Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,985,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I thought it was just the one across the street from me on 160.... then the other day driving up I-77 North near Sutton Rd, I see another proposed hospital sign. Now theres 3?
I think the sign across from you is for Piedmont Medical Center at the peach farm.

The Sutton Road property is what Jane Spratt McColl donated for the YC Museum (Spratt = John Spratt's sister; McColl = married to Hugh McColl former Chairman of the Board and CEO of Bank America.) She donated the land in 1998 and no museum yet but a huge debt hangs over the land now and it was debt free in 1998.

Now $3.78 million dollars is due in June. There is some powerhouse people on the Culture & Heritage Commission (appointed by the York County Council) and more on the Culture & Heritage Foundation. They want Carolina Healthcare to be awarded the Fort Mill hospital in hopes of selling that land to pay off the debt.

I just do not feel it should fall on the taxpayers shoulders to pay the debt. But due to DHEC's delay once again, they did say they would have an announcement in March. If the museum people got to DHEC, Piedmont and Presbyterian won't like it at all. As bad as all three hospitals want the Fort Mill location I am sure PMC and Presbyterian are watching this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 AM

595 posts, read 1,625,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Now $3.78 million dollars is due in June. There is some powerhouse people on the Culture & Heritage Commission (appointed by the York County Council) and more on the Culture & Heritage Foundation. They want Carolina Healthcare to be awarded the Fort Mill hospital in hopes of selling that land to pay off the debt.
Here's the article in the Herald: YORK | York Co. wants probe on museum foundation | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

It's interesting how choosing a hospital for Fort Mill has so many twists and turns.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 AM

604 posts, read 1,309,393 times
$!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,985,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Here's the article in the Herald: YORK | York Co. wants probe on museum foundation | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

It's interesting how choosing a hospital for Fort Mill has so many twists and turns.
With the courts throwing out DHEC's first award ... when I saw that article and read "The subsidiary has agreed to sell some of the land to a Charlotte-based medical group vying for permission from South Carolina officials to build a hospital in Fort Mill."

My thoughts ... oh no here we go again.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Here's the latest info I have seen:

Quote:
At the end of February, staffers in DHEC’s Health Regulation office sent each of the three hospitals vying to build in Fort Mill a request for more information. That information is due back to DHEC by March 26.
DHEC asks bidders for more information | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2011/03/16/1482779/dhec-asks-bidders-for-more-information.html - broken link)

Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 19,852 times
The decision is supposed to be made in the next several months, but I'm sure that will be followed by a two year appeals process. Those of you that want CMC - do you actually live in Fort Mill? Do you realize that Piedmont is the ONLY hospital in the 'competition' that will pay $4 million per year in property taxes to the Town of Fort Mill, and $3 million of that will go directly to our schools? CMC is already 10 to 15 minutes away with brand new facilities in both Steel Creek and Pineville. Why would you give up $4 million in property tax for a shorter commute to a hospital?? How often do you actually use the hospital? Piedmont was awarded the CON (Certificate of Need) by DHEC almost 5 years ago. CMC and Presby both sued. It seems CMC only sued to slow down the process so they could build and renovate their mexa-plexas just across the state line - 10 minutes from us.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,908,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigtails1969 View Post
The decision is supposed to be made in the next several months, but I'm sure that will be followed by a two year appeals process. Those of you that want CMC - do you actually live in Fort Mill? Do you realize that Piedmont is the ONLY hospital in the 'competition' that will pay $4 million per year in property taxes to the Town of Fort Mill, and $3 million of that will go directly to our schools? CMC is already 10 to 15 minutes away with brand new facilities in both Steel Creek and Pineville. Why would you give up $4 million in property tax for a shorter commute to a hospital?? How often do you actually use the hospital? Piedmont was awarded the CON (Certificate of Need) by DHEC almost 5 years ago. CMC and Presby both sued. It seems CMC only sued to slow down the process so they could build and renovate their mexa-plexas just across the state line - 10 minutes from us.
You say CMC is already close to Fort Mill. Well, so is Piedmont. Rock Hill is practically a stone's throw from Fort Mill. Why should Piedmont be permitted to dominate York County? Just for tax dollars? Come on! South Carolinians deserve to have a CHOICE within their own region. We shouldn't always have to drive across the state line for the care we want and deserve. Presbyterian and CMC deserve an opportunity to expand in to SC. Personally, I feel Presby would be the best choice of the three hospitals. Just look at Presby's quality, community-focused hospitals in Matthews and Huntersville where patients are treated like family. Presby immerses itself in the community and truly cares about the community it serves. I've seen it firsthand. Fort Mill is the next logical location.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Why would you give up $4 million in property tax for a shorter commute to a hospital?? How often do you actually use the hospital? Piedmont was awarded the CON (Certificate of Need) by DHEC almost 5 years ago. CMC and Presby both sued. It seems CMC only sued to slow down the process so they could build and renovate their mexa-plexas just across the state line - 10 minutes from us.
When you are Piedmont's ER dying from a misdiagnosis, I hope you take comfort in the fact that a portion of your medical bills will be going to help the local schools.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Please don't hijack this thread. I asked for news about when the Fort Mill Hospital will be decided. If you want to beat the dead horse on which hospital would be the better choice, there are many other threads on that subject.

I recently heard that the decision will now be made in the next couple of months and no matter who wins, the other two hospitals will appeal. They will have one year to appeal and at best, the appeals will drag out for another two years. The hospital will take at least a year to build...

So that means, we won't be seeing a hospital in Fort Mill until at least 2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties