U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 AM

9 posts, read 31,244 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm from Mass and my dear friend has just moved to Rock Hill last week. We are planning to visit for Thanksgiving and we are considering a move there ourselves. It sounds really great down there!

The only thing I'm having trouble with is that I've been reading about alot of crime/violence there. There was one web site I read that compares two different places in terms of crime stats and Rock Hill was almost double the crime rate here (we live in a comparable size city here). I wasn't only Rock Hill either, most places I put in in the south were really high too! I was shocked!!

Now my hubby is thinking we shouldn't be moving to a crime ridden area were we won't be safe with our three small kids. I don't get this picture from what I've read or from people I've talked to, but now we are worried.

Thanks for any advice/input!!

Michelle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 07:28 AM

73 posts, read 302,539 times
You cant put stats up against experience. Take it from a local. Every city in America has a crime-ridden neighborhood that makes their stats go up. It may be one street that is full of crack houses 15 miles away from where you live. Stats are just stats. My advice would be to give your friend time to find out what it is like in Rock Hill, then get their opinion. Most people on here will probably tell you to look into Fort Mill which is 15 minutes away from Rock Hill and is supposedly a better area. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 AM

I agree, it will be interesting to see her take on life after she's been there a while. She did not look into the crime before she moved and I don't think that she had any idea it was quite so high.

While I do agree about stats being what they are, just numbers and can be skewed any number of different ways. Having the number of violent crime being almost three times what we have here is nothing to sneeze at or brush aside. There is a big difference in the crime stats for Fort Mill too as compared to even the areas we consider as high crime in MA. I guess my major concern is that there seems to be a lot of "big city" type violent crimes and alot of theft even in the smaller towns in SC. Is it really only kept to the "bad" areas of town? Or is it more wide spread? How safe do you feel? You are right, there is crime in every town. That's why I posed these questions to people like you who live there.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 AM

73 posts, read 302,539 times
In the city I live in, there is a state route that runs right up the middle of town. On the east side of it there are drugs, shootings, stabbings, rape, etc. while on the west side those crimes are virtually unheard of. Its like an entirely different city. It seems alot more prevalent in the south though. By the way, Im from Ohio. I have family in the Carolinas and am considering moving south. But because I live in Ohio, I dont feel qualified to give a more detailed analysis. Im just letting you know that my city shows a high crime rate while still being relatively safe.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,723,421 times
Rock Hill is pretty large (well, for SC standards) and very spread out. I for one...do not care for stats, or crime indexes, or a blah..blah..blah...it is to much like when people make blanket statements. In Rock Hill you can find very nice places, not so nice places, very rural, very, very rural, very cityfied...you name it...it's in Rock Hill. I always advise folks to get in touch with the local police department where they are looking...then you will know for sure what you are getting into. Yes, there are certain parts of Rock Hill I would not move to...yet there are far many other parts of it...I would not think twice about moving to (just like anywhere else). I also suggest you or anyone else come see for yourself...it may not be for everybody...but apparently your friend felt confident enough in her decision to make the move.

p.s. just as a side note I live in Tega Cay, SC (York County)

Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 PM

Honestly, I was hoping you would put your thought in on this topic lovethecarolinas. I have followed along with many other threads and your in put is always thoughtful and you seem to have a good feel for the area.

We do plan on visiting my friend over thanksgiving. So, I am still keeping an open mind. My friend has an aunt/uncle who have lived in Rock Hill for many years and she used them for advice, etc. They (and many others) told them it is a very wholesome place to raise your family. And many, many people (on this site and others I've been reading) just love this area and wished they had moved sooner. When I read about the crime (especially the violent assault/rape/murder) it just didn't seem to be going along with what everyone else has been saying. This is why I posted the question. I've been hoping what you have said is how things are. Like I said, I'm still keeping an open mind about it I just wanted some opinions from people who live there and how safe they feel. Because in the end it's all about how you feel about where you live as to how happy you will be.

Thanks again for your opinions, they are much much appreciated!

Michelle

Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,723,421 times
Hey there Michelle-I hope you enjoy your visit at Thanksgiving. You might take a look at the following site:

http://www.cityofrockhill.com/rhpd/pressrelease.asp (broken link)

All of these areas around here are growing...and it never seems to fail...that with growth comes more crime. I am not having you check out this link to alarm you, nor do I want to atempt to downplay the seriousness of these crimes. But my intention was (if you have the time) to take a look at the addresses....if you start inputing each address into say...Mapquest...you will start to see a pattern form (if you don't have the time...they are in the general vicinity of downtown Rock Hill...I am sure I will make a lot of friends with what I just wrote )...but my point is also to say that leaves....a heck of alot more of Rock Hill to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy3RD View Post
Honestly, I was hoping you would put your thought in on this topic lovethecarolinas. I have followed along with many other threads and your in put is always thoughtful and you seem to have a good feel for the area.

We do plan on visiting my friend over thanksgiving. So, I am still keeping an open mind. My friend has an aunt/uncle who have lived in Rock Hill for many years and she used them for advice, etc. They (and many others) told them it is a very wholesome place to raise your family. And many, many people (on this site and others I've been reading) just love this area and wished they had moved sooner. When I read about the crime (especially the violent assault/rape/murder) it just didn't seem to be going along with what everyone else has been saying. This is why I posted the question. I've been hoping what you have said is how things are. Like I said, I'm still keeping an open mind about it I just wanted some opinions from people who live there and how safe they feel. Because in the end it's all about how you feel about where you live as to how happy you will be.

Thanks again for your opinions, they are much much appreciated!

Michelle

Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 78,362 times
I live in Rock Hill and have my whole life - you have absolutely nothing to worry about and you are going to love it here!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,472,447 times
I've been in Rock Hill for several years now and have never felt unsafe in the city.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,147 times
Rock Hill has nice areas to live in as well as downright ghetto. Do you homework! Take a drive down Cherry Rd on a Saturday night and you can see how bad it can be. It's just like every city, there are areas that you definitely don't want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties