Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,573 times

Advertisements

Happy To Help All Newcomers.... Ask Away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Your awsome! Were leaving to go there Friday. Places to eat? Places to see? Places to stay away from?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 33,839 times
Hi! I'm from Mass and my dear friend has just moved to Rock Hill last week. We are planning to visit for Thanksgiving and we are considering a move there ourselves. It sounds really great down there! The only thing I'm having trouble with is that I've been reading about alot of crime/violence there. There was one web site I read that compares two different places in terms of crime stats and Rock Hill was almost double the crime rate here and we live in a comparable size city here. I wasn't only Rock Hill either, most places I put in in the south were really high too! I was shocked!! Now my hubby is thinking we shouldn't be moving to a crime ridden area were we won't be safe. I don't get this picture from what I've read or from people I've talked to, but now we are worried.

Thanks for any advice/input!!

Michelle

Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 AM

64 posts, read 315,842 times
my husband and I will be moving to Fort Mill the 1st of Nov. That is if we sell the house here in Ohio! Well he will be there regardless but me and the girls might not!!!!!
My concern is that we are probably going to rent a house first to make sure we know what neighborhoods we like. Can you recommend a great realtor that has connection with rental properties. I have 2 girls --8 & 3.
Also my 8 year old is very into soccer. Do you know of any good youth soccer leagues???

Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Rock hill is high (7&6). Fort Mill is better(4&4)

Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
my husband and I will be moving to Fort Mill the 1st of Nov. That is if we sell the house here in Ohio! Well he will be there regardless but me and the girls might not!!!!!
My concern is that we are probably going to rent a house first to make sure we know what neighborhoods we like. Can you recommend a great realtor that has connection with rental properties. I have 2 girls --8 & 3.
Also my 8 year old is very into soccer. Do you know of any good youth soccer leagues???

hey there fauxgal-I have hesitated on answering your post...since I was not the one that started this thread (didn't want to step on anybodys toes) but since you have yet to receive a response....here goes:

First of all good luck to you....and here's hoping your home sells soon! I do know of a really good realtor (if you wish to PM me I will provide you with their name). As far as soccer...it is very big around here and is offered at the churches, the Y, and parks and rec. Alot of the kids around here play (including Fort Mill) in Tega Cay (Tega Cay Soccer Club), also check through Tega Cay Parks and Rec (website). It is also available at Leroy Springs Complex in Fort Mill, and either YMCA's within Fort Mill (there is one located on Gold Hill Rd-while the other is within Baxter Village in Fort Mill). Hope that puts your mind at ease just a little and again good luck to you!

Old 08-31-2006, 01:14 PM

18 posts, read 146,930 times
Default K4?

I'm not sure if this would go here or somewhere else, but since we're looking at Fort Mill (Baxter Village to be precise) I figured I'd ask here anyway. Coming from California, we have preschool (optional) and then the kids enter kindergarten at the age of 5 (cutoff is December 1st). My son will miss the SC cutoff date by literally 10 days, so when we talked to the school district, they informed us that he'd probably do very well in K4. I had hoped that maybe they'd be flexible with the Sept. 1st cutoff, but that was not the case (not angry about that, after talking to someone at the school district I completely understand why). So, here's my question: is the K4 program like preschool (where I am, that preschool is used mostly to socialize the kids), or is it more like kindergarten for the younger kids with more emphasis on the academia? I don't know anything about it other than it's designed to accommodate those kids very close to the cutoff. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had their children in the K4 program and if so, maybe you can tell me what exactly it is and how you/your kids liked it.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM

56 posts, read 221,170 times
Looking to purchase home in Fort Mill relocating from NY. I visited the Spicewood subdivision homes by Centex in April and liked a few of their model homes. I will be visiting again on Thursday to look at the Gold Hill subdivision by Standard Pacific and a couple of subdivisions by Ryan homes in the area. A good HS is important, but a quality builder in a nice area is the #1 priority looking to stay in the 250k-275k range. I've also seen a couple of post regarding Lake Wylie any recommedations for both areas ?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:07 PM

116 posts, read 430,581 times
Default Jones Branch Subdivision

Anyone live in this area of FORT MILL? I am still looking in Tega Cay but for the sake of being slightly further away from the power plant I might consider FORT MILL if I find a subdivision that's nice in my price range. The Jones Branch homes by LIBERTY are pretty good sq. ft for the money.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
To all looking in Fort Mill and especially you because you mentioned soccer and some other things I wanted to put in a "plug" for my neighborhood - White Grove. I have four kids in fact two of them are 8 year old twin girls, and we love it here. I found that we could get alot more for the money in this 8-10 year old neighborhood then alot of other places. We play soccer at leroy springs and I have coached my girls team. My oldest is currently playing basketball at the springs as well. My youngest also goes to pre-school at the springs ( tip no matter where you move sign up for pre-school early- maybe even before you move) . The area of fort mill is an area filled with transplants ( or at least this has been my experince) so it may not be as different as you would think. I left all my friends and close knit family and now even if given the choice I would never move back to PA. My neighbors are all in our same situation as us and we are really there for each other. It was nice moving into and established neighborhood because they all knew where everything was,names of good doctors, car pools I could get in and so on. As far as crime, I have never been effected and hope not to be. I am not sure if it is worse or better it just is reported differently. Comming from outside Philly I can say I feel more at ease going into Charlottee with the kids alone then I did Philly. The main things on the negative side are that I found groceries to be more expensive ( but housing and taxes are cheaper) Also in MY experince that while the schools are good and I love the diversity that we did not have in PA the schools pull from a much larger and more varied social and economic pool. While there has not been a specific problem at school- the teachers seem to spend a lot of time on childrens behavior issues. My one daughter complains that she can't learn enough because her teacher always has to yell at a group of kids. I volunteer at school alot especially in her classroom and while the teacher is great she ended up with a group of students that should have never been in the same class. My other kids do not seem to have the same issues or at least not to the same extent. I always have to remind myself I am the one comming in and I can't expect everything to be perfect or the same as where i came from and that is not a bad thing. As long as you are willing to be part of the soultion you will do well with any challenges a move brings.

Sorry for the long rambling. BTW- we did not use them as our realtor but we found the allen tate web site Allen Tate Family of Companies great to search by neighborhoods. Just use some of the post on this forum to look up some great houses and neighborhoods.

WHite Grove, Knightbridge, Dominion Bridge and so on.

Good luck.

Last edited by sixinthefamily; 01-20-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: missed a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties