Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,481 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a home by the end of the year. I live just over the border, down the street from Carowinds, and I like the area, and want to stay in the area. It's very important to me to be near a highway of some sort (in this case I-77), but it's also equally, if not moreso important to avoid subdivisions and HOA's at all cost. Without getting too much into the politics of HOA's, I want a home, not an "investment," and want to be able to do what I want to it.

My issue is that in searching for homes for sale in that area, I've yet to find a single one that isn't assigned to a subdivision. I've got over 275 homes to look at, but was hoping if anywhere here knows of an area around there that you won't have to worry about HOA's, and can just own your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM

396 posts, read 977,579 times
I think your best bet would be to speak with a realtor on the subject. Non HOA areas seem really hard to find in Fort Mill. I believe if you live on a "main road" you could find something. Here's a few:

Home for sale 1

Home for sale 2 (http://www.kw.com/homes-for-sale/29715/SC/Fort-Mill/3550-Doby-Bridge-Road/3yd-KW-1163_2022777%203yd-KW-4310_1076087.html - broken link)

Home for sale 3

Main roads I can think of are Sutton Road, Pleasant Road, Doby Bridge Road... again, speak with a realtor. You could give them your price range, house requirements, etc. I know you may not want to live on a main road, but I wish you luck in your search. You may even want to look for land for sale where you could build your own home?

Last edited by plotzonit; 07-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
I think your best bet would be to speak with a realtor on the subject. Non HOA areas seem really hard to find in Fort Mill. I believe if you live on a "main road" you could find something. Here's a few:

Home for sale 1

Home for sale 2 (http://www.kw.com/homes-for-sale/29715/SC/Fort-Mill/3550-Doby-Bridge-Road/3yd-KW-1163_2022777%203yd-KW-4310_1076087.html - broken link)

Home for sale 3

Main roads I can think of are Sutton Road, Pleasant Road, Doby Bridge Road... again, speak with a realtor. You could give them your price range, house requirements, etc. I know you may not want to live on a main road, but I wish you luck in your search. You may even want to look for land for sale where you could build your own home?
I appreciate your help on this! It's not the end of the world if we don't live there, obviously, but it's still a bit disheartening. the 2nd property is more the type of home we are looking for, but it's a bit too far away from the interstate for my liking, and I've heard bad things about traffic on Doby Bride Road. thank you though!!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 PM

14,491 posts, read 20,678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a home by the end of the year. I live just over the border, down the street from Carowinds, and I like the area, and want to stay in the area. It's very important to me to be near a highway of some sort (in this case I-77), but it's also equally, if not moreso important to avoid subdivisions and HOA's at all cost. Without getting too much into the politics of HOA's, I want a home, not an "investment," and want to be able to do what I want to it.

My issue is that in searching for homes for sale in that area, I've yet to find a single one that isn't assigned to a subdivision. I've got over 275 homes to look at, but was hoping if anywhere here knows of an area around there that you won't have to worry about HOA's, and can just own your home.
Got an agent already?

Carowoods subdivision does not have an organized HOA. The only rule I know they enforce, or used to enforce, was no clothes lines. My father lived there for 25 years and you can burn trash, etc.
It's off Pleasant Road and off Whitley Road. When my father sold his house there were a couple for sale in that neighborhood, so drive through there and you might find one.

Carowoods is called a subdivision but the HOA's is inactive. No rules other than hanging laundry on a clothes line.
I stopped and asked someone who had been living in there for years, and they were nice and glad to tell me about the HOA, rather the lack of one.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Got an agent already?

Carowoods subdivision does not have an organized HOA. The only rule I know they enforce, or used to enforce, was no clothes lines. My father lived there for 25 years and you can burn trash, etc.
It's off Pleasant Road and off Whitley Road. When my father sold his house there were a couple for sale in that neighborhood, so drive through there and you might find one.

Carowoods is called a subdivision but the HOA's is inactive. No rules other than hanging laundry on a clothes line.
I stopped and asked someone who had been living in there for years, and they were nice and glad to tell me about the HOA, rather the lack of one.
Thats awesome! I don't really do clotheslines, but I will check out Carowoods`! Though I'v'e been here for a year, you guys have some great insight living there that I don't and I truly appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties