Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move from Columbia, SC to either RH/FM/TC

I have to do this since my wife has got a job in the north of Charlotte [Davidson, NC]

I am very new to SC as well and I am confused which town to pick from either of the three. Since we do not have kids so good school district is not a preference. I would love to live in a good neighbourhood with less or rather no crime rates, with easy accessibilty to shops/malls.

The downtown [i definitely beleive there shud be one] should be good enough too.

Any suggestion of apts in these area ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM

259 posts, read 799,639 times
Hi!

There have been lots of discussions on this forum of apartments in Fort Mill and Rock Hill. Tega Cay is mostly houses but some apartments that are in Fort Mill might have a Tega Cay address.

I am going to suggest that you go to the main page of this forum (York and Lancaster County) and look to the right about an inch or so down for the spot where you can "Search This Forum". Type in "apartments Rock Hill" or "apartments Fort Mill" and it will give you any thread that speaks to those subjects.

I am giving you specific instructions because I noticed this is your first post here. It took me awhile to even see the search function!!!

As for suggestions, I would try to go as north as possible in SC so the trip to Davidson is not so long. That would mean Fort Mill. There is a new apartment complex right off the Gold Hill exit (#88) on I77. I can't remember the name but I know it is in this forum somewhere!!

Any apartment close to I77 in Fort Mill or even Rock Hill would have great access to shopping, malls, etc. Pineville, NC has all the shopping you might want and is about 15 minutes from Fort Mill. As for downtowns, I am not sure what you are looking for. Downtown Charlotte is only 20 minutes or less from Exit 88 on I77 (if not rush hour).

I hope this all helps. I know others will chime in with their thoughts.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,280 times
Can I ask why you wouldn't move closer to Davidson? You are looking at 30+ miles from FM to Davidson, and will be fighting the traffic most of the way.
If you don't have kids, why pay FM prices when you are mainly paying for the good schools?

There are probably many desirable places near Davidson you might consider. I don't know that area real well, but someone should be able to help. Check the Charlotte group for recommendations in that area.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 PM

474 posts, read 1,751,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirban.kundu1981 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move from Columbia, SC to either RH/FM/TC

I have to do this since my wife has got a job in the north of Charlotte [Davidson, NC]

I am very new to SC as well and I am confused which town to pick from either of the three. Since we do not have kids so good school district is not a preference. I would love to live in a good neighbourhood with less or rather no crime rates, with easy accessibilty to shops/malls.

The downtown [i definitely beleive there shud be one] should be good enough too.

Any suggestion of apts in these area ?

Thanks
Any of the 3 SC locations you list would be a brutal commute every day. I'd look at Huntersville, Cornelius, Mooresville, or even in Davidson.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM

218 posts, read 524,201 times
Agree with posters above, the commute would be awful! It would be at least over 1 hr on a good day, if not closer to 2 hrs. There are some really nice areas up north and with your wife working in Davidson, she would have little to no traffic to deal with since everyone else is heading into Charlotte.

Davidson is very quaint with a downtown and there is tons of shopping nearby in Huntersville. It is a bit congested with traffic but I know people who live there and wouldn't live anywhere else in the Charlotte area.

If you have nothing tying your down to SC, do yourself and your marriage a favor and move up north

Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,835 times
Thanks all for your suggestions. Its that my work area is in Columbia, SC for which I will have to drive 70+ miles one way. So we have selected a middle point where my wife will have to drive around 30 mile (one way) and I have to drive 70 mile (one way)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM

259 posts, read 799,639 times
It will probably take your wife as long to drive to Davidson as you to Columbia! But I do have a suggestion for her.

I have taken I77 north and connected to 485 (Inner) heading west. This will take her up to I77 north of Charlotte. I can't remember what exit, but I think it is around exit 23 on I77. This is a longer distance but swinging around the city to the west instead of going through it takes the same amount of time (not in rush hour) and is a much nicer drive. Take a look and see if that would help. It might even lower the drive time in rush hours.

Good luck with this move. Try to move as close to I77 as possible.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
Hi All,
I am looking at a job which would cover Rock Hill and Lancaster. I am currently living in Central Florida and am single with 2 little dogs, no kids (grown child) and love the outdoor life. What would the recommendations be for a living area and social life?
Thank you any suggestions would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties