Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM

75 posts, read 222,229 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are hoping to move near or in Baxter Village area before Fall. My son is a little hesitant about starting in a new school. Though I've told him all the great things Fort Mill HS has to offer, it would be great to get some input from parents with students that attend there. He will start 9th grade in the fall. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 160,255 times
I am new to this forum and we are also planning a move to the Fort mill area, hopefully by the start of school this fall. I have an 11 yr. old son and a 16 yr. old daughter. They are both concerned (the daughter more than the son) about making friends and being accepted. I also think it would be helpful to hear from parents and students or even teachers. Anything I can tell them that might make them feel more positively towards this move would be great. Thanks in advance,
Shelly

Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
We moved to Ft Mill last Nov. My kids are in Ft Mill ES and one is going into Ft Mill MS. I have heard nothing but good things about Ft Mill HS from friends and neighbors. FMHS is overcrowded but that will change this coming school year when the new HS opens. That's the one my kids will eventually go to. You can't go wrong with any of the schools in Ft Mill. So many people are moving into this area that there are always new kids. Finding friends is NOT a problem. Get your kids involved in school and extra curricular activities. That helps a lot.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks Baggleflap - My son is 14, and I keep telling him he will make some new friends with similar interests. He's had a hard time of it here, kids are too rough in his school (mind you I send him to Catholic school). The only kids he hangs out with in our neighborhood are the younger ones. He just doesn't want to move (ever) again, and is afraid Fort Mill won't live up to our expectations. I keep telling him all the good things we hear. Plus, I could use some friends too! I really appreciate all the good input received on the forum

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 AM

80 posts, read 345,329 times
When are you moving down again? We are moving end of July, and I phoned the HS and got info on start dates for things my daughter is interested in doing, mainly tennis. She will start tennis practice two weeks before school and hopefully will meet some kids that way. We moved a year ago, after living in the same place for 7 years. That was hard on her frankly, she was really worried about being able to make friends. She found it was easier than expected, loves it here, and has said repeatedly "Mom, I never want to move from here." Now here we are moving AGAIN, one year later, and she is looking forward to it! If you have bought a home, and it has an HOA, you could contact the head of the HOA and ask him/her where the kids are in the neighborhood that are your son's age - maybe you can get him hooked up right away. But I would emphasize the importance of getting involved in HS activities right off the bat.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Soccermom, Unfortunately we are still in the process of getting our house ready to sell (only have 1 weekend day per week to do this, so its taking forever). Houses seem to be selling in our area, so we are hoping for the best. We loved the David Weekley model at Baxter, but its a bit out of our price range, so we will keep looking. Maybe buy a resale. Its so difficult when when you live so far away! Thanks so much for your input on moving with a teenager. I am hoping once we get there he will feel a lot different/better about things.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM

5 posts, read 21,158 times
Default Fort Mill High School/Neighborhoods

The Fort Mill schools are great. I had two children who attended Fort Mill High. Now that there are two high schools, the schools will be smaller in size which will help immensely. There are so many new people moving into the area that many kids will be in the same boat as yours. The tennis program at Fort Mill high is great as well as many other athletic programs. The High School Band is also very good. We have lived in the area for over 30 years and I think you will find it's a great place for families. We live in Lakeshore in Tega Cay and love our neighborhood.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM

lakeshore47 - Thank you for your reply. I will tell my son about the tennis - he needs to find a sport he likes - I keep trying. ITs good to hear from someone that has had children attend there, thank you. Now if we can just get the house totally cleaned up and ready to sell I will be happy.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,566 times
Default hey new to fort mill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4harveys View Post
I am new to this forum and we are also planning a move to the Fort mill area, hopefully by the start of school this fall. I have an 11 yr. old son and a 16 yr. old daughter. They are both concerned (the daughter more than the son) about making friends and being accepted. I also think it would be helpful to hear from parents and students or even teachers. Anything I can tell them that might make them feel more positively towards this move would be great. Thanks in advance,
Shelly

Hey, my name is Casey, Im the daughter of Annette (amurraymom), and i moved to Fort Mill in November, I was realllllllllly nervous myself but i had met a girl on myspace before i moved here and she helped me a lot. Now, I have so many friends here and I love it. If you want if your daughter has a myspace or a cell phone or something tell her to give me a call or something and we can go down to lake shore and swim and stuff with some of my friends!
I hope I can help you,
Casey :]

Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Hi Casey, thanks so much for your reply (sorry my reply wasn't sooner we were away). I will tell my son Eric (14) what you said and maybe he can sent you his my space page. We are still in the process of selling our home, but it would be great for him to make friends before the move. Thank again Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurraymom View Post
Hey, my name is Casey, Im the daughter of Annette (amurraymom), and i moved to Fort Mill in November, I was realllllllllly nervous myself but i had met a girl on myspace before i moved here and she helped me a lot. Now, I have so many friends here and I love it. If you want if your daughter has a myspace or a cell phone or something tell her to give me a call or something and we can go down to lake shore and swim and stuff with some of my friends!
I hope I can help you,
Casey :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties