U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,393,701 times

Advertisements

Coming down Gold Hill Rd, going towards I-77 to catch it North to Charlotte,
how bad does that intersection back up? Seems to me there's not much room for cars to scoot thru that last light and make the left turn to 77 N.

Just trying to figure out how early to leave in the morning.
Have to be at work 8 am near the Park Rd area. Some friends told me NOT to get off at Tyvola, but rather shoot up to Woodlawn. My employer is located between those two roads, right of of Park Rd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,690,664 times
Yes, the traffic is very bad between exit 2 (Arrowoood going North) and uptown to around exit 9 or 10. If you get off at exit 2 there are a few different ways you can go.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,422,887 times
I am not sure how bad it is at Gold Hill, but if it is bad, come down 160 to get onto 77. It's not too bad (usually) at that intersection.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM

348 posts, read 1,313,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Coming down Gold Hill Rd, going towards I-77 to catch it North to Charlotte,
how bad does that intersection back up? Seems to me there's not much room for cars to scoot thru that last light and make the left turn to 77 N.

Just trying to figure out how early to leave in the morning.
Have to be at work 8 am near the Park Rd area. Some friends told me NOT to get off at Tyvola, but rather shoot up to Woodlawn. My employer is located between those two roads, right of of Park Rd.
I work in the same area and I was told to use Tyvola, not Woodlawn. Haven't started doing that commute yet (close on the house next week).

Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Tyvola is much less congested than Woodlawn, however the intersection at Tyvola and South Blvd does back up a bit. There is also a school just past there on Tyvola and no left turn only lane between South Blvd and Park Rd, so it is best to stay to the right. I lived there for 5 years and I work on Tyvola.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM

8 posts, read 31,113 times
I work off of Park Rd at Abbey Place intersection. I live off Exit 85 in Fort Mill. I am not sure about the Gold Hill part, but I would definitely suggest taking Woodlawn. I have gone both ways and Woodlawn is more direct, and quicker.

Usually, if I leave by 7:15 am, I get to work in about 20-25 minutes. If I leave at 7:30 it takes more like 30-35 minutes. That is without school traffic -I just moved in late June and have made the commute while school is in session.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM

4,146 posts, read 5,753,140 times
The Gold Hill entrance onto I77N isn't bad at all. I leave for work at 8:30 and get to my desk by 9:00 a.m. most mornings (I get off at Remount which is Exit 8). And that's going through the Gold Hill stoplights to get onto I77N. This morning I came into work early - left at 7:45 a.m. and still made it to my desk by 8:15 a.m., so leaving early didn't make my commute any better or worse.

Last edited by Girl; 08-08-2007 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM

I have been in the Woodlawan are recently and Woodlawn is shorter and easier than Tyvola.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,393,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I have been in the Woodlawan are recently and Woodlawn is shorter and easier than Tyvola.
Tell you what, today, at 2:10 in the afternoon, I was done doing the SCDMV thingy, and I got on I-77 and decided to get off at Tyvola. I also work in the Abbey Rd /Montford area off Park Rd.

At 2:30 when I got off the Tyvola exit it was a mess. Traffic backed up both ways on Tyvola could hardly get over to the left to be able to make my turn onto Park Rd. I do understand this may have had to do with some of South Blvd being down to one lane or something along those lines, that I heard on the radio.

I had other co workers who live South of the area say, get off at Woodlawn.
I think I'll try that Monday when I go to work.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 PM

390 posts, read 1,450,656 times
You could also bag the N section of I77 entirely, and take 485 to South, then take Sharon Rd West up to Park. The only bad intersection I can think of would be Park and Fairview.

That route may get worse when the light rail starts running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties