Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 PM
ald ald started this thread

59 posts, read 235,699 times

Advertisements

I close on my home in Ft. Mill in a few weeks. Fortunately I was able to register my daughter (she'll start K at Riverview due to freeze at Orchard Park) with the Flyers After SChool Program at Riverview. I heard thru the grape vine that this was a good program but didn't do enough research. I like the fact that the program is right in the school and my daughter will not need to take a bus.

Does anyone have any feedback on the program to share? Also, if anyone has other programs to suggest I'd love to hear about them. After school care is scarce in Ft. Mill not like where I currently live in S. Charlotte.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 20,375 times
Any responses here? I'd like to know about it too.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 AM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
I don't know about the Flyer program, but we hold Leroy Springs in very high regard. We sent our son to their preschool when we first moved here, and now that our daughter is of age we'll also send her there as well. This despite the requirement to drive from our hone in Tega Cay. They seem to have very good programs on many fronts there!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb68 View Post
I found this thread from the original OP...apparently after they had tried the Flyers program at Riverview...doesn't look like they liked it?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...fort-mill.html

Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM

119 posts, read 361,056 times
I think the flyers programs are filling up quickly. Leroy Springs Preschool, in my opinion, is the BEST program around. Period.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I know several people that have their children with the Flyers program in the summer and/or after school and they all love it. Sorry but I don't have any personal experience but I have never heard anything negative about Flyers or the Leroy Springs camps.

Just to give you some perspective, one of the families I know that has their 3rd grade daughter in Flyers is super picky about schools and researches everything. They moved specifically into Fort Mill for the schools even though they have a 45 minute to an hour commute to work and they are putting their daughter in Private school next year when they move to Virginia because they don't like the schools where they are moving to. I say all this because thier life revolves around giving their child the best education, moreso than most people I know.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,107 times
Our daughter is involved with the FLYERs program at Orchard Park and we love the site. It is so convenient to pick her up at the same place as we drop her off. Our only problems have arisen when dealing with the director, I have never been able to get a hold of her on the phone. You'll have better luck finding her teaching swim lessons at the Baxter Y.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
ald ald started this thread

59 posts, read 235,699 times
Default Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb68 View Post
I have feedback...I was the individual that started this thread. My daughter lasted in the flyers program for two days before I pulled her out. It was not what I had expected. The kids were crammed into the cafeteria with very little supervision. When I picked her up the first day she was sitting at a cafeteria table all alone with a bunch of older kids running around. My little girl was miserable....her teacher would drop her off and she would start to cry which is very unlike my child. As a child just entering Kindergarten she needed much more from an afterschool program.

At first I thought Flyers was the best option since the program is located in the school but I was wrong. I did not want to enroll her in an "offsite" program as I was nervous about the bus ride from the school to the after school center. I was wrong! She now attends Carolina Kids and I can't say enough wonderful things about the program. It is well supervised, clean, there are plenty of activities for the children they even have computers and weekly cooking class. She is greeted every day with open arms and love and a great snack. In fact, they are offered several snacks. The playground is great not to mention that the school is new and they are not over crowded. In fact, they do their best to keep the class size low. My daughter comes home happy every day and loves her afternoon at Carolina Kids. By the way, the first day the bus picked her up I was a nervous wreck...Carolina Kids called me as soon as she got to the school and let me speak to my daughter.

Kids R Kids also has a great after school program too.

I would like to add that Leroy Springs Recreation Center is a great place and offers great programs for kids. However, I would recommend another after school program. If you would like more informaiton please send me an email. I am happy to share my experiences.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ald View Post
I have feedback...I was the individual that started this thread. My daughter lasted in the flyers program for two days before I pulled her out. It was not what I had expected. The kids were crammed into the cafeteria with very little supervision. When I picked her up the first day she was sitting at a cafeteria table all alone with a bunch of older kids running around. My little girl was miserable....her teacher would drop her off and she would start to cry which is very unlike my child. As a child just entering Kindergarten she needed much more from an afterschool program.

At first I thought Flyers was the best option since the program is located in the school but I was wrong. I did not want to enroll her in an "offsite" program as I was nervous about the bus ride from the school to the after school center. I was wrong! She now attends Carolina Kids and I can't say enough wonderful things about the program. It is well supervised, clean, there are plenty of activities for the children they even have computers and weekly cooking class. She is greeted every day with open arms and love and a great snack. In fact, they are offered several snacks. The playground is great not to mention that the school is new and they are not over crowded. In fact, they do their best to keep the class size low. My daughter comes home happy every day and loves her afternoon at Carolina Kids. By the way, the first day the bus picked her up I was a nervous wreck...Carolina Kids called me as soon as she got to the school and let me speak to my daughter.

Kids R Kids also has a great after school program too.

I would like to add that Leroy Springs Recreation Center is a great place and offers great programs for kids. However, I would recommend another after school program. If you would like more informaiton please send me an email. I am happy to share my experiences.

Good Luck!
When you posted what you wrote is what I was going to post because of my neighbors experience. I hesitated because you got many other positive replys and I did not want to be so negative. I am sorry I did not say anything. My neighbors go to the one at FMES and I know all the kids really do not like it and a few of the parents really don't like it but don't see many other options. I am going to share what you said about Carolina kids and Kids R Kids.

I hope you found the right fit !

Old 05-03-2008, 02:33 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
ald,

It sounds like your experience was similar to mine. My 8 yo DD went to Flyers for 2 weeks last September and hated it. She cried every day. I moved her to Kids R Kids as quickly as possible - it took a little while because I couldn't reach the director to cancel my bank draft. It should have been a clue that I had tremendous trouble getting a hold of her to register DD in the first place. Not that we're unhappy with Kids R Kids, but there is a definite need for more after school options in the area. In S. Charlotte we used the Morrison Y and it was fabulous! Why don't the Ys here offer programs??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties