Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM

351 posts, read 655,100 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move to the area, but probably not before end of summer as I had hoped. I have a son who has a summer birthday and I really feel like he should've been held back a year before he started public school. Issues started arising with him by 3rd grade, which seems to be a pivotal year. My hope was that we would be there by the start of the school year and I could hold him back and no one would be the wiser. His birthday is in July and he will 12, going into 7th grade. I have heard how great Fort Mill schools are, I've looked them up at schooldigger.com too. Would the schools frown upon putting my son back into 6th grade if he started school up there at the beginning of October? Nothing is set in stone, and he will have to start 7th grade here the first week of August. It's going to be a hard enough adjustment as it is going to a highly rated school and then to have the age issue on top might put him over the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

396 posts, read 975,144 times
I think it would be best to actually contact the school you are interested in sending him and get their input. You don't say what issue came about with him in third grade. Is he not able to keep up academically? There's a learning center in Baxter Village in Fort Mill that could possibly help him adjust to a new school and his studies. I don't think you'd have to sign any contract. You could have him there just for as long as you need. Here is a link:NewPoint Learning Center | Tutor and Tutoring Services | Fort Mill South Carolina SC .

I'm a summer baby myself, but have been out of school for a loooooong time! :-)

Get your son's input, too. Maybe he won't want to be held back and might do really well at the center. I don't know how much it costs, so that may be an issue, I don't know.

Whatever you do - good luck! I'm sure things will work out nomatter what you decide. Hang in there!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM

351 posts, read 655,100 times
Academically he always squeezes by. One issue is maturity. I had the hardest time getting him to be serious about school when he started middle school last year. Disorganization, "forgetting" to bring his stuff home to study, etc. And I know part of that is being a boy. However, my older DS is so organized & makes straight A's. So, anyway, academically his issue is reading and reading is important in all subjects. It seems every other year he has to go into a special reading group for extra help. My son is perfectly fine with being held back should we move. I think he would rather get the extra year, but as long as we're here he doesn't want the embarrassment that goes along with it since his buddies are moving up. He figures he's gotta make new friends in Fort Mill regardless. Not sure which school he would be at. We would be renting an apt, the two schools that we looked at were Gold Hill & Springfield.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 PM

396 posts, read 975,144 times
Truthfully - any school in Fort Mill he ends up at will be good. If he doesn't mind getting held back, maybe that WOULD be the ideal situation. You may still want to try the learning center - maybe for just a month or so? Also - I was wondering if you had him checked for dyslexia? It's really common and from my understanding, children with learning disabilities have it and it's not diagnosed for a while because no one thinks of it. Just a thought. I hope it all works out for you and your boy. : - )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties