U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 189,932 times

Advertisements

We had Krispy Kreme and Dunkin where I grew up (Louisville, KY area), but the local shops blew them away. The local places main focus was doughnuts and not just a general bakery. If they did have a bakery it was just a side thing where they did cakes here and there, but the main focus was the doughnuts. Many of these places close before noon.

As for us, it is not a hurry to go get doughnuts that made us curious. It was just the fact we didn't notice any places. My wife is actually from So Cal and they have doughnuts places there as well. It just seems like they are not here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,625,430 times
Umm..... there arent any Krispy Kreme stores in Rock Hill, Fort Mill or Charlotte. I dont want to drive to Mathews on rt 74 just for a donut. Having them in a gas station or grocery store doesnt count.

I also miss a good local bakery, where you can get MORE then just donuts. A good turnover, pie, cake or etc is always nice to have every so often.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Just thinking of Krispy Kreme donuts makes me want to hurl. I'm a sugar junkie, but they are the worst donuts ever. They coat your mouth with grease that sticks all day. But I'm not here to yuck on anyone else's yum. To each their own. I do miss the mom n' pop bakeries. I guess if you've never had donuts from them, then you just don't know. But I've really got nothing to complain about. So I can't have a good donut. There's more to life.
Growing up in Rock Hill we had Betty's Cake Box on Oakland Ave. Great bakers owned the place. They baked breads, donuts, cookies, pastries, pies and even wedding cakes. It was the only bakery in town and closed in the late 70's.

In the 90's a lady opened a donut shop in Lake Wylie. It was located in the shopping center where Fred's is now. She only had donuts and cooked them right there behind the counter. The business didn't last long .. but the donuts were delicious.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM

259 posts, read 723,304 times
We really like Breadsmith in Fort Mill on Rt. 160 up from Baxter. They don't have cakes or donuts but they have fabulous bread they bake on the premises.

We are also loving their "pie breads". Apple, blueberry, peach baked into the bread.

You can also get their breads at Earthfare in Rock Hill.

Try them out!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,229,868 times
MJ Donuts is in Pineville not too far from the mall

Mj Donuts - Pineville, NC

They have a good donut

Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJoe View Post
I miss all the Italian bakeries in western NY. You just don't find any down here. Cupcrazed in Baxter makes a good cupcake though.
+1.. mmmm paula's doughnuts

Perks in Lancaster is pretty good compared to dunkin and krispy kreme. They make a pretty solid glazed doughnut (comparing to good glazed in wny). For some strange reason though, they don't do an angel creme doughnut.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,641 times
Breadsmith on 160 by the AutoZone is amazing; it's a chain but the only local one around here

Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM

12 posts, read 14,468 times
I haven't been to Cupcrazed Cakery yet but the Fort Mill Times put out an article a few weeks ago that said the owner, Heather McDonnell, won Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars” so I'm dying to try it. You can read the FMT article here: Baxter baker wins in hot finale of ‘Cupcake Wars’ | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2011/09/12/1702246/baxter-baker-wins-in-hot-finale.html - broken link)

Old 06-04-2016, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 604 times
MJ Donuts is good. There are a couple of others I want to check out listed in this article. Not a KK or DD fan. [url]https://www.charlotteagenda.com/12853/top-5-donuts-in-charlotte-ranked/[/url]

Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 589 times
I have heard there is a great donut shop in Matthews called Your Mom's Donuts. Has great reviews. I keep meaning to get myself over there but I've been told to arrive early or you'll be standing in a line. They close when they sell out of donuts. Website isn't kept up to date the best but Facebook and Instagram are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties