U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,402 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (early 30's - no kids) are having a tough time finding a church home. We live in Rock Hill (have tried many churches here) and may be moving to Fort Mill soon. We are looking for a Baptist / Methodist / Non-Denominational type church that is on the traditional side (where people actually dress up nice) and on the large side (b/c we want to get involved in group bible studies with other people our age - something lacking in small churches). Would love to hear recommendations!! Even South Charlotte church recommendations would help. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 13,828,660 times
Have you guys tried First Baptist, West End Baptist, or St. John's United Methodist in Rock Hill?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 PM

390 posts, read 1,446,228 times
If you end up needing to trek to South Charlotte, sounds like Forest Hills Community Church offers what you're looking for. And IIRC, another poster a while back mentioned that they have satellite services somewhere down here.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,402 times
Have tried First Baptist, West End, and St. Johns. Actually went to First Baptist for quite awhile and just needed a change. St. Johns we thought had some good services (we've been there several times), but seems to be lacking in Sunday School / Bible studies, and doesn't have a lot of people our age. We had a tough time finding our niche there. We probably didn't give West End a good chance (may try there again), although if we move to Fort Mill / Tega Cay (which we want to), West End is a bit far (as is St. Johns).

May give forest hills a try...

Any other recommendations? Has anyone been or heard anything about Calvary Church in South Charlotte? I know it's really big. My wife and I are thinking of trying it as well.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,641,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
If you end up needing to trek to South Charlotte, sounds like Forest Hills Community Church offers what you're looking for. And IIRC, another poster a while back mentioned that they have satellite services somewhere down here.
This is a very good church and not a bad drive from Fort Mill to the main campus which has a 6pm Saturday service. It is big and used to be Presbyterian but now is n/d. They have the smaller satellite service on both sides of Fort Mill, one at Ballantyne Village Theatre and one at Manchester Cinemas in Rock Hill. Both are very short drives.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM

474 posts, read 1,676,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2trvl View Post
My wife and I (early 30's - no kids) are having a tough time finding a church home. We live in Rock Hill (have tried many churches here) and may be moving to Fort Mill soon. We are looking for a Baptist / Methodist / Non-Denominational type church that is on the traditional side (where people actually dress up nice) and on the large side (b/c we want to get involved in group bible studies with other people our age - something lacking in small churches). Would love to hear recommendations!! Even South Charlotte church recommendations would help. Thanks!!
We've attended First Baptist in Fort Mill a couple times. We like it fine, but their approach is way too strong for my tastes. We've received 14 mailings in 3 weeks (no lie), two emails, one phone call, and one uninvited showing up at our house Now, we did fill out the form requesting information, however, I was expecting a packet of information in the mail, not to be hounded....

Like I told the guy that came to our house, we're trying out a number of different churches, we'll narrow it down, and then make a choice, but their approach is really turning me off.

We used to attend Forest Hills when we lived in Charlotte and liked it a lot. David Chadwick is an excellent speaker. However, we'd like to find something closer to us in Fort Mill.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM

4,137 posts, read 5,708,567 times
BKQC - if you liked Forest Hill, consider attending the Ballentyne or Rock Hill campuses. Manchester Cinemas in Rock Hill is only a ten minute drive for me. And since the satellite locations show the David Chadwick sermons, you can still enjoy that part of the Forest Hill experience!

I agree that First Baptist of Fort Mill is really aggressive after you visit and fill out that little card. We got put on a mailing list that was inundating. We finally called them and demanded they remove us from the list. We got a couple more pieces from them and then they finally stopped. Phew!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:48 PM

285 posts, read 970,316 times
I have visited Tega Cay Baptist the last few weeks. I like it. It is medium-sized, much smaller than First Baptist in Rock Hill, but I like Tega Cay better. They have home-based groups, but I have not yet attended. It is probably where I will end up joining - I got a very good vibe the first time I visited unlike FBC of Rock Hill (FBC did a full court press the first couple of weeks after I visited - sending a visitor with brownies and putting me on mailing lists and calling several times). I'm a Christian, a life-long Baptist and it still hit me wrong.

Tega Cay is a blend of traditional and contemporary. Has a praise band that performs, majority still dress up (but I feel perfectly comfortable going casual), and you still get a traditional choir and a real sermon too. I did not fill out a visitor card here (after the FBC experience), so I don't know if they do extreme follow-up or not.

Good luck.

Liz

Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 AM

209 posts, read 586,804 times
What do you mean by small satelite service?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,641,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schun22 View Post
What do you mean by small satelite service?
Satellite services are worship services down at locations other than the main church, most often in a movie theatre but sometimes in places like a YMCA. With Forest Hill's main campus, which we peridocally attended when I lived in Charlotte, the parking and things like that can be a little chaotic. The satellites services generally run a week behind the main campus except during Christmas and leading up to Easter. We most often go to the service at the Ballantyne Village Theatre, but occasionally go to the one in Rock Hill at Manchester Cinemas. Both locations have a 9:30 and 10:45 service. There is no problem parking at either campus because so much is available on a Sunday morning. The BV service serves complimentary It's a Grind Coffee and the Rock Hill location serves coffee from Panera Bread. Both locations also have kids camps during the services (though BV seems to have more). Also if you miss a service at FH, you can watch online or get the free cd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties