U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 PM

29 posts, read 97,535 times

Advertisements

I came down last weekend and I am in love. I visited the Southwest side of Charlotte and also homes in the Fort Mill area.
My favorites are Regent Park, English trails, Sandy Pointe, Huntington Forest, and Berewick. Is the tax difference between Charlotte and Fort Mill THAT huge in price difference? I heard that Fort Mill has a "millage" rate. How do you calculate taxes for that area?
If anyone from these neighborhoods could give me the pros and cons (if there are any) about the area, it would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 PM

10,085 posts, read 10,299,520 times
I can't tell you much about the housing developments but I can tell you Fort Mill taxes will be cheaper then Mecklenburg County/Charlotte City taxes. In addition if you have school age children the Fort Mill schools are excellent. Fort Mill is a wonderful place to live with a quick access to everything Charlotte has to offer.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 AM
ald

59 posts, read 222,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine2u View Post
I came down last weekend and I am in love. I visited the Southwest side of Charlotte and also homes in the Fort Mill area.
My favorites are Regent Park, English trails, Sandy Pointe, Huntington Forest, and Berewick. Is the tax difference between Charlotte and Fort Mill THAT huge in price difference? I heard that Fort Mill has a "millage" rate. How do you calculate taxes for that area?
If anyone from these neighborhoods could give me the pros and cons (if there are any) about the area, it would be greatly appreciated.
I just moved from Ballantyne (South Charlotte) to Fort Mill. I closed on my home last week. I loved Ballantyne as it has everything at your fingertips great stores etc. However, I have a young daughter who is starting Kindergarten and made the move largely due to the schools. The Fort Mill schools have a great reputation. In addition, the price of homes have rised significantly and I got more home for my money in Fort Mill. I am very pleased with my choice and have no regrets. My neighborhood is new and my neighbors are great and there are lots of kids! Fort Mill is also so close to uptown and you avoid the 485 mess. In fact I work north of the city and my commute is much easier

Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 AM

53 posts, read 156,200 times
ald...

what comm did you buy in? also looking at ft mill and schools are very important. thanks.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,771 times
Our family just moved in April just down the road from Sandy Pointe and we love it here.The neighborhood is quiet, and Fort Mill schools our great. When we move my son was in kindergarten and will be entering first grade next week, he loves his new school and can't wait to go back!
Taxes are not that bad here, they are about 600 less than what we paid in PA and are supposed to go down when bills are sent in november.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,885 times
I moved to the Fort Mill area a couple of years ago. I originally bought a Mulvaney-Matamy home. I loved the home and the development. The home was very well built and reasonably priced and the amenities were great. Swimming pool, work out room and club house. My 90 yr. father decided to relocate here and live with me. MY oldest son is in real estate and convinced me to look for a bigger house so we would have more room. Hence CP Morgan. When I first signed on to buy the house in Baden Village I loved the floor plan and everyone was so nice. Once the building started I never received any updates on the progress. I was living and working in Tennesee at the time. As so many people have stated the basic house is a shell so of course that meant a lot of trips to the CP Morgan showroom. What a nightmare that was. The people working in the showroom don't have a clue. They have nice enough personalities but they are robotic in action. They don't advise you on anything or follow through on anything. One example was my son's home. He added a window in his family room. He then later added surround sound and when asked where he wanted it he told them on the outside wall. They never checked his plans that there was a window there so they put surround sound around the window. When he asked why they didn't say anything their reply was well people do unusal things. Who in their right mind would surround sound a window. I closed on my home in December and then the nighmare began. To date I have had over 20 defects/repairs in my home. Several of them major. The first was a major leak which resulted in completely recarpeting my house. The second major was a gas leak. I told several of their service managers and even had them come look in my laundry room that I smelled gas. They said it was nothing to worry about. I finally got their attention when I got angry and they had the gas company come and look at it and sure enough there was a sizeable gas leak. My shower doors in the master bath kept falling off the track. One time I was actually in the shower and when I went to close the doors they came off in my hands. I told them if they were not fixed the next time it happened I would be taking them down to the office.It took me over 4 months to correct this problem. I have had leak problems, electrical problems, dishwasher problems, lawn problems, gas problems, and now I still have closet doors off of the track and my carpeting they replaced is buckling because it probably wasn't stretched correctly. Everytime I called which was many, many times it took forever to get any action. CP Morgan continually tells you that they are concerned about good customer service and quality. but that is BULL. My Matamy home had two minor defects. I called they were fixed immediately and I still own the home and have had no further problems. Our community was promised a pool and a playground for the kids. We finally got the pool in July but the playground is nowhere is sight so now people are building playgyms for their children on these tiny lots which detracts from the neighborhood. The sod they installed in my son's house, same development, is all weeds. Cp Morgan admitted it was all weeds but refused to do anything about it. Once they get your money you are dead meat. The only thing they give you is a dam coupon at closing to go get free paint that will match what they have done. Matamy gave each homeowner a nice little repair kit.
BELIEVE me I would NEVER recommend building a CP Morgan home unless they get their act together and start treating their customers and quality differently. If I had it to do over again I would look at another Matamy home. You people out their shopping might consider that. As for CP Morgan, Stay clear................

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM

4,125 posts, read 5,653,310 times
Divine2u - as far as I know, ALL towns have a millage rate to help calculate the property taxes. Fort Mill taxes will be lower than Charlotte simply because it's NC vs. SC and Meck. County vs. York County. They use different rates to calculate their property taxes. For a house in the $250K range, property taxes would be about $1500 in Fort Mill area (but a bit higher in the actual Fort Mill TOWNSHIP) and Charlotte would (probably) be more than twice that. I'm not a C'lotte resident though, so that's just a guess on my part as to how much the C'lotte prop tax would be. PAtoFMSC is correct that Fort Mill's prop taxes are due to be reduced come November due to a 1% increase of the sales tax to 7% to pay for school budgeting as opposed to having it paid out of prop taxes. Lest the 7% sales tax worry you - rest assured, Meck. County already has a 7% sales tax in place, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Fort Mill schools are outstanding and highly rated. The area is growing nicely and has a lot of amenities nearby. I don't know if you checked out Knightsbridge, which is a 10-year-old subdivision with a great commute time to Charlotte, but it's a great neighborhood and worth adding to your list. Home price ranges are $240K - $350K.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 AM

29 posts, read 97,535 times
Thank you all for the replies.

What is the difference between the Fort Mill Township and the Fort Mill area?

I have young children. One will be starting middle school and the other will be starting elementary. I pulled up a copy of the bus routes and saw that the elementary kids will be picked up at 7am and the middle school kids at 7:49. That seems pretty early for the young ones to have to get on the bus.

In Fort Mill, I loved Sandy Pointe the best. Are there any other subdivisions in the $170-$220 price range in the Fort Mill area?

(Sorry if my questions are ALL over the place:)

Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,653,310 times
The main difference between FMT and FM is that the township has services as part of their property taxes - trash service, street cleaning, etc. Those in "plain ol'" Fort Mill have to sign up for trash service. See the map on this page - the YELLOW part is the township: Fort Mill Downtown Association, Fort Mill, South Carolina - Area Information Page But yet much of the area west and north of that yellow stuff is still Fort Mill (but not part of the township itself).

Old 08-16-2007, 12:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,792,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
The main difference between FMT and FM is that the township has services as part of their property taxes - trash service, street cleaning, etc. Those in "plain ol'" Fort Mill have to sign up for trash service. See the map on this page - the YELLOW part is the township: Fort Mill Downtown Association, Fort Mill, South Carolina - Area Information Page But yet much of the area west and north of that yellow stuff is still Fort Mill (but not part of the township itself).
Girl - no disrespect but I believe you have it backwards. Property taxes will be less if you are located in Fort Mill Township (this is the fastest growing portion within the Fort Mill area). The Fort Mill Township is the unincorportated portion of York County (so you do not pay for town services). In the Township you have to aquire your own trash service, etc....and the area is protected by York County Sheriffs.

Now if you are in the Town of Fort Mill (this is what is often referred to as the historical portion). You do pay slightly higher property taxes as you are paying for town services (Fort Mill PD, and trash etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>