Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM

104 posts, read 338,616 times

Advertisements

We live in Maine currently but may be relocating in the next year to the Fort Mill area. I have a son with severe outside allergies and was wondering what outdoor triggers are in SC? Here it is pollen from a variety of trees and dust.
how is the air quality?
Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Air quality in Charlotte is a big issue, so I would advise not moving here. We have ozone days and the area is one of the worst in the country for allergies because we have both tree and grass pollen, as well as everything else. it is so bad in the spring that you can actually see pollen on everything (cars and buildings turn yellow).

Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM

104 posts, read 338,616 times
would you say that is all of NC or just Charlotte area? Thank you for your reply

Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 AM

I would say primarily Charlotte area. The destruction of trees and increase of vehicles in Charlotte has mad the problem much worse. Charlotte was ranked 9th worst city for allergies this year by Forbes:

In Pictures: Top 100 Worst Cities For Spring Allergies - Forbes.com

As much as I love the area, air qulaity is an issue.

We are moderate today because it was cool yesterday:

Air Quality Monitoring Sites GIS

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&KsMom View Post
We live in Maine currently but may be relocating in the next year to the Fort Mill area. I have a son with severe outside allergies and was wondering what outdoor triggers are in SC? Here it is pollen from a variety of trees and dust.
how is the air quality?
Thank you
I currently live in Charlotte and I came from the land of daily ozone alert(Phoenix) although Charlotte is no Phoenix when it comes to filthy air I found myself with an allergy in June that I did not have previously. My husband who has horrible allergies have been prefectly fine, but we have only been there since Feb so I don't know if this helps at all. We are moving to Myrtle now so we'll see how that works out in the allergy dept.

I wish you well in what ever you decide

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,946 times
Have you ever been testing for pine tree allergies? I know that alot of my northern friends have a hard time with that. We also have a high pollen count in the spring months.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM

882 posts, read 3,537,337 times
Pollen from pines is about the worst we have... Something to take into consideration..

Many allergists will tell you that a person may develop allergies at any time and many folks are more prone to developing them in the mid stages of life (late 30's early 40's).

I have become more and more reactive to pollen over the last few years, whereas I have never had any allergies my entire life. I've been around pine trees my entire life, growing up in the Sandhills of NC.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Supposedly, if you consume local honey it helps allergies as your body builds up resistance to local allergens. I have a netti pot and that helps clear me out.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Supposedly, if you consume local honey it helps allergies as your body builds up resistance to local allergens. I have a netti pot and that helps clear me out.
hmmmm very interesting..Thanks Groove!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,337 times
Scratching head and googling 'netti pot'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties