look at as far as a commute...since you have no idea where your jobs will be....jobs can be pretty spread out around here (they are not all concentrated in one particular area).

You might also keep in mind...the farther out you are (more rural areas) you will find prices and land are a bit more attainable.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM

78 posts, read 212,102 times
Charms4him; when are you moving. I'm also in hamptonroads bound for the charlotte area. We've visited twice now and narrowed it down to union county, fort mill and rock hill. My move will be in the spring 08.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 13,682 times
Ive lived in Rock Hill for about 5 years now. You cant beat the area for lower costs of living than in NC. Easy commute to Charlotte and many new homes being built here. Minutes from the malls and major shopping areas. Fort Mill is ok but smaller in size than Rock Hill and a little more pricier I think for land or homes. But Rock Hill does offer new homes from $100,000 up to the multi million dollar ranges but still has a lower tax than NC. I've lived in other areas of NC and SC and can really say Rock Hill is a great area. Indian Land and Union county NC are pretty sparse yet and not what I'd call ideal places if schools, shopping and easy commutes are what your looking for. I hope you find what looking for and welcome to wonderful SC.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 PM

95 posts, read 292,658 times
Smile moving date

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjen View Post
Charms4him; when are you moving. I'm also in hamptonroads bound for the charlotte area. We've visited twice now and narrowed it down to union county, fort mill and rock hill. My move will be in the spring 08.
We will be ready for our move in nov. We have narrowed it down to york co. With a few citys outside running will be concord,salisbury, and locust nc.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,560 times
Default Don't move to South Carolina

You can find a reasonable home in the Raleigh Durham Charlotte area. You'll also find more cultural activites and better schools in certain parts of north carolina. I am a native South Carolinian who recently moved back to a small town in the Florence-Myrtle Beach area to live the good life on 200 acres. I've found most of the whites to be culturally ignorant and racist. In addition, most of the law enforcement is corrupt with the "good ole" boy system alive and well. I would not attempt to raise a child in South Carolina. In Charleston and Columbia, things are a bit better, but SC has a long way to go. Most of the whites in the rural areas live in trailer parks and have never been anywhere else except the trailer park. Poverty and ignorance run rampant. Think of the film "Deliverance," and you have the right picture. This is the feeling of a number of whites and blacks. It's still pretty backwards in SC. Most of the blacks here are pretty scared of the whites and try to conform by being nice negroes. They don't want to rock the boat. If you listen to the local news, you would think most of the crime is committed by blacks. The fact of the matter is that the crime in the "white" neighborhoods is covered up. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't move to SC. But don't take my word for it. Come down to SC and ask some folks about it. Take a survey and I'll bet they'll all agree.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 AM

7 posts, read 17,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peephole View Post
You can find a reasonable home in the Raleigh Durham Charlotte area. You'll also find more cultural activites and better schools in certain parts of north carolina. I am a native South Carolinian who recently moved back to a small town in the Florence-Myrtle Beach area to live the good life on 200 acres. I've found most of the whites to be culturally ignorant and racist. In addition, most of the law enforcement is corrupt with the "good ole" boy system alive and well. I would not attempt to raise a child in South Carolina. In Charleston and Columbia, things are a bit better, but SC has a long way to go. Most of the whites in the rural areas live in trailer parks and have never been anywhere else except the trailer park. Poverty and ignorance run rampant. Think of the film "Deliverance," and you have the right picture. This is the feeling of a number of whites and blacks. It's still pretty backwards in SC. Most of the blacks here are pretty scared of the whites and try to conform by being nice negroes. They don't want to rock the boat. If you listen to the local news, you would think most of the crime is committed by blacks. The fact of the matter is that the crime in the "white" neighborhoods is covered up. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't move to SC. But don't take my word for it. Come down to SC and ask some folks about it. Take a survey and I'll bet they'll all agree.
Wow...where do you get your information from? As I know and am related to many people in law enforcement in South Carolina, I would have to argue that most don't come from trailer parks and have the "good ole boy syndrome." Also, I have family in what you would call a rural area. Not a trailer park within 20 miles of it. That's the point. Its rural. There are cows and horses, maybe a few deer. The film Deliverance was not set in South Carolina. It was the mountains if I remember correctly. And I have no idea where you get the idea that most blacks are scared of whites. If anything, you are the person who is racist by making comments like that. Honestly, I wish you wouldn't have moved here either. Close minded people are unnecessary. I also beg to differ about Charleston and Columbia being better. Have you ever lived in these areas? Yes, they are cities, but there is more racism there because of the huge differences in income. There is a huge number of people using government housing. I love Charleston, but I wouldn't say it was better in terms of racism.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,366 times
Have you found a place in Fort Mill yet?
Lynn

Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 88,031 times
Default Looking into the Clover area

My wife and I are moving out of Michigan this summer. Initially, we were all about NC, but I did some research on York County since York 2 is coming to my local teacher job fair (both wife and I are teachers), and the area sounds really intriguing. The schools sound very good!

We will be looking for a home in the 225-250K range, so I'd like to know where to start looking. We have 2 daughters (2.5 + 3.5 yo) so family oriented communities are the ideal.

More importantly, though, can anyone shed light on Clover itself. What's the downtown like? Sense of community? Things to do? I've tried reading the threads and everything's a bit vague.

Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties